BioWare Reveals Bounty Hunter Class in The Old Republic

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BioWare Reveals Bounty Hunter Class in The Old Republic

Good news for Star Wars: The Old Republic [http://www.starwars.com].

The Bossk-style Bounty Hunter class is the third to be revealed by BioWare, following the obvious Jedi and Sith classes, and like them, the Bounty Hunter will get its own "epic" story arc. "You're going to have as much choice in that one class as you would have had in an entire BioWare game before, because every single class gets its own story, and that's a story personal to the player," said Old Republic Lead Writer Daniel Erickson. "He gets to have his own Star Wars trilogy."

The game will be packed with lightsaber-wielding Jedi and Sith but players with a "bounty hunter fantasy" will be able to indulge their inner IG-88 as well. "These are fully engaged characters, so when you're talking to someone, the camera works just like a movie and if they're getting emotional, they're clearly getting emotional and everything makes sense," BioWare co-founder Greg Zeschuk said in a Eurogamer TV video [http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/star-wars-the-old-republic-story]. "As a player, seeing that is something that will be very surprising to people."

Erickson also revealed a bit more about the setting of the game itself, which takes place roughly 300 years after the events of the Knights of the Old Republic [http://www.bioware.com/games/knights_old_republic/] games and 3000 years before the Star Wars movies. "Everything is very, very tense," he said. "We are not talking cold war, we are talking constant border and skirmish war, because nobody is quite ready to say 'OK, let's throw the entire galaxy back into conflict again'."

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/bounty-hunter-playable-class-in-swtor]

Volucer

Sep 4, 2008
Well I've found my class. I was a bounty hunter in SWG before the rapture came and destroyed everything.

WingedFortress

Detective
Feb 5, 2008
For the first time ever, I'm watching my anticipation for an MMO turn from grim to eager. Not saying I'm all in though.

GRoXERs

Feb 4, 2009
Think about the PvP though:
Who ALWAYS wins when it's bounty hunter vs. force-user?

Yeah, it ain't the bounty hunter.
Hopefully there'll be some kind of balancing for the whole "Deflect blaster bolts, force jump over and dismember opponent with your laser sword" thing Jedi and Sith have going for them...

luckshot

Jul 18, 2008
this is good news, but they keep giving contradictory press on it (in my eyes) -we know what player's want, to play as an established icon, not create their own- and now -player's are creating their own icon.....-

hope for the best, prepare for worst

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Thunderhorse said:
For the first time ever, I'm watching my anticipation for an MMO turn from grim to eager. Not saying I'm all in though.
This goes for me as well. I hope things turn out for the best here!

ChocoCake

Nov 23, 2008
Does a bounty hunter have force powers? No. Therefore that is not the class I will be choosing.

Headless Zombie

Feb 18, 2009
GRoXERs said:

Hopefully there'll be some kind of balancing for the whole "Deflect blaster bolts, force jump over and dismember opponent with your laser sword" thing Jedi and Sith have going for them...
As far as i know, jedi still can't deflect explosions

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
GRoXERs said:

My friend you have just insulted me in ways that are insulting to me.
In the canon, bounty hunters have found ways to out-fight the Jedi and Sith. Boba Fett even learned a style of fighting that utilized a light-saber. Its kind of like the whole Samurai- Ninja thing.

But out of all the groups in Star Wars, I have a fondness for the Bounty Hunters, so now Im excited to see that they have been given some attention by the dev team. :)

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
Wouldn't it be interesting if you could be a smuggler fro the exchange or something, that would be cool.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
Playing as a Jedi was never for me in SW:G anyway. I was a medic, shipwright, and lots of other things. Just goes to show Bioware recognizes the need for more than "i haz litesabr nowz".

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
It's interesting how fervently they're assuring us that there will be choices and story in their MMO; I'll wait it and see. If it's free-subsription, I'll probably get it. Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age are still my top upcoming games from them.

Jul 9, 2008
darkstone said:
Wouldn't it be interesting if you could be a smuggler fro the exchange or something, that would be cool.
Yeah, working for the Exchange would be interesting. We'll have to see.
RebelRising said:
It's interesting how fervently they're assuring us that there will be choices and story in their MMO; I'll wait it and see. If it's free-subsription, I'll probably get it. Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age are still my top upcoming games from them.
My thoughts exactly. MMOs aren't my thing, but if it's free or I get my hands on a free trial, I'll definitely try it. I still wish they'd just make an honest-to-god KotOR III though.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
GRoXERs said:

Well, since this is set 300 years after the collapse of the Old Jedi Order (caused by those meanies in KOTORII), it's very possible that the Jedi (and Sith) may still be discovering the lengths of their powers.

But they'll probably have the Force be sort of like a Mana gauge, and abilities like deflecting blaster bolts will have a constant drain on their mana. Sort of like a Mage's Mana Shield ability.

And the whole "dismember" thing never took place in Bioware games. Maybe they're still using training lightsabers.

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
Headless Zombie said:
GRoXERs said:

As far as i know, jedi still can't deflect explosions
Or fire. And I suspect there'll be a few traps to set.