Resident Evil 5 is More Popular Than The Beatles

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Resident Evil 5 is More Popular Than The Beatles

Resident Evil 5 [http://www.capcom.com/], which in its first weekend of release managed to surpass both movies and music in total sales.

The long-awaited zombie thriller outsold every track on the U.K. Top 200 Singles Chart including both physical and digital formats, bested the sales of the new U2 album No Line On the Horizon [https://www.pushentertainment.com/u2] (which came out on February 27) in a single weekend and grossed more than the top five movies in the U.K. combined. Resident Evil 5 has shipped four million copies worldwide since it was released on March 13.

"This is proof if any were needed that games are the entertainment medium of choice in 2009," said Capcom's Leo Tan. "Thanks to its strong storyline, amazing graphics and compelling co-op play, Resident Evil 5 provides hundreds of hours of entertainment at a relatively low cost - and it's this value for money that consumers are increasingly responding to."

Comments in the Music Ally [http://musically.com/blog/2009/03/19/capcom-resident-evil-5-proves-games-more-popular-than-music/] blog point out that the relative popularity of Resident Evil 5, and videogames as a whole, is driven largely by declining music sales spurred on by the ease of music piracy. It's a valid point, but once again it's impossible to deny that videogaming is becoming an increasingly mainstream pastime, and that as discretionary entertainment budgets shrink, people are more inclined to maximize the bang for their buck. In many cases, that's games.

sanzo

Jan 21, 2009
Elurindel said:
Bigger than the Beatles? Isn't that blasphemy?
Well, didn't the beatles say they were bigger than god?

So if RE5 is bigger than the beatles...

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
I fail to see where anyone proclaimed that RE5 was more popular than the Beatles in the article..

Elurindel

Dec 12, 2007
sanzo said:
Elurindel said:

Yes, that was what my statement was a playful jab at. The Beatles did indeed once declare themselves bigger than Jesus.

But then blasphemy is a victimless crime, anyway.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
Elurindel said:
sanzo said:
Elurindel said:

Yes, that was what my statement was a playful jab at. The Beatles did indeed once declare themselves bigger than Jesus.

So Weskers the devil?

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Ollie596 said:
Elurindel said:
sanzo said:
Elurindel said:

So Weskers the devil?
What do you mean? He's the nicest, most trustworthy of all characters!
I mean, having sunglasses glued to your face isn't sketch at all.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Elurindel said:
sanzo said:
Elurindel said:

True but upsetting the beatles isnt, Paul could come after you with his incredible wealth and Ringo has probably been up to something evil all these years

Mr.Bubbles43

Jul 23, 2008
Wait wait wait, hundreds of hours of entertainment?

I think their calculations are off by a couple hundred hours.

quiet empire

Feb 19, 2009
I find RE5 to be extremely overrated, especially considering RE4 totally killed survival horror, the genre the original RE first created. And RE5 = RE4 unashamedly. The ads for it are all 'Chris Redfield is about to face his worst nightmare' when a more accurate description would be 'RESIDENT EVIL 5; just another generic action game'.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
sanzo said:
Elurindel said:

Last time someone said they were bigger than the Beatles it was a band named Oasis...the only thing they managed was to incur the wrath of millions of Beatles fan..hardcore way.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Mr.Bubbles43 said:
Wait wait wait, hundreds of hours of entertainment?

I think their calculations are off by a couple hundred hours.
I think they meant hours of trying to solve an impossible puzzle.
If not, the mercenaries level and all the side games...

Ionami

Aug 21, 2008
sanzo said:
Elurindel said:

Don't go there....

*pulls out sharpened Beatles vinyl*

Megatenist

Dec 19, 2008
Ahh man. I was hoping Capcom was going to announce that we can play as the Beatles in an upcoming RE5 DLC

I want to see John go against Wesker! :(

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
Malygris said:
"This is proof if any were needed that games are the entertainment medium of choice in 2009," said Capcom's Leo Tan. "Thanks to its strong storyline,...
...he's actually serious? Somebody, please just slap this man. He should be counting himself lucky that the costme that demoted Sheva from strong woman who is fighting against the plague thats threatening her home to "jungle babe" in one fell swoop didn't spark outrage.
Its Capcom...they all wear their pants in their heads...Judging for the awfull dialog lines in RE and the stupid DLC they release...and the fact they lost body parts in a competition.

Elurindel

Dec 12, 2007
Indigo_Dingo said:
Elurindel said:
sanzo said:
Elurindel said:

Exceot for, you know, Jesus. Think he might be a bit stung.
Yeah...but then I don't believe in him.