Can You Protect Your Computer With Spit?

Feb 13, 2008
Can You Protect Your Computer With Spit?

Like snowflakes, every person's saliva is unique, a fact which may hold the key to everything from easily accessed medical histories to super-secure computers.

Biometrics has been trying to discover for years what makes us unique. Fingerprints and retinal scans have become the standards for most biometrics, but they still have massive drawbacks, as many heist games and movies illustrate.

However, a new worldwide survey of the human saliva microbiome - the bugs in our spit - finds that a man from England shares no more microbes in common with his neighbors than with a woman from Africa.

The survey, which was conducted by Mark Stoneking, a molecular anthropologist at the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig, Germany, could have far-reaching implications.

Both fingerprints and retinal scans fail in picking up genetic traits within their biometrics, which make them only useful for tracking an individual; stomach ulcer bacteria do contain these traits and have been used to date human migration, but require a stomach biopsy.

Genetic traits hidden within your identification can be used for a number of purposes. Apart from determining your identification accurately, it can also hold genetic information like diseases, parentage, children, age, allergies.

The beauty of the spit method is that it's simple to get hold of, but can contain genetic traces that could allow detailing not just the individual, but the whole family line. An ambulance man with a "spit-ID" could run a quick swab test and with some accuracy automatically find out who you are, who to contact and what medicines to give and not to give you.

It could even lead to heightened computer security. Forget passwords and user names - just dab a bit of saliva on a pad and you're good to go. Having a "spit-lock" as part of your computer logon does seem a little gross, though.

Source: New Scientist [http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16678-spit-bacteria-could-be-as-distinct-as-fingerprints.html?DCMP=OTC-rss&nsref=online-news]
(Image) [http://www.giantmicrobes.com/us/products/sorethroat.html]

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
I can understand it being kinda useful regarding higher level security, when used with various other measures, but on it's own it just seems daft, and a bit gross. Like the mental images I just had.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
So we already use finger print, retinal and memory to secure ourselves, and now spit. What's next? Urine? Vomit? Spinal Fluid?

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
We had those plushie bacteria teddies in Science when I had to show some people round.
I got distracted and played with them instead of doing my job :D they're so cute!

Anyway, that sounds like a horrible idea.

Feb 13, 2008
Catkid906 said:
So we already use finger print, retinal and memory to secure ourselves, and now spit. What's next? Urine? Vomit? Spinal Fluid?
This is the really cool part. No other bodily fluid contains so much information while still being easily accessible. Even seminal fluid doesn't contain as much genetic information.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Catkid906 said:
This is the really cool part. No other bodily fluid contains so much information while still being easily accessible. Even seminal fluid doesn't contain as much genetic information.
but seminal fluid is so much more fun to get!

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
dogstile said:
Catkid906 said:
but seminal fluid is so much more fun to get!
At the risk of derailing this topic, I agree.

This seems like an interesting idea, but do we really want to use a 'spit-swab' to protect our computers and personal details? I suppose the medical and private records side of things, like details held by the police or peoples medical records, could use this, but for personal security? Where do these ideas come from in the first place, anyway? (looks shiftily in Root's direction...)

venarez666

Feb 15, 2009
Reminds me of alien resurrection, not that they spat on terminals but exhaled. As your breath also contains traces of your saliva that could work (and not be as gross as it sounds) still i think i'd prefer to stick to good ol' fingerprints and retinal scans. much less invasive :)

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
Finger prints are unique enough for security measures, I'm sure. Despite what the movies might have you believe, faking them is nearly impossible...

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
Imagine having to spit on a machine to access a high-security area. That's going to need a huge spit tray and/or a huge pile of tissues next to it. I suppose they could source those from a teenage boy's room...

Excelcior

Aug 10, 2008
I think I'll pass for those security measures...

Am I the only one who got this odd mental image of someone making out with a computer?

Feb 13, 2008
Yog Sothoth said:
Finger prints are unique enough for security measures, I'm sure. Despite what the movies might have you believe, faking them is nearly impossible...
However, most films have shown them easily beatable by just taking one of the fingers/hands off of someone.
Real life also has its problems if they're removed by burns, or other damage to the hand.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Yog Sothoth said:
However, most films have shown them easily beatable by just taking one of the fingers/hands off of someone.
Real life also has its problems if they're removed by burns, or other damage to the hand.
Surely this method would be messed up if you took any sort of antibiotics?

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Catkid906 said:
Yeah no kidding and while we're at it how bout fecal matter(poo)

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
Yog Sothoth said:
I think that in the real world, you'd find it far more difficult then you might imagine to take a finger from some one who doesn't want to part with it.

Feb 13, 2008
Lukeje said:
Yog Sothoth said:
Surely this method would be messed up if you took any sort of antibiotics?
TBH, I couldn't tell you as I know very little about biochemistry, but I doubt it. Streptoccocus is remarkably tolerant to antibio's for a start.
Yog Sothoth said:
I think that in the real world, you'd find it far more difficult then you might imagine to take a finger from some one who doesn't want to part with it.
All depends on what's on the other side of that lock I think, but spit wins over fingers when it allows anyone in your family (or have just kissed) to be allowed in if you set the parameters wide enough.

RazerSauber

Feb 11, 2009
How would multiple people go about getting onto the same system? Spitting on something or putting something in your mouth sounds a bit nasty when several other people use the same thing..

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
Yog Sothoth said:
All depends on what's on the other side of that lock I think, but spit wins over fingers when it allows anyone in your family (or have just kissed) to be allowed in if you set the parameters wide enough.
That is a good point, but security is an ever evolving battle... it's only be a matter of time before someone figures out how to defeat any given security measure.

In the case of saliva, an unconscious or recently deceased person would still be able to provide a sample for a determined individual....

Mostly what I was trying to get at though is that I think that movies and games are a poor choice for illustrating how easy a given task may or may not be.

Feb 13, 2008
Yog Sothoth said:
Mostly what I was trying to get at though is that I think that movies and games are a poor choice for illustrating how easy a given task may or may not be.
Very true, which is why I differentiated. Otherwise Mythbusters would be out of a job. :)