Deus Ex 3 Details Revealed By Czech Website

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Deus Ex 3 Details Revealed By Czech Website

Czech gaming website Hratelne [http://hratelne.centrum.cz/preview/clanek.phtml?id=623266] has gotten its hands on some Deus Ex 3 details, and some charitable souls on the official Eidos [http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=85713] website have very kindly translated it all for us.

In a preview article on Hratelne, details about the game's plot and gameplay have been revealed, hopefully assuaging fears that the next installment will be another Invisible War.

Apparently, DE3 will continue the series' globetrotting tradition, with the game visiting five major cities including Shanghai, Detroit and Montreal. The article also revealed that the art direction will take a different tack from 'traditional' cyberpunk dystopia, with vibrant, renaissance-inspired colors standing in contrast with the near monochromatic palette of genre. The plot will apparently feature yet more shadowy cabals and secret societies and will show the events that led to the creation of UNATCO, JC Denton's employer in the original Deus Ex.

On the gameplay side, the article talks about a new social interaction system which requires players to pay close attention to a subject's facial expressions and body language, squad-based enemy AI, the difficulty of boss fights varying depending on your previous actions and more details on how the augmentations will categorized and how they will affect the game.

All in all, it looks like Deus Ex 3 is shaping up to be a much more subtle beast than the developers initial comments [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86958-New-Deus-Ex-Wont-Be-Dumbed-Down-For-Consoles] led us to believe.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/01/30/czech-website-reveals-new-deus-ex-3-details/]

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
nilcypher said:
In a preview article on Hratelne, details about the game's plot and gameplay have been revealed, hopefully assuaging fears that the next installment will be another Invisible War.
So, they mean it's not going to be any good then? That's disappointing...

OK, so I'm sure DX3 will be good but Invisible War was a good game also. Even if it is fashionable to bash it, like it is with Heroes...

blindey

Dec 30, 2008
MarsProbe said:
nilcypher said:

OK, so I'm sure DX3 will be good but Invisible War was a good game also. Even if it is fashionable to bash it, like it is with Heroes...
By Heroes do you mean the series?

Anyway, the way (legitimate) people bash it is because of the first game. If you played the first and then the second, a LOT of things had changed: The mono-ammo (all guns used an "energy" kinda thing, just used it in different amounts), the general level / difficulty is way toned down (Though the biotics system (Forget what ti's called at the moment) was still intact, and even improved upon. The skills system was non-existent int he second if I remember rightly. That's what I could think of off the top of my head.

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
blindey said:
MarsProbe said:
nilcypher said:

Anyway, the way (legitimate) people bash it is because of the first game. If you played the first and then the second, a LOT of things had changed: The mono-ammo (all guns used an "energy" kinda thing, just used it in different amounts), the general level / difficulty is way toned down (Though the biotics system (Forget what ti's called at the moment) was still intact, and even improved upon. The skills system was non-existent int he second if I remember rightly. That's what I could think of off the top of my head.
There is an even simpler way of saying it: The original was a PC game, invisible war was a console game. You can't make a console game as good as a PC game, it simply cannot be done, so the high standard that had been set by the original could not be matched (in relative terms) as the game needed to be able to run on consoles.

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
February PC Powerplay mag (If you're in Aussie or someplace that gets it) has a DE3 preview also, more screen-shots including concept sketches for a swank nightclub and a vicious chisel-resembling melee weapon extending from a mechanical arm.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Dys said:

There is an even simpler way of saying it: The original was a PC game, invisible war was a console game. You can't make a console game as good as a PC game, it simply cannot be done, so the high standard that had been set by the original could not be matched (in relative terms) as the game needed to be able to run on consoles.[/quote]

Aye, I meant Heroes - was the new Lost in more ways than one. Mainstream press all over it like a bad rash, then they all start flaying the thing to shreds as soon as shows signs of slipping. Anyway, that's a different subject. If Fringe hadn't slipped under the radar comparatively as far as I know, I'd expect the same pattern to occur with that series (and maybe it will one day...)

Anyway, granted that a lot of things changed between DX1 and 2, but I didn't necessarily view them all as negatives (even the skills system, I eventually didn't even notice that wasn't there). Hmm, I wouldn't agree with the idea that a console game can't be better than a PC game - after all Gears of War 2 was better than Spore...:p But seriously, just because a game is made for a console as opposed to a PC doesn't make it worse automatically, only different, mainly through being more accessible. I much prefer console games these days, if mainly because I just don't have the time to sit and install a game before playing it these days.

For the record, I did buy Invisible War for the PC, didn't have a console at the time. That and IW's music was superior...:)

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
nilcypher said:
Apparently, DE3 will continue the series' globetrotting tradition, with the game visiting five major cities including Shanghai, Detroit and Montreal.
Montreal? Self serving bastards...

