Ex-King of Kong Going For Record At E3

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Ex-King of Kong Going For Record At E3

Former Donkey Kong world record holder and King of Kong star Steve Wiebe will attempt to reclaim his spot at the top during this year's E3 convention, and he'll do it on live TV.

If you've only seen Billy Mitchell [http://www.newline.com/properties/kingofkongtheafistfulofquarters.html], ended with Weibe scoring a record game and taking the title. What it didn't show was what happened after the movie came out: Mitchell retook the record, and he did it in public.

Since then, Wiebe has publicly attempted to reclaim the record four times, each attempt unsuccessful. At this year's E3, he'll be trying again, this time with one major difference: he'll be doing it on live TV. G4, which broadcasted The King of Kong last year, will be hosting the event and beaming it to cable subscribers all over the world. No pressure, Steve. No pressure.

Classic game scorekeeping organization Twin Galaxies [http://www.twingalaxies.com/] will be on hand to make sure everything's legit. The company's even supplying G4 will a Donkey Kong machine that has "all the required factory default settings" (if you've seen the movie you'll know this is a big deal to these people).

No word on whether that diabolical Billy Mitchell will be involved in the event in any way. If he does show up, though, you can bet he'll be wearing another one of those hideous flag ties.

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
I can't help but feel that this is a epic waste of time. But, to each their own.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Tenmar said:
My god, what is the record and how much time did it take to get that score?
The record is 1,050,200, held by Billy Mitchell. I'm not sure how a single game takes, but if you're talking how much time in the bigger scheme, these guys have been playing for years.

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
notoriouslynx said:
Keane Ng said:
Tenmar said:
My god, what is the record and how much time did it take to get that score?
The record is 1,050,200, held by Billy Mitchell. I'm not sure how a single game takes, but if you're talking how much time in the bigger scheme, these guys have been playing for years.
I hate Billy Mitchell. That guy is such a dick, or atleast he seemed like it in the documentary, the king of kong. Have you seen it?
I dunno, I liked Billy Mitchell a little more than Steve for some reason.

Maybe it was the beard.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Billy is the biggest douche alive. I cannot even stand the sight of that man on TV. The way he treated Steve was just downright disgusting.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Mister Benoit said:
I really really want to see this documentary.
You should check it out as soon as you can! Go rent it or Netflix it (you can watch it Instant), it's really good and full of absolutely insane people.

Billy Mitchell comes off as more of a dbag than he probably is in real life, but hey, it makes the movie fun.

super_smash_jesus

Dec 11, 2007
I thought at the end of the documentary Wiebe got the record again in his garage. Did Mitchell beat THAT again since the documentary aired?

Anyways, I was surprised how much I liked the documentary, considering I watched it on a whim thinking it was about King Kong. Hopefully Wiebe does well, but if he doesn't, at least he can hold "not being a douche nozzle" over Mitchells head.

Jetbaby

Jan 28, 2009
I can't believe how riveting the King of Kong was. I have far more invested in Steve Wiebe's struggle to earn the top spot than I have a right to. Go get 'em, Steve! Wie-BE! Wie-BE! Wie-BE!

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
super_smash_jesus said:
I thought at the end of the documentary Wiebe got the record again in his garage. Did Mitchell beat THAT again since the documentary aired?
Yeah, he did it the day the movie premiered, I think, for maximum douchiness.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Keane Ng said:
super_smash_jesus said:
Yeah, he did it the day the movie premiered, I think, for maximum douchiness.
Yup, I'm pretty sure thats when he did it too.

I'm gonna say that it was a great documentary as well. Its probably one of the few documentaries that actually caught my interest and made me watch it the whole way through.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
live marathon session of donkey kong...they should keep tabs on anyone who watches from start to finish; & then commit them

Moormur

Mar 24, 2009
To keep my language clean...I greatly dislike Billy Mitchell. I bear no responsability for what may happen if we ever meet in public (or private).

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
Keane Ng said:
Mister Benoit said:
I really really want to see this documentary.
You should check it out as soon as you can! Go rent it or Netflix it (you can watch it Instant), it's really good and full of absolutely insane people.

Billy Mitchell comes off as more of a dbag than he probably is in real life, but hey, it makes the movie fun.
Thanks, I needed a good movie for tonight.