Resident Evil 5 Coverage Reignites Racism Debate

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Resident Evil 5 Coverage Reignites Racism Debate

New impressions of Resident Evil 5 from Eurogamer and others have reignited the debate over whether or not the game's portrayal of Africa and its people is racist.

Just when Capcom thought it might be able to release Resident Evil 5 without seeing this preview [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/04/10/newsweeks-ngai-croal-on-the-resident-evil-5-trailer-this-imagery-has-a-history/] of the game that makes some pretty alarming claims about the game's arguably racist imagery. Writing that "there's imagery in here that goes beyond the general air of foreign menace that caused a ruckus in the first trailers," Eurogamer's Dan Whitehead goes on to describe a scene where protagonist Chris Redfield comes cross a gang of men beating something in a sack. These men are not the "infected Majini," they are "ordinary Africans, who stop and stare at you menacingly as you approach...where Africans are concerned, the game seems to be suggesting, bloodthirsty savgery just comes with the territory."

Whitehead goes on to describe a moment later in the game where a white blonde woman is violently dragged off by black men, a scene he says is completely irrelevant to the plot, that plays "so blatantly into old cliches of the dangerous 'dark continent'...you'd swear the game was written in the 1920s." Later on, Whitehead says, there are even more "outrageous and outdated images." He also remarks that the image of Sheva, Redfield's partner in the game and a light-skinned, English-speaking African, fits into accepted Hollywood standards for black heroines, and "compounds the problem rather than easing it."

Eurogamer isn't alone in its reactions. Posting on the Shacknews [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=351348]] (who played the same stuff as Eurogamer) independently had similar reactions."

Reactions to Whitehead's impressions, as to be expected, have been decidedly split. Some argue that it's entirely a non-issue and that the debate stems for over-sensitivty. "Man if this game was taking place in Canada and had white people doing this, no one would complain," GAF poster Pedobear said [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14654385&postcount=41]. "It seems every single time there is something related to violence in Africa it's automatically racism. It's a f***ing videogame. Give me a break."

Others seem to be more upset that Capcom would be ignorant enough, even after the initial controversy, to keep such insensitive material in the game. "What's most offensive about this to me is that there are so many ways to do a zombie game in Africa in a manner that either skirts the obvious racial types or that cleverly exploits them," sonicmj1 wrote [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14654323&postcount=33]. "This news seems to show that Capcom had no idea what they were actually doing when they were including these sorts of images in the game."

Whatever the angle you take on the debate is, there's no doubt that it's a complicated one. What do you guys think?

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
I think this is an old, BS argument that needs to die already. Look around, the world is full of racial stereotypes and things that could easily offend. The bigger a deal we make of this crap, naturally the harder it is to make it go away. Not to mention, the age old argument that when you were killing white zombies, no one cared. When you were killing mexican zombies, no one cared... why should we care when the focus has been shifted to the originating location of black people? What else would we kill there? And I don't know, I haven't played the demo yet, but in regards to the "ordinary Africans, who stop and stare at you menacingly as you approach".... what the fuck would you expect when some foreigner comes waltzing in carrying a ton of guns? Maybe the air of the environment due to what's going on around the world, and with the zombies, might have something to do with the characters not feeling too overly welcoming with your presence in the game? In any case, people are taking this way too seriously. And I find it pretty ridiculous. Let it go already, people.

Zippy1313

Mar 26, 2008
People just need to shut up and remember the first amendment. Even racists like the KKK and Neo-nazis have a right to distribute anything they want in the US. I personally don't see anything wrong with what I have seen and played in the game. They need to just STFU and get over it. The game is coming out and will still sell millions of copies.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
I don't find this issue to be complicated. In every field except car keys- literature, sociology, history- people always find what they are looking for. I could rant all day on this subject, but I find this outlook on race relations quite disturbing, especially in regards to literature, new and classic.

I will say this much, though: All the races of humans have virtually identical DNA. They are indistinct. We're made of the same stuff, and history demonstrates we are all capable of the same savagery or goodness. So why can only whites be portrayed as evil? I'm tired of being the punching bag, to be quite honest.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I just noticed your date of join is September 11.....

ANYWAY, I am so sick of the whole "It's a fucking video game" excuse. Books, Movies, TV shows, and Music songs do not get that kind of excuse because "It's just a book/movie/show/song."

If it wasn't "just a video game" it wouldn't be getting this kind of attention.