They could tell me that this would be coming packaged with Duke Nukem Forver and it wouldn't raise my spirits. They gave it a bloody cover system, and they bashed the first game...what brand of crack are they smoking over there? It sounds like they have some good ideas coming with it but it will still won't meet expectations, and expectations weren't even that high to begin with.

EMO_of_LiGHT

Jan 25, 2009
I could attempt a translation of the article... my Czech is rusty though, I haven't used much of it in a good while.

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
MarsProbe said:
Dys said:

There is an even simpler way of saying it: The original was a PC game, invisible war was a console game. You can't make a console game as good as a PC game, it simply cannot be done, so the high standard that had been set by the original could not be matched (in relative terms) as the game needed to be able to run on consoles.
Aye, I meant Heroes - was the new Lost in more ways than one. Mainstream press all over it like a bad rash, then they all start flaying the thing to shreds as soon as shows signs of slipping. Anyway, that's a different subject. If Fringe hadn't slipped under the radar comparatively as far as I know, I'd expect the same pattern to occur with that series (and maybe it will one day...)
*edit* I've broken the quote, I might fix it later.

Anyway, granted that a lot of things changed between DX1 and 2, but I didn't necessarily view them all as negatives (even the skills system, I eventually didn't even notice that wasn't there). Hmm, I wouldn't agree with the idea that a console game can't be better than a PC game - after all Gears of War 2 was better than Spore...:p But seriously, just because a game is made for a console as opposed to a PC doesn't make it worse automatically, only different, mainly through being more accessible. I much prefer console games these days, if mainly because I just don't have the time to sit and install a game before playing it these days.

For the record, I did buy Invisible War for the PC, didn't have a console at the time. That and IW's music was superior...:)[/quote]
I don't beleive they could have made it play more like the original Dues Ex on a console, without forcing irritating loading times and a very inaccessable UI. I don't think as a blanket rule all PC games are better than consoles games, because, like you said, games like spore and GoW prove otherwise, however I don't think a franchize like Duex Ex, or eldar scrolls, can make the change without annoying people (I hated oblivions interface, and I get the feeling a lot of morrowind fans also disliked it). And remember when invisible war was released consoles were not as shiny and relatively powerful as they are today.
There is no doubt in my mind that a lot of the changes people resented were because the game was made for consoles and ported to PC.

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
Could be good... although most of these gimmicky 'see what they truly mean by the facial expression' et al will either not work or be taken out because 'it was too difficult'. Like 99% of all unique concepts that has ever been thought of.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
If they screw this one up, then.... then....

I will be vewy, vewy ANGWY!!!

ratix2

Feb 6, 2008
it wasant that it was developed for the consoles, what made iw suck is that the games director (harvey smith) literally said "everything that people thought that was good about deus ex, everything everyone loved about it, actually made it bad". THATS why iw wasant as good.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
I'm going to give this a chance, just to see how it treats the story background.

But I'm still skeptical, very skeptical.

Singing Gremlin

Jan 16, 2008
Some of that stuff is promising, though. Body language and facial expression? Pretty cool, at least they're obviously not taking it down the path of mindless shooter.

Lord RPGs

Jan 31, 2009
Well, this is one of those times when any other time, I'd be glad to hear more info about this game, and other's of it's ilk.

Sadly, it comes at a time when I am all but broke, am trying to put together a computer that could actually play it/anything made within 3 years previous from now, and trying to keep getting more anime/manga.

I look forward to it, but then again, I was never too good at the first Deus Ex, and somehow I doubt my skills on this'll be much better. Curse ye, limited ammo and a near-requirement to be good at stealth.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Dys said:
I don't beleive they could have made it play more like the original Dues Ex on a console, without forcing irritating loading times and a very inaccessable UI. I don't think as a blanket rule all PC games are better than consoles games, because, like you said, games like spore and GoW prove otherwise, however I don't think a franchize like Duex Ex, or eldar scrolls, can make the change without annoying people (I hated oblivions interface, and I get the feeling a lot of morrowind fans also disliked it). And remember when invisible war was released consoles were not as shiny and relatively powerful as they are today.
There is no doubt in my mind that a lot of the changes people resented were because the game was made for consoles and ported to PC.
Heheh, my Spore/GoW comment was a bit silly really as I imagine you were really meaning games in the same series suffering the transition from PC to console.

Anywho, enough about these ancient relics of the past :), I should be posting about DX3 after all. I am glad they are going back to having different ammo types for each weapon, which I suppose makes sense as that was some fancy future technology they only had at the time of IW. There's frequent mention on the sites of course that the game will lead up to the formation of UNATCO. While that's all very exciting and all, I hope there's more lead in to the first game than just that. Would be interesting to find out how they start the switch from the mechanical augs to nanoaugmentations, for starters.

Personally I'd be more interested to see how VersaLife came to be than anything else, not to mention how they game to monopolise the worlds designer coffee industry. :) Though, I may have made that last part up. Hopefully likely, considering their connection to MJ12 in the first game.