185: Mod & Blade

pparrish

Oct 2, 2008
Mod & Blade

Mount & Blade is one of the few examples of a modding community that developed alongside the game itself. Peter Parrish examines the history of this mounted combat sim and what makes it so attractive to modders.

Read Full Article

Dechef

Feb 7, 2008
See, it's not hard to just talk to your fans.
Mount & Blade is great, respect for the devs.
This is rather disturbing though: "Peter Parrish is a freelance writer. He would like to mount and blade you."

Graham

Dec 5, 2008
Great article, and I love this design philosophy. I'm hoping some bigger name companies might start adopting it, although I suppose it might put some testers out of work.

I was unfamiliar with Mount and Blade, but I'll definitely check it out.

angryscotsman93

Dec 27, 2008
God bless whoever wroe this article! I've always loved that game, and I think that it deserves more support from the gaming community, just like all good Indie games.

Stormcloud

Oct 15, 2008
I have been with Mount and Blade since about 0.78 ish, and it's definitely one of my favourite games, I have racked up more hours on various mods than both oblivion and fallout 3 combined, and I still go back for more.

Clemenstation

Dec 9, 2008
Dechef said:
This is rather disturbing though: "Peter Parrish is a freelance writer. He would like to mount and blade you."
Terribly disturbing!

But the article is a nice intro to a game that I've heard a bit about, but clearly not ENOUGH. Must... upgrade... CPU unit...

ntnimara

Oct 3, 2008
I bumped into Mount and Blade some time ago..
It is a brilliant idea
A game that is developed through the players

It also has a fairly clear goal: To simulate mount combat as best as possible.

I tried the demo at one point, and instantly thought the game, although far from complete, was ambitious and had much potential

I put it aside though for a while. Now I'm glad to hear that the game is still moving along strong.

Who knows, maybe it will set a precedent for a new method of development

Good article.. amusing final words..... I think... :p

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
I bought into the Beta when it was about $12 and change (the version number escapes me). Since then, I've been overjoyed by the community that supports Mount & Blade and overwhelmed by the number of mods that cropped up in response to this game, even though it was an indie game with less than major publicity. The game necessitated an extra hard-drive, solely because there were so many modifications to download and install. Perhaps this is why their joining with Paradox seems to fit so well, as that is a publisher which encourages people to mod their games in much the same way TaleWorlds does.

Thanks for your article, which chronicles what I think is the best story that comes out of M&B, the modding community. Gamers haven't seen this kind of response to a game since Half-Life (and HL2) were put out. I think it is the mark of truly great games that they not only entertain, but also inspire people to improve those games by adding and altering them, and by allowing people to do so.

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
Mount and Blade Native (unmoded) sucked up many days of my life. Now the 100 years war mod is doing the same. I like how the article braught up the pay for beta funding moddle they used. I hope it catches on with other development houses. I think it would inproove developer-consumer relations immesurabley.

Beefjerky

Sep 9, 2008
Great article. And M&B jumped right up on my list of greatest games ever as soon as I first played it.

DarthNader26

Aug 20, 2008
Finally, some recognition for this masterpiece!

I picked it up around version 0.707 (something like that :S) and I haven't been able to put it down since. It easily stands up to "bigger, better" games like Oblivion and Neverwinter Nights. The flexibility of the game is indeed it's greatest aspect, and I can't recommend Mount and Blade enough!

Hawkzor

Jan 31, 2008
Amazing game. I don't think it's even close to having the best moding community for a game (far, far from it) but there are still some great mods and the game itself is a huge moding opportunity. Also the link to the mod Calradia at War (nice mod) is an older version of the mod compatible for an old version of M&B, so if your interested, make sure you grab the newest version.

Resin213

Jan 22, 2009
M&B is my favorite game out there at the moment. I've been looking around at the mod community and have sincere hopes for The Castle Black team. The Song of Ice and Fire are some of my favorite fantasy books, and I couldn't think of a better game to represent it than M&B.

It's been stated over and over that they have no plans for a multi-player version, but I sure want one.