#157: DUN DUN DUN

Sewa_Yunga

I love this highway!
Nov 21, 2011
Wait, is this comic still alive? Did I horribly misinterpret Grey's tweet two comics ago?

Woohoo!

Anyway, I think I figured out the Ancient Ones' plan:
1.: Crush 'em up and mix them into a soda that almost everone drinks
2.: Wait for a bit until enough crystal essence has accumulated inside people's bodies (because that stuff probably doesn't get metabolized)
3.: Get some idealistic but easily misguided and incompetent people to start a rebellion against the soda company to cover your tracks
4.: Assume direct control

Boom. World domination.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
I love how Crystal-Gunny and Not-Sephiroth are just standing there in the background of panel 4.

Gunny: "Uhm, hey over there, we were about to engage in combat. Can we proceed? ... are ... are we being ignored?"
Not-Seph: "Dialogue. Gotta wait till they're done talking."
Gunny: "That doesn't seem tactically sound."
Not-Seph: "I have no idea what you're talking about."

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Chimpzy said:
I love how Crystal-Gunny and Not-Sephiroth are just standing there in the background of panel 4.

Gunny: "Uhm, hey over there, we were about to engage in combat. Can we proceed? ... are ... are we being ignored?"
Not-Seph: "Dialogue. Gotta wait till they're done talking."
Gunny: "That doesn't seem tactically sound."
Not-Seph: "I have no idea what you're talking about."
Ooh, you're right! That's the rules; no attacking during dialogue! :D
Makes perfect sense now ;)

Good twist there too. Darn evil crystals!

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Now this twist i am really liking! Things were going a little too swimmingly of late, now this bag of grit gets thrown into the works :D

LenticularHomicide

Oct 24, 2013
Sewa_Yunga said:
Wait, is this comic still alive? Did I horribly misinterpret Grey's tweet two comics ago?
Yes. There was an entire forum thread on it [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.944041-There-goes-EDA], actually, where I helpfully pointed out that Grey was still Tweeting out linework on yet-to-be-published strips (in fact, the linework was for this very strip). Though I did also have a small nugget of doubt lingering in a dark corner of my mind (wow, that sounds so melodramatic now that I'm writing it out).

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
The only way this plot twist can get worse is if Ancient Ones have a past of doing this like the three goddesses in the Legend Of Zelda.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
LenticularHomicide said:
Sewa_Yunga said:
Yes. There was an entire forum thread on it [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.944041-There-goes-EDA], actually, where I helpfully pointed out that Grey was still Tweeting out linework on yet-to-be-published strips (in fact, the linework was for this very strip). Though I did also have a small nugget of doubt lingering in a dark corner of my mind (wow, that sounds so melodramatic now that I'm writing it out).
Wait wait wait? Grey did a pic parodying the RD2 teaser picture and people thought he was stopping writing the comic, why? And why not just ask grey for clarification, that seems a lot more reasonable than getting yourselves all worked up.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I'm FFXIII lore flashbacks out of this. Are you sure you aren't a halftime writer for Square-Enix?

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
I'm pretty sure someone called this once per strip ever since the CEO's introduction. Still,how Erin so nonchalantly handles this is gold.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
So basically the crystals had a plan to take over everyone else, getting inside by being in the soda like if the flood were tiny spores, then mutating and taking over. Good job crystals, I just hope the soda tasted good.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Are we sure he wasn't just trolled by one of the other Crystals.
And I wonder how the other captured rebels/freedom fighters/terrorists are doing...

Sewa_Yunga

I love this highway!
Nov 21, 2011
Eric the Orange said:
Wait wait wait? Grey did a pic parodying the RD2 teaser picture and people thought he was stopping writing the comic, why? And why not just ask grey for clarification, that seems a lot more reasonable than getting yourselves all worked up.
Showing characters against a setting sun often means something along the lines of THE END. That's why I was getting worked up.

I'm glad that I was wrong, though!

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
Ooooooh, I get it now. Not-Sephiroth isn't the main villian, he's the comic relief mini-boss!
I guess that makes him Not-Gilgamesh instead.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
I did expect the crystals to be kind of evil, but I didn't expect them to be behind their own colafication. <.<

Maybe they get control of those who drink enough of them and maybe get to live on in those who become crystallized.

Guess we'll find out later. :)