"The Dark Knight" Continues its March for Oscar

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
"The Dark Knight" Continues its March for Oscar

Christopher Nolan's comic masterpiece makes a clean sweep of the 35th annual People's Choice Awards and picks up another major nomination along the way.

Viewers who tuned into CBS' broadcast of the 35th annual The Dark Knight [http://www.pcavote.com/pca]" took home awards for favorite film, ensemble, superhero, action movie and on-screen match-up for Christian Bale and the tragically departed Heath Ledger, for their respective performances as Batman and The Joker. Upon receiving the award, Bale thanked the fans for their support and paid respect to his co-star saying, "Here's to Heath."

This isn't the first awards ceremony of the season in which the Batman has managed to clean out the joint with its nominations as its been making short work of critics awards with over 15 sweeps in areas such as San Francisco, Austin and Toronto. Newsarama [http://www.newsarama.com/film/ap-090108-dark-knight-director.html] reports today that Christopher Nolan has received a Directors Guild of America nomination, adding more fuel to its Oscar fire.

While a best picture win for "The Dark Knight" sounded impossible only a few short months ago, its current string of accolades and a weakened pack has greatly improved its odds. With the potential front-runner "Wall-E [http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/curious_case_of_benjamin_button/]."

"The Dark Knight" has already done more than enough to prove that movies based on comic books are worth taking seriously, even without an Oscar win. Its most definitely facing an uphill battle and even if the world isn't ready to accept a comic book film as the picture of the year, its nomination as one looks to be a certainty.

Nov 28, 2007
Considering how poor this year was for movies, I honestly would not be surprised to see this movie win an Oscar for Best Picture.

ffxfriek

Apr 3, 2008
Codgo said:
Its was a fantastic movie and one of the better films of the year but i'm not entirely sure its Oscar material. I'd bet money that if Heath Ledger was still alive it would not have been considered for one and also the movie would have gotten much less attention.

I guess everybody gets a buzz outta seeing a dead guy on screen in his final performance.
as much as i hate to admit it....i think its true

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
ffxfriek said:
as much as i hate to admit it....i think its true
It's not.

thedrop2zer0 said:
I remember there was talk about how amazing Heath's performance was even before he died.
This, for months prior to the first footage being shown publicly.

PirateKing

Nov 19, 2008
I still say Sin City is the best comic book movie ever made. But the academy could never take a movie with trippy visuals seriously...oh wait!(2001: A Space Odyssey!!!)
I would love for a movie that I loved to win best picture for once. Or, should I say, a movie that everyone loves. Not just the guys in the back rooms, deciding what is and isn't art while sipping martini's, smoking cigars and writing essays about how great Citizen Kane is.
As glad as I am that Batman is getting an Oscar nod I'm a bit worried about the future of the film industry. There were virtually no original movies this year! Pretty much anything that did well was based on a comic, book, or short story. Here's all the ones I can think of right now. The Dark Knight, The Incredible Hulk, The Spirit, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Marley and Me, Iron Man. I'm sure there's more that I can't think of right now.
So what I'm saying is...write an original screenplay!
When is someone going to write the next Matrix?! Huh!

Brockyman

Aug 30, 2008
Codgo said:
Its was a fantastic movie and one of the better films of the year but i'm not entirely sure its Oscar material. I'd bet money that if Heath Ledger was still alive it would not have been considered for one and also the movie would have gotten much less attention.

I guess everybody gets a buzz outta seeing a dead guy on screen in his final performance.
Yeah, your right. It wasn't "artsy" and "douchey" enough to be up for an Oscar normally. But maybe this year will be one of those rare years when they don't pick a film house turd that made $50 at the box office, and go with a good movie, like they did with Braveheart and LOTR: Return of the King.

You are right about Ledger though (may he rest in peace). He's only done ONE good role, the Joker. Everything else he's done as been for angsty teens or that gay movie.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I very reluctantly watched Batman Begins and was amazed to find a Batman movie that I liked. Finally a movie based on a mainstream comic book that contains credibility and substance and that lacks all the cheesy nonsense and funky colors of the previous adaptations.

I would never have thought it possible. I would give an Oscar for defying my expectations (in a good way)

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I'm just pissed it didn't unseat Titanic from the "#1 box office grosser of all time" slot.

Ah well, at least it has an Oscar chance. The geeks truly are taking over [http://www.cracked.com/article_16920_2008-year-geeks-took-over.html].

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
harhol said:
I couldn't take the gruff Batvoice seriously. It's a muddled and pretty boring movie anyway. Ledger's performance is the definition of over-acting, at times laughable. With all this in mind, it'll probably win the Oscar.
Bale's Bat voice was the one thing I didn't like about that film. It sounded like he had a blocked nose and sore throat when they shot those scenes. For me Kevin Conroy will always be the voice of Batman.

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
I can't believe the amount of press about the Dark Knight, I've seen at least 5 articles on various websites about it just being nominated for an Oscar. It gets such a ridiculous amount of attention and does it really warrant it? I realize that most people felt it was a brilliant film, but it is being treated as if it is the best movie ever made, and does everyone honestly think that it is?

I'll probably catch a lot of flak for this, but I think Heath Ledger's suicide was the best thing that could have ever happened to this movie. I honestly feel a lot of people just fell into the crowd, believing that it was an outstanding movie just because of his death.

Nico4

Dec 24, 2008
Good, I'd be happy if The Dark Knight wins most oscars, including best movie