Healthy UK Man Dies On His Wii Fit

Feb 13, 2008
Healthy UK Man Dies On His Wii Fit

A 25 year old English man has collapsed and died while using Wii Fit.

Scout Leader Tim Eves from Hopton-on-Sea in England was jogging on the spot with Wii Fit when he suddenly slumped over. Despite efforts by his friend and girlfriend to revive him, he was declared dead by the time he had reached the hospital.

His family has been told that the most likely cause of his death was Sudden Arrhythmic Death Syndrome [http://www.sads.org.uk/] (SADS: Also known as Sudden Adult Death Syndrome). However, the postmortem has yet to reveal the true cause of death.

SADS is a condition that is linked to approximately 1 in 20 cases of sudden heart failure. There is currently no way of determining exactly what part of the heart failed. Current medical thinking also links it to SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, also known as cot death).

Before the pitchforks are wielded by our wonderful tabloid press, it's worth going over a few details. Tim Eves had been drinking port (20% proof wine?) and ordered a kebab (massive amounts of grease?) after a long flight home from Portugal (deep vein thrombosis?).

It's always a sad time when someone dies, but you can't help feeling that the Wii might be taking the brunt of the blame. Would they have preferred him to slump down in his chair and then leap up to run down the stairs for his kebab? Because that always gets me out of breath.

Source: The Daily Telegraph [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/5074714/Fit-and-healthy-25-year-old-died-using-Nintendo-Wii-Fit-game.html] via link from GhostOfSin.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
SADS sounds like there's no known cause, just random "Thud! You're dead!" so it probably doesn't matter what he did that day.

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
Griever18 said:
I knew it. The Wii is evil!
How long is it until a zombie causes a heart attack for me when I play on House of The Dead Overkill? Fun... Over-Load... *Thud*

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
What?! the Wii kills people? We should sue Nintendo for manslaughter!!!
/joking

Jursa

Oct 11, 2008
Oh I can see Jack Thompson adding this to his list of videogame related deaths...

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Great another blow to gaming even though something like this could have happened if he was jogging anywhere else.

Woot

RogueDarkJedi

Dec 28, 2008
SADS? I thought only SIDS was the thing to worry about. But that really sucks for his family and friends. I hope they are able to get through this hardship.

CBB

Mar 24, 2009
HuCast said:
I have never heard of that SADS thing before...now Im frightened :(
Also a meteorite could kill you and your city at any moment, a madman could be hiding under your bed, a rabid bat could have passed the virus to you via a wound the size of a paper cut, and there's no guarantee that the world is real and exists outside your own mind.

Have a nice day!

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
HuCast said:
I have never heard of that SADS thing before...now Im frightened :(
Yeah. There was a case in my hometown (IN MY HIGHSCHOOL!) where few boys were running to catch up with a bus, one of them (TOTALLY HEALTHY DUDE) suddenly had a heart attack and almost instantly died...

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Banok said:
sudden god hates you syndrome...
Or perhaps it's Sudden God Loves You and Wants You Back in Heaven Syndrome (SGLYaWYBiHS), from the family's perspective it's probably preferrable.

That's very sad, but give us all an update when the post mortem's done!

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
Jursa said:
Oh I can see Jack Thompson adding this to his list of videogame related deaths...
He doesn't care if a video game kills someone, he cares if he can make it look like it caused someone to go on a killing spree. This is just like my dream. Soon 3 copies of Wii fit shall exist for every human being, then they will become self-aware and work us all to death!