EA Admits That It 'Didn't Make Hits" in 2008

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
EA Admits That It 'Didn't Make Hits" in 2008

2008 wasn't a great year for EA. After being hit with losses in the hundreds of millions, and forced to shed more than 10% of its work force, the publishing giant is reconsidering its strategy for the future.

Most gamers would agree that EA was acting strangely last year. The company, known for endlessly exploiting the same licenses and IPs again and again, seemed to do a heel-turn in 2008, and released two completely new IPs. The new games were successful, but it would seem, not successful enough. The good news is that they're not planning to go back to their old ways, not yet at least.

Speaking at the Goldman Sachs Technology and Internet Conference, EA's COO John Pleasants recognized that the company didn't have the big hits that they needed and that in the future the company would focus on quality over quantity, reducing their output by around a fifth. "You can lose your way on basic execution when you have too many games," Pleasants said.

Another big change will come in the way that EA markets its games, in fact marketing is one area that they are committed to spending more money, as well as making better use of the possibilities offered by the internet. Pleasants explained it thus: "The game-development process has evolved, so the marketing should as well. It's less about 'We have an idea, we go away for 24 months and spend $30 million working on a game, then put a little buzz out there and hope it works.' We need to have a dialogue with the audience, take a longer lead time and make sure we have the right mix of digital and traditional."

Fewer titles? Listening to their customers? This isn't the EA I know.

I think I like it though.

Source: Game Daily [http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/ea-admits-we-didnt-make-hits-in-2008/?biz=1]

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
The best way to improve, EA, is to let other companies make sports games. NFL 2K5 was a lot more fun than Madden 05 was, coming from someone who played both.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
They must be in deep shit, if they are making losses with titles like the sims under thier belts they must be doing something very badly.
They spouted this quality over quantity thoughout 2008 and i have yet to see or hear of anything that interests me.

LifeSarcastic

Feb 25, 2009
Did someone hit EA over the head? It wasn't me. Lets hope things really do improve with EA and that this isn't some clever ruse.

Ghost

Spoony old Bard
Feb 13, 2009
SURE... i am sure that they are not just trying some lame technique to improve their corporate image...

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
Oh my god! EA trying to improve themselves as a company?!?! It's the end of the world as we know it!
FLEEEEE! THE APOCALYPSE IS NIGH!

However, that said, I'll believe it when I see it. As for "making use of the possiblities of the internet" give up on EA Downloader and team up with steam or something. EA Downloader is shite, and you extra charge for it being avialable after 5 years?!

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Wait, what? EA make good, original games like Mirrors Edge and Dead Space in 2008 but lose money.
EA, in 2007, made the same old horrible sports games and gained millions.

WTF!!!

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
After all the big title failures, I don't trust them, EA are full of crap to me. They are going to have do something drastic to get my attention!

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Well, I'd prefer a four-fifths reduction in titles rather than one, but at least it's a start.

Sigenrecht

Mar 17, 2008
They still have my support; more so than ever, actually. I'd also like to point out I've never made a single disparaging or sarcastic remark about them, but Christ have I wanted to drive my head through the monitor for some of their executive decisions over the years. It's going to be hard for them to make a clean turn-of-the-leaf now, but I believe they can do it. I wish them the best of luck.

gmer412

Feb 21, 2008
Cortheya said:
maybe they'll have some better games then
We can only hope. And I also hope that they make more money in '09, or they might backslide in a big way. And that would suck for everyone.

Dark Crusader

Sep 3, 2008
Hmm.. I have enjoyed some of their games [Ie NFS: HP and NFS: MW, along with some others], but this does happent to sound like a whole lot of bullshit.
Their EA downloader is a bloody stupid idea. I hate how it automatically starts upon Windows Launch, and starts using my precious bandwith, mother fuckers.

The main thing damaging EA is their DRM at this point in time, not how many games they release, although they do need to focus on their quality a little, NFS:Undercover is an prime example of this.