"The Dark Knight" Continues its March for Oscar

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
thedrop2zer0 said:
KSarty said:
I'll probably catch a lot of flak for this, but I think Heath Ledger's suicide was the best thing that could have ever happened to this movie.
He didn't commit suicide. His death was accidental.
Whether it was intentional or not, he killed himself, therefore it is a suicide.

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
thedrop2zer0 said:
KSarty said:
thedrop2zer0 said:
KSarty said:
I'll probably catch a lot of flak for this, but I think Heath Ledger's suicide was the best thing that could have ever happened to this movie.
Whether it was intentional or not, he killed himself, therefore it is a suicide.
If you accidentally die without the intention of killing yourself, that is not suicide. Sorry.
It is toeing the line, I'll grant you that. I don't consider it any different than someone flying down the highway at 130 mph and slamming into a wall. Technically its an accident, but its really a suicide too.

Regardless, my point had nothing to do with the particulars of his death, just the fact that he died.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
KSarty said:
I can't believe the amount of press about the Dark Knight, I've seen at least 5 articles on various websites about it just being nominated for an Oscar. It gets such a ridiculous amount of attention and does it really warrant it? I realize that most people felt it was a brilliant film, but it is being treated as if it is the best movie ever made, and does everyone honestly think that it is?

I'll probably catch a lot of flak for this, but I think Heath Ledger's suicide was the best thing that could have ever happened to this movie. I honestly feel a lot of people just fell into the crowd, believing that it was an outstanding movie just because of his death.
It's not just about the quality of the movie. The fuss is also because a movie about a comic book superhero is being considered of high enough quality to be Oscar-worthy. It's a paradigm shift. It illustrates that maybe, just maybe, you don't have to have a British accent or be wearing period costume to be considered to have given an excellent and worthwhile performance. That genre movies might be worthy of accolades other than Best Makeup or Visual Effects.

For years, excellent cinematography, acting, writing, and directing has gone ignored by the Academy because it wasn't in the "right" kind of movie. So for Dark Knight to be nominated is encouraging.

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
KSarty said:
I can't believe the amount of press about the Dark Knight, I've seen at least 5 articles on various websites about it just being nominated for an Oscar. It gets such a ridiculous amount of attention and does it really warrant it? I realize that most people felt it was a brilliant film, but it is being treated as if it is the best movie ever made, and does everyone honestly think that it is?

I'll probably catch a lot of flak for this, but I think Heath Ledger's suicide was the best thing that could have ever happened to this movie. I honestly feel a lot of people just fell into the crowd, believing that it was an outstanding movie just because of his death.
It's not just about the quality of the movie. The fuss is also because a movie about a comic book superhero is being considered of high enough quality to be Oscar-worthy. It's a paradigm shift. It illustrates that maybe, just maybe, you don't have to have a British accent or be wearing period costume to be considered to have given an excellent and worthwhile performance. That genre movies might be worthy of accolades other than Best Makeup or Visual Effects.

For years, excellent cinematography, acting, writing, and directing has gone ignored by the Academy because it wasn't in the "right" kind of movie. So for Dark Knight to be nominated is encouraging.
I can see that, being the first of it's genre to receive the award is larger than just receiving the award itself. I'm guess I'm just irked by how much media attention is focused on the possibility of it getting the award.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Dark Knight was a great movie, but Heath Ledger plays such a captivating role as the joker that whenever he appears on screen, its a relief. The rest of the film is...good, not great.

Plus, Batmans fucking voice...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=w2yv8aT0UFc

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
I liked the movie, but I have no idea what the academy are thinking or what they judge by. Actually I've never gotten objective judging of entertainment in general. If it doesn't win a single Oscar then who cares, the movie is still there and it's still as good.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Susan Arendt said:

I think The Lord of the Rings films deserve some credit for making this possible.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Keane Ng said:
Susan Arendt said:

I think The Lord of the Rings films deserve some credit for making this possible.
Agreed. They set a high water mark in virtually every way (Elijah Wood's glassy stare notwithstanding).

Ray Huling

Feb 18, 2008
Keane Ng said:
Silence of the Lambs, really. Slasher flicks are a genre even lower than comic book movies.

And the success of that movie, too, turned on its charismatic villain.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
KSarty said:
thedrop2zer0 said:
KSarty said:
thedrop2zer0 said:
KSarty said:
If you accidentally die without the intention of killing yourself, that is not suicide. Sorry.
It is toeing the line, I'll grant you that. I don't consider it any different than someone flying down the highway at 130 mph and slamming into a wall. Technically its an accident, but its really a suicide too.
Teh catholic church would disagree with you.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
Lets just hope that this isn't like LotR where they won like, 20 oscars.
no they deserved all the oscars it got, the movies were simply amazing AND actually stuck to the books, for the most part. also due to the fact the director made such great films consider what he made previous to those movies

Keane Ng said:
Sorry, Punisher War Zone was the best comic book movie this year.
no the hulk was, they trashed yonge st and left the zanzibar intact :)

as for the topic on hand, yes his performance is good but i don't think Heath deserves an oscar for it. i think it would be more of a pity oscar and not in the way Scorsese's was for The Departed cause frankly Martin got screwed a few times in the past for them. i think cause Heath died and there's a big upcry over it he won't win the oscar. however i think it would be nice for the Dark Knight to win some oscars

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
I would like to respecfully disagree that the joker was Heath's (god rest his soul) only good role, as I thought he was also very good in A Knight's Tale, and to an extent the buffoon he played in Brothers Grimm. Also, I would think he deserved the award for his performance even if he hadn't tragically passed away, but I will agree that his performance made that movie so awesome.

Brockyman

Aug 30, 2008
Real Gonzo said:
Brockyman said:
You are right about Ledger though (may he rest in peace). He's only done ONE good role, the Joker. Everything else he's done as been for angsty teens or that gay movie.
That's an ignorant thing to say.

The movie was one of the better superhero movies I've seen.
Indeed, I agree it should be up for an Oscar. You need to learn the meaning of satire. While I truly don't think any of his other roles were Oscar worthy, the "angsty teen or that gay movie" was clearly meant for comic effect.

I didn't see Brokeback Mt, so I really can't criticize (other then that horrible scene from the trailer "I don't know how to quit you").

Sorry if you took my humor out of context, and mean no disrespect to the deceased or the gay community.