AnyAnyWay, my view is that RE5 is unintentionally racist. BUT it's racist in a sense that it's just kind of there, like how Fat Princess wasn't intended to insult fatties but the feeling of that is kind of there.

It's not "intentionally" racist, but it can leave that feeling on some people who just see it as a guy shooting black people.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
It's funny to that some people say that the game is racist because you kill africans but nobody cared about Resident Evil 4 or every other Resident Evil and called it racist.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Jumplion said:
I just noticed your date of join is September 11.....
Yes, yes it is. There's probably a way to change that, but I honestly think it's kinda funny.

Thunderheavyarm

Feb 6, 2009
The only reason that people even care about this is that video game releases have commercials and ads. But still, I didn't hear a thing when they were making the movie and there was a scene they showed where a BLACK zombie got his head freakin' blown off! It's total hypocrisy to let a scene like that slide and then go overly noble when it happens in a video game.

Terazeal

Sep 10, 2008
First of all, the existence of stereotypical cases isn't the same as a blanket statement of "all x are y". Also, this game never claims to be true at all, it's not giving a serious opinion unlike actual racists who believe what they're saying.

Killclave

Jan 22, 2009
Why is that African Americans think everyone hates them? Per se RE 4 where their were mexicans. NO ONE MADE A BIG DEAL ABOUT THAT DID THEY? This is maybe one reason why some people are still racist to them, because make a big deal about everything and we always need to help them. THAT IS NOT HOW I THINK. I was IMAGINING what racists see. I personally treat blacks as human beings. My good friends are black.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Thunderheavyarm said:
The only reason that people even care about this is that video game releases have commercials and ads. But still, I didn't hear a thing when they were making the movie and there was a scene they showed where a BLACK zombie got his head freakin' blown off! It's total hypocrisy to let a scene like that slide and then go overly noble when it happens in a video game.
A scene...compared to an entire game? I dunno, there's a little bit of unbalance to that statement ;P

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
Killclave said:
Why is that African Americans think everyone hates them? Per se RE 4 where their were mexicans. NO ONE MADE A BIG DEAL ABOUT THAT DID THEY? This is maybe one reason why some people are still racist to them, because make a big deal about everything and we always need to help them. THAT IS NOT HOW I THINK. I was IMAGINING what racists see. I personally treat blacks as human beings. My good friends are black.
In Resident Evil 4 you were in spain not in mexico.

Thunderheavyarm

Feb 6, 2009
Jumplion said:
Thunderheavyarm said:
A scene...compared to an entire game? I dunno, there's a little bit of unbalance to that statement ;P
Look the basic point is that if you're gonna get upset about someone going around creating a blood tornado with bullets and you get upset over something that isn't real, you better get upset over the 3 second image of somebody getting killed as well. And that if any RE games tells us, these people are dropped in these situations. If someone gave you a 9mm, ammo, and a health spray and people start trying to munch your insides the last thing you're thinking of is "take this you person with a different skin tone than mine!"

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
Comparisons with RE4 would work, so the article seems to say, if RE4 had a sequence involving a family of ordinary human villagers that turn out to be a bunch of inbred cannibal psychopaths. The game itself isn't necessarily racist, but if it does contain racist elements, people shouldn't handwave it as "just a game" or "oversensitive PC gone mad".

spuddyt

Nov 22, 2008
look, the main problem this time isn't that the zombies are black, its the scene wherein ORDINARY black people were being brutal. Then again, thats just humans no?

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
Vlane said:
Killclave said:
In Resident Evil 4 you were in spain not in mexico.
They spoke with a Mexican accent for god-knows-what reason, which probably confused a lot of people.

People are calling this one racist because zombie behavior fits in perfectly with stereotypes of Black Africans but not Spaniards. The present and past imperialism of 3rd world countries doesn't help either.

My main problem is while it makes sense for the zombies to be Black; but why the hell is the protagonist white? It gives the game a much more imperilment feel to it. (Read Tintin in the Congo to see what I mean.) It would seem way less racist if the protagonist was a native and it would probably be scarier too. Imagine have to shoot all your friends and see your entire town go crazy. Imagine watching people go from friendly villager to cannibal would be scary and a good way to deflect racist accusations.

The scene were they were dragging a white women off is literally reminiscent of Birth of a Nation as is much of the zombie behavior. The whole "it's just a game/book/movie argument" never made sense to me. Ethnic Cleansing was a video game too. Birth of a Nation was a popular movie and The Bell Curve was a popular book. These images have effects on the public conscious.

I'll be getting the game but I'm going to buy second hand so Capcom doesn't get any money.