Nine Year Old Codes iPhone App

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Nine Year Old Codes iPhone App

A nine year old Malaysian boy has written a finger-painting application for Apple's iPhone. As if the world didn't already have plenty of ways to make you feel inadequate.

Lim Ding Win, who lives in Singapore with his family, has created the Doodle Kids application, which lets iPhone users create works of art with just their fingers. The application, originally written for his two younger sisters, has been downloaded over 4,000 times from the iTunes store.

Ding Win first started using a computer when he was two years old, discovered programming at age seven and is now fluent in six programming languages. Ding Wim's father, Lim Thye Chean, who also writes iPhone applications, downplayed his son's achievements: "Ding Wen is an above average boy with an interest in computers, especially Apple IIGS and Macs, likes to do programming, and that's it. Doodle Kids is an extremely simple program that can be done by anybody. Everybody can program - if Ding Wen can, so can you."

Sure, whatever you say Mr. Lim. I'll be over here, feeling sorry for myself.

Source: BBC [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7874291.stm]

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
"An above average boy", is he? Oh, what a doting father. I'm sure it's hard to be objective when all you want to do is show everyone how amazing your son is, but let's try to tone down the incessant praise, shall we?

Still, that's quite impressive. And the thing about a nine-year-old writing an iphone application for his younger sisters is adorable.

guardian001

Oct 20, 2008
Smart kid. Although I'm sure that anyone could have programmed this if they put the effort in, it's still impressive to see someone so young programming at this level. Almost makes me want to learn a more useful programming language than the one my school teaches.

stormcaller

Sep 6, 2008
This is why I want to do creative stuff, So I can still say "I'm in the electronic entertainment industry" ofcourse just in a different division. This kid has collectively made alot of people around the world consider starting primary in Singapore.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
T said:
if Ding Wen can, so can you
It sounds like this kid is going to develop a terrible inferiority complex.
Yeah, pretty much. Anyway, I see a bright future for the kid, seeing as he is already fluent in 6 programming languages.

Ronwue

Oct 22, 2008
I'll write a proper comment once I finish gathering up the remains of my jaw from the floor. I'm finishing university and I'm only on 3 and all of them are C morphisms.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
My god, that kid is awesome.

Don't like the dad though; he should be getting praised accordingly.