Pentagon Considering "Virtual Parents" For Military Kids

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Pentagon Considering "Virtual Parents" For Military Kids

As the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan drag on, the Pentagon is investigating new technologies to help families deal with long-term absences, including computer software that will let children interact with "hologram-like" representations of parents who are deployed overseas.

The defense department has begun to solicit companies interested in developing the technology, which it says should be able to offer children "a simulated conversation with a parent about generic, everyday topics. For instance, a child may get a response from saying 'I love you' or 'I miss you' or 'Good night.'" The software will require voice recognition and must be customizable for individual families, and be able to give "the illusion of a natural (but simple) interaction."

"The children don't quite understand mommy or daddy being deployed," explained Commander Russell Shilling, a Navy psychologist overseeing the program. "That kind of interaction - the need to say goodnight or to continue to feel connected to a parent - is very important."

The technology may be cutting-edge, but the concept is also undeniably game-like. "We are looking for innovative applications that explore and harness the power of advanced interactive multimedia computer technologies to produce compelling interactive dialogue between a service member and their families via a PC or web-based application using video footage or high-resolution 3-D rendering," the solicitation says. The military is accepting submissions from companies until January 14, after which it plans to award three contracts of up to $100,000 each to begin work on the project.

Some observers have expressed concern over the impact on young children of "virtual parents" who continue to live on after the real parent has been killed in action, but Shilling said the risks and benefits of the technology are still being examined, and that the project will be shut down if it proves excessively problematic. "Part of the research is to look at its safety and efficacy," he said. "We'd never put anything out until we are certain that it is good for the family."

And while Boston University Professor of Psychology Catherine Caldwell-Harris expressed support for the research, she questioned how both kids and other family members might react to it. "How would a young child understand an artificial-intelligence program that is a simulacrum of their parent?" she said. "Would the A.I. spouse be a nice stimulant to my own memories? Or would I even get more angry at the Army and think, 'They're just trying to fob off this fancy technology on me so they can send my husband out on his next tour'?"

Source: Time.com [http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1870426,00.html?cnn=yes]

man-man

Jan 21, 2008
Jeez... saw the headline in my RSS reader and thought it was some new form of 3D video call to beam a virtualised copy of a parent home to the kids.

Instead it's creepy beyond belief.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Malygris said:
"The children don't quite understand mommy or daddy being deployed," explained Commander Russell Shilling, a Navy psychologist overseeing the program. "That kind of interaction - the need to say goodnight or to continue to feel connected to a parent - is very important."
Well then help them understand. Don't try and hide it, they're not as stupid as this guy thinks. They'll figure it out!

And then we shall be DOOMED! in exactly the same situation we are now.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
I don't think they should underestimate a child's ability to understand situations around him/her. If they don't understand, try to explain it to him or her.

And yes, this IS creepy.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
...Yeah I got to agree this is creepy. Here's a better idea- why not let the servicemen record virtual messages for their children? I know we have e-mails and video conferancing, but thats only when you have access to a laptop. Why not, y'know, let them record messages to their families (Hey son, sorry I couldn't be there for your birthday, but me and mom got you a great gift...) to be delivered by this virtual thing.

Having digitized AI parents is just creepy though.

Novajam

Apr 26, 2008
I love you daddy.
I love you too too too too too too too -bluescreen-

But really, this sits a bit wrong with me. I don't think you should create something to warp a child's perception of what's happening. Just be honest with them. It'll do them more good in the long run.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I'll agree with everyone, this is insanely creepy.

If the parents are killed in action, I consider it cruel to the child that the holograms continue to go on and pretend as if nothing has happened to the actual parents.

This just seems cruel to the child to me.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
This is rather disturbing, besides, unless its a really young kid, they aren't going to fall for it. There's no way I'll ever say "I'll love you" to a machine. If the father/mother dies, I actually think it'd be a good thing for the kid short term, until they got old enough to see they are being duped.

ForrestDixon

Jan 9, 2009
I think thats really cool but and sorta creepy. But its in the name of science and its helping kids cope so I guess its for the better

Hunde Des Krieg

Sep 30, 2008
C Lion said:
This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Either the young kids will accept it and become more attached to it than their real parents or the older kids will reject it for the retarded, creepy idea that it is.
^Pretty much that

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
There is not much I can add here that hasn't already been voiced, but I would like to point out that child-parent interaction is more than just visual and audio, it tends to involve all the senses.

Danny Ocean said:
Malygris said:
Well then help them understand. Don't try and hide it, they're not as stupid as this guy thinks. They'll figure it out!

And then we shall be DOOMED! in exactly the same situation we are now.
Quoted and bolded for truth. If my own experiences with my 1.5 year old daughter is anything to go by, children are really good at understanding concepts. Heck, I manage to shock other people when she starts helping me with the dishes, cleaning up, swimming, climbing, and generally figuring things out really fast - to the point where she is already figuring out how to trick adults and then get them to go easy on her when they figure out they were just duped by a 1.5 year old by smiling and laughing.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
...Yeah I got to agree this is creepy. Here's a better idea- why not let the servicemen record virtual messages for their children? I know we have e-mails and video conferancing, but thats only when you have access to a laptop. Why not, y'know, let them record messages to their families (Hey son, sorry I couldn't be there for your birthday, but me and mom got you a great gift...) to be delivered by this virtual thing.
Phones, anyone?

It's also not like the kids are just going to be abandoned in the house alone, they'll probably have family friends or something staying with them to help out, or they'll be boarding somewhere else.

CanadianWolverine said:
Quoted and bolded for truth. If my own experiences with my 1.5 year old daughter is anything to go by, children are really good at understanding concepts.
Kids are like sponges, right? You tell them how to do something and they refine it so fast it's ridiculous.
In some areas, I actually feel myself becoming 'slower' as I get older. That might just be my age though.