BioWare Reveals Bounty Hunter Class in The Old Republic

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
A Rogue class, is it? Should be fun to see those religious zealots complain on the forums about how their pitiful force abilities weren't enough to stop taking a vibrodagger in the back. =D

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
Sorry, but a Jedi or a Sith SHOULD be able to kill a bounty hunter if they are of the correct Jedi/Sith calibur.

There should be different tiers of obtainable skill.
The "Master Bounty Hunter" and the "Master Jedi" should be the new Tier 3 armor sets, hard to obtain statures within the game.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
I haven't played an MMO in quite a few years. I think I'll support this one though. I was kind of hoping that they'd go the route of Neverwinter Nights with community maintained worlds, but I guess you can't make WoW bucks without a monthly subscription. BioWare won me over with KotOR and blew my mind with Mass Effect so I have faith in their abilities to do this game justice.

The only thing I'm concerned about is with the system requirements. More polygons doesn't equate to better graphics anymore. Blizzard's choice to keep their artistic vision in their games with low system requirements is something to be commended. I hope BioWare recognizes this.

I III II X4

Nov 14, 2008

The Mandalorians will rise again!!
Malygris said:
The game will be packed with lightsaber-wielding Jedi and Sith but players with a "bounty hunter fantasy" will be able to indulge their inner IG-88 as well. "These are fully engaged characters, so when you're talking to someone, the camera works just like a movie and if they're getting emotional, they're clearly getting emotional and everything makes sense," BioWare co-founder Greg Zeschuk said in a Eurogamer TV video [http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/star-wars-the-old-republic-story]. "As a player, seeing that is something that will be very surprising to people."
Now, this sounds like they're saying we can play as droids...or was this merely a reference to another bounty hunter?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to see what they'll do next.

Phat_Frank

Feb 25, 2009
I think this game should be great, I really hope it comes out for the 360, as KOTOR was an Xbox original.

Casual Matt

May 8, 2008
Eldritch Warlord said:
GRoXERs said:
Think about the PvP though:
Who ALWAYS wins when it's bounty hunter vs. force-user?

Yeah, it ain't the bounty hunter.
Jango killed a Jedi or two.
That's true, but Jango is supposedly one of the best, if not the best.

Well, until the Battle of Geonosis when he goes head to head with a Jedi Master, which is a fitting choice of words given what happens.

mattttherman3 said:
I wanna be Bobba Fett...But I will settle for my own made up bounty hunter!
If Mandalorian Armour is available in the game I'd bet on seeing about 10,000 Fetts walking around.

Pigeon_Grenade

May 29, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
I still find my lack of faith disturbing.
i Dont, i know there is going to be a Smuggler class as well,
i remember the night of the old republic games, and the Classes your companions had, im not expecting them to Stray from those at all

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
Casual Matt said:
mattttherman3 said:
I wanna be Bobba Fett...But I will settle for my own made up bounty hunter!
If Mandalorian Armour is available in the game I'd bet on seeing about 10,000 Fetts walking around.
Oh hell yeah. Mandalorians>Everyone else. Who doesn't want to be a superhuman killing machine, who can still be good and be a badass? Sith, and you have to go for the "I like the screaming" type story, Jedi and you're lumped with "Sunshine and flowers are nice, want to hug my lightsabre" which is annoying, somewhere in the middle where you can save the damsel in distress and still kick a few arses along the way is where we all want to be.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
I'll probably buy the damn MMO play it, get bored of it and go back to WoW like I did whit the last 2 MMO's I played. But who knows this MMO might actually be good.

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
As long as there will be other classes to play, I think I might try it. If it ends up being SWG post NGE part 2, there's no way.

whyarecarrots

Nov 19, 2008
Hmm... very interesting: if they can pull off what they're saying about story and character stories then this has the potential to be something special, but I'm not holding my breath.

That said, it is a rare MMO that actually has me interested in playing the free trial, so I'm giving it credit for that, even though it could be some time for me to wait...

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
I'm really hoping that this game will be good. I just wish that it wasn't an MMO. I don't really have time in my life to devote to one of those.

Razorback0z

Feb 10, 2009
please dont be crap please dont be crap please dont be crap please dont be crap please dont be crap please dont be crap

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
Flying-Emu said:
GRoXERs said:

Hopefully there'll be some kind of balancing for the whole "Deflect blaster bolts, force jump over and dismember opponent with your laser sword" thing Jedi and Sith have going for them...
Well, since this is set 300 years after the collapse of the Old Jedi Order (caused by those meanies in KOTORII), it's very possible that the Jedi (and Sith) may still be discovering the lengths of their powers.

But they'll probably have the Force be sort of like a Mana gauge, and abilities like deflecting blaster bolts will have a constant drain on their mana. Sort of like a Mage's Mana Shield ability.

And the whole "dismember" thing never took place in Bioware games. Maybe they're still using training lightsabers.
It is? Then what was the point in showing the Sacking of Coruscant in the reveal trailer? Or do you mean that the Sith are still in control and the Jedi and the Republic are trying to regain that control?

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Doc Theta Sigma said:
Flying-Emu said:
GRoXERs said:

Hopefully there'll be some kind of balancing for the whole "Deflect blaster bolts, force jump over and dismember opponent with your laser sword" thing Jedi and Sith have going for them...
Well, since this is set 300 years after the collapse of the Old Jedi Order (caused by those meanies in KOTORII), it's very possible that the Jedi (and Sith) may still be discovering the lengths of their powers.

But they'll probably have the Force be sort of like a Mana gauge, and abilities like deflecting blaster bolts will have a constant drain on their mana. Sort of like a Mage's Mana Shield ability.

And the whole "dismember" thing never took place in Bioware games. Maybe they're still using training lightsabers.
It is? Then what was the point in showing the Sacking of Coruscant in the reveal trailer? Or do you mean that the Sith are still in control and the Jedi and the Republic are trying to regain that control?
The Sack of Coruscant video hadn't been released when I wrote that post, first off. Second, there's roughly a thousand years between the Old Republic and the Battle of Yavin that has next to no canon story. So Bioware can do whatever they want within that time period and George "Rape his own series" Lucas will probably call it fair.

It's hard to take something in context when it was written three months ago. =P

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
Flying-Emu said:
Doc Theta Sigma said:
Flying-Emu said:
GRoXERs said:

The Sack of Coruscant video hadn't been released when I wrote that post, first off. Second, there's roughly a thousand years between the Old Republic and the Battle of Yavin that has next to no canon story. So Bioware can do whatever they want within that time period and George "Rape his own series" Lucas will probably call it fair.

It's hard to take something in context when it was written three months ago. =P
Ah... Point taken, forgot to look at the post date. Sorry :p