Ex-King of Kong Going For Record At E3

Jul 9, 2008
notoriouslynx said:
Keane Ng said:
Tenmar said:
My god, what is the record and how much time did it take to get that score?
The record is 1,050,200, held by Billy Mitchell. I'm not sure how a single game takes, but if you're talking how much time in the bigger scheme, these guys have been playing for years.
I hate Billy Mitchell. That guy is such a dick, or atleast he seemed like it in the documentary, the king of kong. Have you seen it?
I understand that he was portrayed in an unfair way. Thing is, when G4 aired the movie, they kept going on about how Mitchel was "misunderstood", then they invited him on to the show (AOTS, I think) to set the record straight and...he was exactly like in the movie. It could still have been an act though.

Anyway, does anyone here remember the South Park episode where Stan's dad and Bono get into a contest to see who can take the biggest shit? I think that was a spoof of The King of Kong. For example, the scene where they let Bono get away with just sending in photos was a lot like the scene in the movie where they just let Mitchel send in a videotape.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
The fact that Mitchell sent in a videotape of him setting a record, and his little group accepting it without a single problem, stands out as him (and by association the people he has around him) really being a dick, no matter if the rest of him is an act or not.

And I guess that's kinda why I hope I never set a big record on anything because I don't want to become someone who just holds onto the few shreds of fame left to them by any means necessary.

That said, King of Kong was a riveting documentary.

BillBarilko

May 6, 2008
I hope Steve kicks the crap out of Mitchell's record. KoK is a fantastic documentary - gripping stuff, but also extremely well edited in a rather black-and-white manner. For a little balance (though I'm a bit sceptical about Twin Galaxies' objectivity) I suggest reading Tom Endo's excellent article, <a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/end
osgame/5899-The-Billy-Mitchell-Effect">The Billy Mitchell Effect, right here on our beloved Escapist, and Twin Galaxies' The King of Kong - Official Statement [http://forums.twingalaxies.com/viewforum.php?f=86&sid=fec1b4c1f16006f2b8e922f100cc39dd] in the TG forum.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
God... I can't imagine anything less watchable than watching someone play Donkey Kong for hours...

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
That movie was way more entertaining than I expected but I can't believe this is still going on.

Has anyone told these guys that there are way better games out now?

I'd like to see Mitchell and Weibe try and get 100% in GTA San Andreas, the original cut with the unbeatable RC Plane mission for Zero. Hell, I'd like to see those guys just get trough that mission but I get the feeling that neither of them have a ps2. Maybe Weibe - he's got kids don't he.

Another thing I didn't get: what was with the bbq sauce?

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
That movie was way more entertaining than I expected but I can't believe this is still going on.

Has anyone told these guys that there are way better games out now?

I'd like to see Mitchell and Weibe try and get 100% in GTA San Andreas, the original cut with the unbeatable RC Plane mission for Zero. Hell, I'd like to see those guys just get trough that mission but I get the feeling that neither of them have a ps2. Maybe Weibe - he's got kids don't he.

Another thing I didn't get: what was with the bbq sauce?
_> Better games out now? Stop...just...just stop.

Its not that there are better games out now, its just that this stuff is what they played and we're good at. They aren't saying that they're awesome at anything else, but if you've ever watched them play these games, god damn, I have respect for them.

Hey Joe

Dec 23, 2007
Wow, epic. Given the personal struggles Weibe had in the film attempting to break the record on national TV, live, is a pretty big deal.

Go Steve!