Hackers Attack OFLC Website

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Hackers Attack OFLC Website

A disgruntled Australian has vented his frustration at the Office of Film and Literature Classification, by hacking their website.

The anonymous hacker left a message on the website which read:

"This site contains information about the boards that have the right to CONTROL YOUR FREEDOMZ. The Classification Board has the right to not just classify content (the name is an ELABORATE TRICK), but also the right to DECIDE WHAT IS AND ISNT APPROPRIATE and BAN CONTENT FROM THE PUBLIC."

The OFLC site was quickly taken down, presumably so that it could be cleaned up and is still currently unavailable. Exactly what had irritated the hacker so much isn't completely clear. It may be the lack of an R18+ rating for videogames, but equally, it could be in response to the Australian's controversial plans to filter the content on the country's internet.

Some have applauded the hacker's actions, but others have suggested that his move may be counter-productive, and may in fact strengthen the resolve of the Australian government to forge ahead with their plans.

Source: GamePolitics [http://www.gamepolitics.com/2009/03/27/hackers-deface-australian-rating-board039s-website]

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Nice. Perhaps we Australian gamers should initiate some kind of Civil Rights Movement for our freedom of speech... tomorrow.

seule

Jul 21, 2008
Funny that the communications minister can't get anyone to side with him on the issue of filtering the internet, other than like... Michael Atkinson.

And whilst the senate balance stays the same, I can't see them getting the bill through, unless they go to Nick Xenophon and tell him they're going to give him everything he wants, and even then, Mr X is a noted freedom of speech advocate. I just pray that he holds his nerve and that next election, the balance doesnt change.

Arcticflame

Nov 7, 2006
Good on him.

Pity they will probably label him a cyber terrorist and use his example of "destructive behaviour" to ban the internet.

It's sad that it sounds half likely...

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Onmi said:
I'm getting pissed off the govourment wants to filter the internet, sorry but We aren't going to become China, I'll start a fucking protest if I have to.
Your not allowed to protest, they'll throw crocidiles at you.

But fear not, for Steve Irwin will return to save you in Austrailia's darkest hour and pull the sword from the stone.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Wow Australia kind of sucks. I guess I'll immigrate to Canada after college instead.

Mr Inconsistent

Mar 29, 2009
I dont think hacker is the aprpriated word for this man (Let's face it, how many feminine hackers do YOU know)... We should call him a freedom fighter!

'The best man to hire is a lazy man: he'll find the most efficient way to do the job when put to it.'

Mask of 1000 Faces

Feb 28, 2009
I'm suprised the site shut down. How hard is it to delete a message and resume normal operations? Maybe he went a little farther and they're just not telling us. *shrug*

Either way, they should have been expecting a little "internet greetings" from some of the folks they're driving up a wall, these days there's a hacker for every group.

*throws a "WIN" sticker twords Australian landmass*

Beefcakes

Pants Lord of Vodka
Aug 11, 2008
Onmi said:
I'm getting pissed off the govourment wants to filter the internet, sorry but We aren't going to become China, I'll start a fucking protest if I have to.
Well, tomorrow (technically today, I should get some sleep) I'm giving an oral presentation about it, hopefully it will open up some eyes...

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Onmi said:
TsunamiWombat said:
Onmi said:

But fear not, for Steve Irwin will return to save you in Austrailia's darkest hour and pull the sword from the stone.
Croc's? pfft. Who would fear a croc when you have THIS on your side

Seriously, the Japanese are wierd!

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Doug said:
Onmi said:
TsunamiWombat said:
Onmi said:

Croc's? pfft. Who would fear a croc when you have THIS on your side

Seriously, the Japanese are wierd!
It seems you understood the video.

I only managed to grasp the "YEAAH!!". Everything else is foreign to me and weird. And confusing. Even moreso.