Is Microsoft Considering Non-Gaming Achievements?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Is Microsoft Considering Non-Gaming Achievements?

A recent survey sent out by Microsoft might well hold a clue to a potential future project in the works: awarding Achievement points for using the Xbox 360's other, non-gaming functions.

Towards the end of the survey, the questions ask how the respondents would feel about certain types of Achievements - more group-based Achievements, for example. One of the examples given is particularly interesting, though:

[blockquote]Providing Achievements for non-gaming uses of your Xbox 360 (e.g., "The Film Buff: You've watched 50 DVD's")[/blockquote]

It's an interesting idea, to be sure. I make no secret of the fact that I am whore [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/alt-escape/5731-Alt-Escape-Achievement-Unlocked], but... well, should something not involving games really contribute to one's gamerscore?

What do you all think - should there be non-gaming Achievements?

(Via Loot Ninja [http://loot-ninja.com/2009/02/17/rumor-microsoft-thinking-about-non-gaming-achievements/])

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
I would say no. Gamescore is suppose to estimate on how "elite" a player is. It doesn't work this way anyway really, as people could just be buying lots of games. I play a lot of xbox originals and arcade games, so my gamerscore isn't as high as it should be.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Nope, it shouldn't contribute to ones gamerscore but i'm all in favour of rewarding players for making the most of your console.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
SomeBritishDude said:
I would say no. Gamescore is suppose to estimate on how "elite" a player is. It doesn't work this way anyway really, as people could just be buying lots of games. I play a lot of xbox originals and arcade games, so my gamerscore isn't as high as it should be.
Don't forget, people can just be buying game saves.

Kodlak

Feb 5, 2009
If they do that, they may as well make achievements for their next OS, ''Well done! You get 10 PC points for opening Paint.'' Worst idea ever!

Reversed Insanity

Jun 4, 2008
Its probably best that achievements just stick to games. If achievements get popular in other non gaming areas we could end up living in a world where we get points for mundane tasks. Oh I just unlocked 10 life points for eating dinner.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
I've become a GFW achivement whore :(

To be honest, all I did was created an alternate save in Fallout 3 and went on a rampage to get the 300 kills achivement, but still. I'm a whore.

llewgriff

Feb 12, 2009
Kodlak said:
If they do that, they may as well make achievements for their next OS, ''Well done! You get 10 PC points for opening Paint.'' Worst idea ever!
That sounds awsome! How is that a bad idea?

roekenny

Jun 17, 2008
Nope bad idea as I'm fed up of hearing how big peoples e-penis is already no need to give them more ways to wave it about.

CyberKnight

Jan 29, 2009
llewgriff said:
Kodlak said:
That sounds awsome! How is that a bad idea?
Now that Paint has been plagued with that stupid "ribbon" menu bar? *Really* bad. X(

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
nathan-dts said:
Nope, it shouldn't contribute to ones gamerscore but i'm all in favour of rewarding players for making the most of your console.
Why do people need to be encourged on how to use their consoles? Isnt it up to them if the want to use thier blue ray player for movies and 360 for games? It dosent make any difference to mircosoft, they get their money no matter what the console is used for.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
nathan-dts said:
SomeBritishDude said:
Don't forget, people can just be buying game saves.
That's not recommended... Live can detect that, and if it does the guys will flush your Gamerscore to zero and you won't be able to re-earn the points for Achievements you've already scored either illicitly or honestly.

Besides, "buying" Gamerscore is pretty pathetic. It's even sadder than all those lame-os trying to buy my Recon armour.

-- Steve

xXGeckoXx

Jan 29, 2009
Ehh.............really anybody who cares about their gamer score so much that they aim for non-gaming achievements are losers. In my opinion the best thing about achievements is the tiny bubble of satisfaction when you see one at the bottom of your screen like some chocolate sauce on my cake of a game and the the slowly increasing number on my homepage but I do not compete against others like that.

Pirce

Nov 5, 2008
They shouldn't add to your gaming score but I don't see why not, lot of potential for some pretty funny achievements.

Beeboo

Achievement unlocked

"Stop watching Shawn of the Dead already!"