EA Rethinking Its Release Date Strategy

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Rethinking Its Release Date Strategy

As the transformation of Electronic Arts [http://www.ea.com] continues, Glen Schofield of EA Redwood Shores says the company has discovered the folly of cramming new releases together for the lucrative holiday season, resulting in "far too many" games coming out at the same time.

It aggravates me: You go the entire year with little more than a trickle of new games to keep you entertained, then blam, October hits and you're buried in an avalanche of new releases which you have neither the time nor the money to accommodate. It dilutes the market: It's hard to concentrate on a hot new IP like Dead Space [http://www.deadspacegame.com/] when it's jostling for shelf space and your attention with every other hot new (and old) IP on a holiday release schedule. And while EA is far from the only one to indulge in this bad habit, Schofield says the company has finally clued in to the fact that lumping all its releases together for Christmas is doing more harm than good.

Two of EA's most anticipated new IPs, Dead Space and Mirror's Edge [http://www.mirrorsedge.com/], were released within a month of each other just prior to Christmas 2008 and while they received solid critical response and sold reasonably well, they failed to reach sales projections. "You can blame some of it on the economy," he said, but added that there were "far too many games" released at that time of year, creating a glut that had a negative impact on many titles.

"I think that we traditionally thought that people only buy games at Christmas or around holiday time, and now we're looking back and going, 'You know what, GamesIndustry [http://www.rockstargames.com/iv].

"I think the industry has finally gone, 'Wow, we could probably just come out just like the movies do'. Movies launch on Christmas day, they launch blockbusters during the summer, and we're now learning that we could probably launch a game at any time, and if it's a good game it will be well received."

Despite the weaker-than-expected sales over the Christmas period, Schofield said EA's new direction under CEO John Riccitiello has the company back on track. "EA took some chances and made some really good games," he said, noting that the company is beginning to re-establish its "credibility" with gamers. And while Dead Space may not have lived up to EA's hopes, the company isn't ready to throw in the towel just yet. "We haven't announced anything yet, but I don't think you take a game that's rated 89 and just go, 'Well, that was a failure'," he said.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
They finally get it!

Dear god, could EA actually have grown some common sense?

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
I'm definitely liking EA more and more as time goes on. Hopefully more companies will think of this and I wouldn't have to choose between so many good games at the same time.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Ranooth said:
They finally get it!

I dunno, the next Dead Space is threatening to be a lightgun game, doesn't bode well.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Ranooth said:
They finally get it!

I dunno, the next Dead Space is threatening to be a lightgun game, doesn't bode well.
Im still megaly fucked off at what they did with Dungeon Keeper, but these could be the first steps to redemption.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Ranooth said:
fix-the-spade said:
Ranooth said:
They finally get it!

Im still megaly fucked off at what they did with Dungeon Keeper, but these could be the first steps to redemption.
Dungeon Keeper 3 with updated graphics and a more fleshed out interface would be the Nuts

curlycrouton

Jul 13, 2008
Ranooth said:
They finally get it!

Not until they remove all that SecuROM nonsense from all their games ever made ever.

AnimalAl

Nov 26, 2008
Hear, hear! this last holiday season had WAY too many first-person shooters coming out all at once. Spread it out, I'll be more inclined to buy them all.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
It doesn't mean much until they actually do something about it but Schofield speaks the truth. I still don't own either Dead Space or Mirror's Edge, not because I don't have any interest in them - I do - but because I was just swamped over Christmas. Spreading things around is a good idea for everyone: Gamers don't have to worry about release date overload and developers get a break from the pressure to ship in time for the Christmas season whether they're really ready or not. Because we all know how well that can work out.

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
Maybe this will finally get them realise to stop releasing:
A) Half-finished games
and B) Games nobody gives a shit about

As far as I am concerened, at the moment, they are a learner of all trades, master of fucking nothing.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Ranooth said:
They finally get it!

Oh my f-.... its the 9th sign of the apocalypse! Flee, FLEE! FLEEEEEEE!

Denmarkian

Feb 1, 2008
Nivag said:
Maybe this will finally get them realise to stop releasing:
A) Half-finished games
and B) Games nobody gives a shit about
I was just going to say they should adopt the release strategy of "When it's done."

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
Ranooth said:
They finally get it!

Took 'em god-damned long enough....

Malygris said:
"I think that we traditionally thought that people only buy games at Christmas or around holiday time, and now we're looking back and going, 'You know what, GamesIndustry [http://www.rockstargames.com/iv].
He thought that people only buy games at Christmas? Seriously? I guess EA deserves a pat on the head and a cookie for finally putting two and two together, but jesus-effing-christ I still can't get over how asinine that statement is...... You mean people might actually want to buy games at other times of the year??

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
I never understood why there wasn't some crazy summer release thing. I mean, that's when school's out so all the kiddies have copious amounts of free time to play games during. And TVs in repeats. Seems like a winning strategy.

Alone Disciple

Jun 10, 2008
"I think the industry has finally gone, 'Wow, we could probably just come out just like the movies do'. Movies launch on Christmas day, they launch blockbusters during the summer, and we're now learning that we could probably launch a game at any time, and if it's a good game it will be well received."
DUH!!!

And how much salary is he paid for this marketing analysis epiphany?

I think 99% of us here could have told you that at 1/10th the cost.

roekenny

Jun 17, 2008
But isn't that the same with 80% of all upper management? Now all they need to learn is that not all customers are pirates and not be treated as such, if scaled back graphics to that of 2 years ago as used them resources saved on a decent plot, AI and give the developers some time to work know might get a game worth the $40 you asking for and not treat gamers like simpletons and dumb down content as some of us like to use our grey then maybe just maybe they would be redeemed in communities eyes.

Goldbling

Nov 21, 2008
it's probobly true, theyre releasing sims 3 in june or so, they probobly did it to spread out releases