Assassin's Creed 2 Venice-Bound?

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Assassin's Creed 2 Venice-Bound?

Assassin's Creed might be ditching The Crusades and time-hopping forward to Renaissance-era Venice with a new protagonist, according to the latest rumors.

According to an anonymous focus tester who wrote to French Revolution [http://kotaku.com/5159714/rumor-assassins-creed-2-moves-to-venice], but in Renaissance-era Venice.

In the trailer, the focus tester described, a woman is dancing with a pair of shady gentlemen at a masked ball when a mysterious costumed fellow steps out and stabs one of them in the neck with a wrist blade not unlike the trademark weapon from the first Assassin's Creed. The other man tries to escape but the assassin has already made his way to the rooftops and is chasing him down. He confronts his target, who says some mysterious stuff about the assassin's parents and why they died, at which point the assassin shoots him with a bolt pistol.

The tester goes on to say that after watching the trailer (which was most likely pre-rendered), Ubisoft showed him three pieces of concept art for the protagonist. Each picture had the word "Enzio" at the bottom, possibly implying that this is the character's name. Enzio, apparently, likes to dress like Altair, with his face permanently hidden underneath a hood, which may imply that AC2 will have the same premise of a modern-day person living out the past life of a genetic ancestor via super-technology. "His face wasn't entirely shown, so I assume it is the future reliving the past again," the tester said.

MTV Multiplayer corroborated [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/02/25/rumor-asssassins-creed-2-coming-to-italian-renaissance/] the rumors, claiming that their own source had hinted at similar things. Contacting Ubisoft for comment, they got this reply: "It's great to see that the fans are enjoying speculation regarding Assassin's Creed and we love and share their enthusiasm. We don't comment on rumors or speculation, and rest assured that when we are ready to release information on the game, you will be among the first to know."

The tester claimed that Ubisoft would be revealing the game at an expo this year, most likely E3. As previously reported, the game should hit by next March [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88879-New-Assassins-Creed-Red-Steel-Coming]. All I can say is that, if this is true, it's nice that there'll be guns in the game because old-timey pistols are just cool, and I really hope that this time around the protagonist will be able to swim. Venice is full of canals, you know.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Swim? In the Venitian Canals?

Ewwww.....

Still, Venice is one of the neatest cities on earth, setting a new Assassin's Creed there is awesometastic.

edinflames

Dec 21, 2007
Something to look forward to, first game had a decent plot even if you cant skip the cutscenes xD

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Wasn't this a rumor a few months ago?

Anyway, don't care. ACs ending was so much of a fuck you that I'm not going to the play the next one.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Chapper said:
MaxTheReaper said:
That sounds....really cool, actually.
Yeah, it really does. I hope the repetetiveness from the first one's gone, though.
If they can polish up what they learned for the first, I think they could have a seriously great game on their hands.

Soulgaunt

Jan 14, 2009
so the setting is further in time?This means that the series will go ahead in time over and over, and theeeen, you end up having to assassinate ABRAHAM LINCOLN!!!!!!!

GRoXERs

Feb 4, 2009
Yeah, Venice would be an awesome setting for Assassin's Creed. Though, with all the towers, San Gimignano might be even cooler. Also, it would be awesome if the protagonist could swim, but I don't think (what with the robes and heavy metal objects he carries) it would be very realistic.

EDIT:
MaxTheReaper said:
I really want an old-time pistol to shoot people with. I hope the ammo for it is easier to get than the knives from the first one...
Seriously? Knives were easily available. You could either do it the easy way (pickpocketing a Thug) or the hard (a.k.a. fun) way (Picking a fight with a Thug, then knocking him down and taking his pocket-money knives.)

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I don't care where it takes place, unlike most people I've seen review the first, I absolutely LOVED the cliffhanger ending and can't wait to see what happens next!

Not to say this doesn't sound pretty epic, though =P

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
Im sceptical about AC2 rumours as Iv heard everything from Prehistoric assassins to Mars Assassin, but this does sound like a logical choice and also a pretty damn cool setting.

Im actually excited for AC2, it could turn out to be one of the great series of this generation. COULD. Dont quote me if it all goes wrong :)

Zetona

Dec 20, 2008
Venice sounds like an awesome location, though some Renaissance-era Florence should be featured as well.

Goldbling

Nov 21, 2008
Sweet, maybe you assasinate the Pope... jk

Edit: lol, the Pope lives in the Vatican city, sorry, not Vinace

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Chapper said:
MaxTheReaper said:
That sounds....really cool, actually.
Yeah, it really does. I hope the repetetiveness from the first one's gone, though.
Same here.
I really want an old-time pistol to shoot people with. I hope the ammo for it is easier to get than the knives from the first one...
I found pickpocketing to be rather easy. I would kill most guards i came across with my knives.