Four Million Gamers Play RE5 Demo

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Four Million Gamers Play RE5 Demo

Shipping two million copies of Street Fighter IV [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89646-Street-Fighter-KOs-Wii-Fit]? Pfft, that's small time for Capcom - more than four million people have played the Resident Evil 5 demo, according to the game's producer.

MTV Multiplayer's Stephen Totilo [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/02/23/four-million-demo-downloads-later-resident-evil-5-producer-talks/] had a chance to catch up with RE5 producer Jun Takeuchi in Las Vegas last week for one final interview before the game ships in early March. Among other things, Takeuchi said that the Resident Evil 5 demo had been downloaded more than four million times across both the Xbox 360 and PS3.

On the one hand, that's good news for Capcom - this certainly demonstrates a high interest in the title, which is to be expected given the survival horror series' popularity. RE5 will also be the first game in the series released on multiple platforms, further broadening its scope.

On the other hand, there's a small chance that the popularity of the demo might end up actually hurting sales. Beyond the racism controversy re-ignited by the demo's release, some gamers have taken issue with other features of the game: Its implementation of splitscreen play [http://www.destructoid.com/resident-evil-5-split-screen-co-op-demo-reinforces-need-to-buy-two-copies-116303.phtml], the clunky controls, and frequent loading times - to give a few examples. Might the demo actually turn off prospective buyers from buying the real thing when it hits shelves?

Probably not - and even if the demo does end up convincing a few gamers to not buy the thing, they'll just be a small drop in the bucket (er, a small un-drop in the bucket?) compared to the ravenous, zombie-like hordes of gamers who can't wait to get their hands on the thing.

Takeuchi himself mentions the issues in question to Totilo, confident that the full version of the game will vindicate the development decisions the team at Capcom has made. According to Takeuchi, loading times in the full version should be significantly shorter (and less frequent) than in the pre-release. He also remains adamant that people who were unhappy with the ham-fisted, archaic controls of the demo that rendered protagonist Chris Redfield unable to move and fire a gun simultaneously will understand why they made that choice when taken in the context of the full Resident Evil 5 experience.

After having forked over their cash, of course. Call me a skeptic, but I can't see how playing with clunky controls for a longer length of time makes them any less frustrating to deal with.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
yes, the clunky controls annoyed me to no end, but then again, i'm no fan of the over the shoulder gameplay that RE 5 has gone into

GoldenShadow

May 13, 2008
I preordered this game from Amazon, and I don't want to play the demo. But this is the first I have heard about clunky controls? Does it play similar to RE4? Its got to be at least as good as that right? Or maybe you guys are just spoiled by more modern game like Gears of War and Halo. This is Resident Evil, you don't move and shoot here.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
GoldenShadow said:
This is Resident Evil, you don't move and shoot here.
And I find that just backwards. In an age where games are talking about more and more freedom, this game seems to take a step back with a jerking lack of movement.
And I can't figure it out! What is the reason for it?

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
I honestly found the demo... shit...

I was one of those bad people who played the Japan version.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
GoldenShadow said:
I preordered this game from Amazon, and I don't want to play the demo. But this is the first I have heard about clunky controls? Does it play similar to RE4? Its got to be at least as good as that right? Or maybe you guys are just spoiled by more modern game like Gears of War and Halo. This is Resident Evil, you don't move and shoot here.
I think the controls were more fluid with RE4.
Baby Tea said:
GoldenShadow said:
The real step back they made is co-op. And I find that just backwards. In an age where games are talking about more and more freedom, this game seems to take a step back with a jerking lack of movement.
They tried it before and failed. Then they decided to give you the ability to walk and shoot with co-op and it failed even more miserably than just regular co-op.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
sheic99 said:
They tried it before and failed. Then they decided to give you the ability to walk and shoot with co-op and it failed even more miserably than just regular co-op.
So because they couldn't get it right, they ditch it for old and dated mechanic that only appeals, really, to the longtime players of the series? Seems like they are intentionally snubbing people new to the franchise.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
Baby Tea said:
sheic99 said:
So because they couldn't get it right, they ditch it for old and dated mechanic that only appeals, really, to the longtime players of the series? Seems like they are intentionally snubbing people new to the franchise.
If you played Survivor file#2, you would understand, which was also one of the worst selling games of the series.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
sheic99 said:
If you played Survivor file#2, you would understand, which was also one of the worst selling games of the series.
I don't doubt they tried is and screw up. It happens. But all that means is they did it wrong, and should do it right. There are plenty of good 3rd person games out there, take a note from them.
The controls are the whole game. If they suck, the game can't be enjoyable. And while I understand that RE4 fans will probably feel right at home, the rest of us who are new to the series are left scratching our heads at a control scheme that seems ripped from yester-year.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
Baby Tea said:
sheic99 said:
I don't doubt they tried is and screw up. It happens. But all that means is they did it wrong, and should do it right. There are plenty of good 3rd person games out there, take a note from them.
The controls are the whole game. If they suck, the game can't be enjoyable. And while I understand that RE4 fans will probably feel right at home, the rest of us who are new to the series are left scratching our heads at a control scheme that seems ripped from yester-year.
I feel that the controls for RE4 were indeed better. It could also be my bias by not letting me pause the game while accessing the item screen, and also not letting me move either.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
it's amazing how something FREE or CHEAP gets more attention.

Left 4 Dead weekend deal where it was only 25 bucks? 3,000% sales increase.

Kodlak

Feb 5, 2009
I had high expectations for it, but after the demo, I had a massive feeling of deja vu and just gave up on it there and then.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I guess I'm the only other one who hasn't downloaded the demo. I probably will at some point but I thought RE4 was the most overrated game of all time (until No More Heroes came out of course) so it's not one of my priorities right now.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Baby Tea said:
GoldenShadow said:
And I find that just backwards. In an age where games are talking about more and more freedom, this game seems to take a step back with a jerking lack of movement.
I don't really play these kind of games anymore because the controls have grown too easy. It sounds stupid but bad controls really put intensity into survival horror, something that i stopped calling RE after the first part.
Anyone remember the first part? It took a few seconds to turn around and your character moved so stiffly that the controls were perfect for the game. It was scary as hell because of the crippled mobility, if you saw a dog running, you knew you were in trouble. This combined with the awful camera and my horrible gaming skills as a kid made one hell of a scary and hard game.
Of course the controls in gears of war are smoother but they wouldn't feel right for this game, just like they wouldn't feel right for MGS or another game that isn't about killing loads of aliens

Mr. Squee

Feb 22, 2009
I actually loved the demo except for the aim speed(and that when you died you had to go back to the main menu but thats just a demo thing) but hopefully they will fix this, However I loved the fact that it was really hard and that you run out of ammo and have to run like hell, games have been getting to easy lately and its nice to see one that actually makes you panic every now and then.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
Loved the co-op demo, single player did nothing for me.
Dont ask why, they were the same levels, but Resi is a game that suits co-operative play. (Waits to get flamed)

Obviously it ruins the SURVIVAL HORROR tone a bit but frantically shouting for your teammate to pass you a box of shotgun shells as you try to beat off the horde is pretty involving. At one point, me and a friend were taking the demo so seriously that you would have thought it was a military operation. I would cover him as he crossed the street and vice versa. Its really cool, but thats just me so..