Nintendo Fails The Green Test Again

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008

Nintendo has once again failed to win the favor of environmentalist organization Greenpeace, which has ranked the company at the bottom of its "Guide to Greener Electronics [http://www.greenpeace.org/usa/press-center/reports4/guide-to-greener-electronics-11]" list for the second year in a row.

"Nintendo remains in last place with a pitiful 0.8 points out of 10, scoring zero on all e-waste criteria," Greenpeace said. "The company has banned phthalates and is monitoring use of antimony and beryllium, and although it is endeavoring to eliminate the use of PVC, it has not set a timeline for its phase out."

Greenpeace did give Nintendo some credit for cutting down on carbon emissions, but chided the company for not having its CO2 reports externally verified and for not supplying enough information about how it disposes and recycles its products.

Microsoft, which was also the subject of Greenpeace's criticism last year, is once again hanging down in the bottom ranks with Nintendo, though it's score of 2.7 isn't nearly as dismal as Nintendo's 0.8. They also failed to report adequately on how its recycling data. As for Sony, they're around fifth place with a score of 5.5, having earned some favor for greening up their TV and PCs.

Nokia, meanwhile, is sitting pretty at the top of the standings. So if you want your gaming to be as green as possible, go for an N-Gage.

[Via Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23016]]

FallenRainbows

Feb 22, 2009
Keane Ng said:

Nintendo has once again failed to win the favor of environmentalist organization Greenpeace, which has ranked the company at the bottom of its "Guide to Greener Electronics [http://www.greenpeace.org/usa/press-center/reports4/guide-to-greener-electronics-11]" list for the second year in a row.

"Nintendo remains in last place with a pitiful 0.8 points out of 10, scoring zero on all e-waste criteria," Greenpeace said. "The company has banned phthalates and is monitoring use of antimony and beryllium, and although it is endeavoring to eliminate the use of PVC, it has not set a timeline for its phase out."

Greenpeace did give Nintendo some credit for cutting down on carbon emissions, but chided the company for not having its CO2 reports externally verified and for not supplying enough information about how it disposes and recycles its products.

Microsoft, which was also the subject of Greenpeace's criticism last year, is once again hanging down in the bottom ranks with Nintendo, though it's score of 2.7 isn't nearly as dismal as Nintendo's 0.8. They also failed to report adequately on how its recycling data. As for Sony, they're around fifth place with a score of 5.5, having earned some favor for greening up their TV and PCs.

Nokia, meanwhile, is sitting pretty at the top of the standings. So if you want your gaming to be as green as possible, go for an N-Gage.

[Via Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23016]]

But they Suck... Alot...I Mean REALLLLY bad.

Ionami

Aug 21, 2008
Tenmar said:
P.S.

The power is yours!
What.... really? No way sir! I don't think I know what to do with that much power... I'd prolly end up pissing off a lot of folks... I think the first thing I'd do is fire Miley Cyrus and her creepy ass dad Billy Ray into the sun.

DM. said:
I find this picture puts my answer perfectly.

I'm SUPER SERIAL!

Actually, I suppose it's more like "I'm THUPER THERIAL!

fenixrising

Mar 11, 2009
I wonder how many greenpeace employee's bought their children a wii for christmas?

or do they just play with a ball in the cup?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoUly6OoS7M

H.R.Shovenstuff

Sep 19, 2008
I believe Nokia are doing best since they long ago realised the n-gage was never going to sell and stopped producing them.

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
H.R.Shovenstuff said:
I believe Nokia are doing best since they long ago realised the n-gage was never going to sell and stopped producing them.
Seeing N-Gage has been dead as a gaming device for literally years, I guess it's exactly what Greenpeace wants.

Also, Greenpeace. They've been caught *shamelessly* lying for their own ass-backward no-good-for-nature idiotic politic goals over and over again. Anyone who takes Greenpeace seriously is the level of a moron that never deserves any respect, and I dump them in the same mental category with Scientologists - even considering their point is considered treachery towards having a brain.

Nova Tendril

Apr 1, 2009
For shame Nintendo. Is Turbine more eco-friendly? This will surely be the deciding factor in the upcoming poll.

Seriously, are we going to blame video games for the environment now? Don't these activists have more important things to protest?