Activision Confirms DJ Hero For 2009

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Activision Confirms DJ Hero For 2009

Activision CEO Bobby Kotick has confirmed the existence of the oft-rumored DJ Hero, a Guitar Hero spinoff with a turntable peripheral.

Though the existence of a Guitar Hero spinoff called DJ Hero has basically been assumed since Activision trademarked the name last year (and since it just makes so much sense), Activision has been coy about making the game official. Now, Activision CEO Bobby Kotick has made something of an inadvertent official announcement of the game's existence, even pegging it with a release window of later this year.

Speaking on the success of peripheral-driven games during an interview [http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=289004&cl=11788588&src=finance&ch=4043681] with CNBC, Kotick pointed out the massive success of Guitar Hero and then mentioned another game that will presumably come in a gigantic box: DJ Hero. "We have this product called DJ Hero coming out later this year, which is a turntable that you actually can play competitively and spin discs and mix songs," Kotick said.

DJ Hero won't be the only videogame record-scratcher in town this year, though. This spring will see the release of Numark [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86691-Scratch-The-Ultimate-DJ-Announced], the world's most ubiquitous DJ equipment manufacturer. Sounds like Scratch certainly has its stuff together, so we might see a battle for the throne of top DJ game before year's end.

As for DJ Hero, rumors point to certain guitarists [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/5442-Review-B-Boy] have over Guitar Hero. Somehow, I doubt it.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
I think Activision has gone off the deep end.

DJ Hero? Really?

One day, all these rhythm-based games are going to get old; why speed up the process?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I'm still waiting for Acordian Hero people!

Or to be more realistic, Piano Hero.

Archereus

Aug 18, 2008
omg.... they are starting to get pretty money hungry now. A DJ hero of all things too. If it were up to me we should boycot all of the activision Hero games and that will straighten them out

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I still prefer Heroine Hero. I still can't catch that freakin' dragon...

(Old reference, I know, but give me a break.)

I don't know about this... It could be interesting, but it could also be just sad.

LesIsMore

Jul 22, 2008
Karaoke Hero is soon to follow, a game that allows users to pretend to pretend to be musicians. The separation from actual music will be so broad users will be asked to surrender their eardrums and vocal cords before purchase.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
This guy is worse than Peter Molyneux(or however you spell his name), DJ Hero, wow, next will be Orchestra Hero.

SecretTacoNinja

Jul 8, 2008
Jumplion said:

Ocarina or Trumpet Hero for me.

I recall watching a review of a game like this, it was absolute suck from what the reviewer said. Maybe Activision can do better... I doubt it, it's a silly idea.

Arassar

Nov 25, 2008
Tenmar said:
Doesn't that already exist in the arcades as well?
IIDX [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatmania_IIDX]

At this point I feel kinda bad for Konami. All their videogame ideas are being ripped off.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
Keane Ng said:
Numark, the world's numero uno DJ equipment manufacturer.
No Keane Ng, Numark is not the worlds number one DJ equipment manufacturer. By volume, yes, they create the most, but their quality is absolute garbage. If you are going to DJ, you need Tecs for tables and a Rane or Pioneer Mixer. Anyone who buys Numarks is just wasting their money. I know this because I'm a DJ, and have been for the better part of a decade.

That being said, I'm not quite sure how this game will work. There's much more to being a DJ than scratching. Will they encorporate different styles of mixing, beat-matching, queing? No matter what, I will give it a try, but as of now, I'm still skeptical.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
Jumplion said:

To be fair I would play Piano Hero. But DJ.. that's one game where you can freely despise anyone who plays it for no reason whatsoever other than that they play.

irrelevantnugget

Mar 25, 2008
Tenmar said:
Doesn't that already exist in the arcades as well?
It does. Beatmania. Look it up on youtube and weep.

I myself have been enjoying a beatmania 'clone' recently on my PSP, named DJ Max Portable. Instead of a turntable, you'd just have to nudge the nubbin instead.

I DO wonder which music they'll use in DJ Hero, though... since I've been playing songs like this in DJ Max [link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO8FzCgCqVU[/link] ... I very much doubt they'll do this to Western audiences.

Also, I demand Drum 'n Bass Hero. With a REALLY sturdy drumkit.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
mokes310 said:
Keane Ng said:
No Keane Ng, Numark is not the worlds number one DJ equipment manufacturer. By volume, yes, they create the most, but their quality is absolute garbage. If you are going to DJ, you need Tecs for tables and a Rane or Pioneer Mixer. Anyone who buys Numarks is just wasting their money. I know this because I'm a DJ, and have been for the better part of a decade
Jeeze louise, mokes310. Post updated to meet your standards.

roflchopter

Jan 26, 2009
I don't know about you guys, but personally I think this sounds bad ass.
HAHAHAHAHA what has this world come too. : P

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
Keane Ng said:
mokes310 said:
Keane Ng said:
No Keane Ng, Numark is not the worlds number one DJ equipment manufacturer. By volume, yes, they create the most, but their quality is absolute garbage. If you are going to DJ, you need Tecs for tables and a Rane or Pioneer Mixer. Anyone who buys Numarks is just wasting their money. I know this because I'm a DJ, and have been for the better part of a decade
Jeeze louise, mokes310. Post updated to meet your standards.
Thanks Keane Ng, that's much better. I just have very strong opinions regarding what good DJ'ing gear is :)

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
mokes310 said:
Thanks Keane Ng, that's much better. I just have very strong opinions regarding what good DJ'ing gear is :)
I wasn't aware that we had a DJing gear connoisseur in the audience. *tips hat*

MosDes

Jul 16, 2008
I do believe the "Hero" series started to get bad at Guitar Hero 3: too many vibrant colors, too much confusion, such poor multiplayer, etc. Not to mention and more of a problem at RedOctane, I've never had a problem with any of my plastic instruments until the GH:WT ones, my whammy bar internal assembly fell apart, strum bar excessively noisy, bass drum pedal cracked, microphone I gave away (but I think it is Logitech, which rulz!).

Essentially all I'm saying is their quality control sucks and is consistently getting worse.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Everyone has seen that joke about Cowbell Hero (only has one song) and Harmonica Hero (only has like 3 different artists), right? The Cowbell Hero joke is from AMV Hell 4.

Cowbell Hero:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlqLLZQLNiA

Hermonica Hero:
Can't seem to find the right one. Found a different one that wasn't funny, so I'm not putting the URL.

Either way, this is what were going to end up with.