PETA Protests Seal Slaughter in World of Warcraft

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
PETA Protests Seal Slaughter in World of Warcraft

World of Warcraft [http://www.peta.org/].

PETA's opposition to the Canadian seal hunt [http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/media/seal-phoque/seal-phoque-eng.htm] is well known, of course, but now they're taking the fight to a whole new arena: The digital World of Warcraft, where four Canadian Horde sealers are apparently planning on beating the crap out of cute, white, furry little baby seals this weekend.

"Thrall refused to ban the slaughter of seals, despite multiple requests from the Alliance to do so, because Orgrimmar stands to make a large profit from the fur," the PETA website [http://blog.peta.org/archives/2009/04/help_battle_sea.php?c=pwowgb09] says. "Activists from across the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor are banding together to put a stop to the atrocious seal slaughter. Anyone who slaughters baby seals for their fur must surely be in service to the evil Lich King."

Players must be on the Kotaku [http://www.wowwiki.com/Server:Whisperwind_US] questions that claim and also notes that the event, sadly, isn't being held on a PvP server.

I'm not sure what all this means. Is this a "real" thing? Did PETA enlist four of its members to play Horde characters in this protest or is there an actual Horde guild of seal clubbers that runs around bashing and skinning seals? And if these guys are the "Sons of Canada," why exactly does one of them sound like stereotypical Georgia backwoods in-breeders? We don't talk like that.

If you're interested, PETA has created a Facebook event [http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=68773789006] in support of the protest and also has a series of videos posted on its YouTube channel. They don't do much to help explain what's going on but at least they're kind of amusing.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Perhaps the seal clubbers should track down PETA and sell their hides instead?

I suppose it's one way of making your point, it's better than actually attacking people at any rate.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
No. I deny you.

This CANNOT EXIST. Stupidity of this magnitude? It has to be some sort of joke.

shadowelancer

Mar 18, 2009
This must be some form of belated April fools joke. If PETA is foolish enough to try to control what happens on the internet they deserve to be shut down.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
What?

This is bizarre...

But to all Non-Canadian's out there,one of the reasons we haven't banned the seal hunt is due to pressure from Native Rights groups and Quebec, both of whom feel they have a right to. It's similar to Eagle and Bear Hunting.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Perhaps the seal clubbers should track down PETA and sell their hides instead?

I suppose it's one way of making your point, it's better than actually attacking people at any rate.
1) PETA hides are leather like and barely usable.

2) And yeah, it does beat attacking actual people over this.

iJosh said:
I killed a few. Im sorry PETA.

Fuck it, Its just a game.
Erm... you being meta or did you just not read the post? Basically, they made an advert to protest against seal hunting USING WoW.

Anywho, am I the only ones who find it down right insulting they turn to us gamers after whining about killing dogs in CoD 5?

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
shadowelancer said:
This must be some form of belated April fools joke. If PETA is foolish enough to try to control what happens on the internet they deserve to be shut down.
Re-read the post.

lasherman

Mar 11, 2009
that's twice in like a week ive heard of peta protesting something that isn't even real; this seal clubbing thing and being able to kill attack dogs in some war game. i cant believe they would spend any time and effort to protest something fictional.

EDIT: wait, i just re-read it; are peta protesting killing in-game seals, or are they protesting killing real seals just using the game?

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
scotth266 said:
No. I deny you.

This CANNOT EXIST. Stupidity of this magnitude? It has to be some sort of joke.
its PETA, what do you expect?

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
lasherman said:
that's twice in like a week ive heard of peta protesting something that isn't even real; this seal clubbing thing and being able to kill attack dogs in some war game. i cant believe they would spend any time and effort to protest something fictional.

EDIT: wait, i just re-read it; are peta protesting killing in-game seals, or are they protesting killing real seals just using the game?
Using the in-game seals to protest the killing of the real world ones, I do believe

Ladie Au Pair

Jan 27, 2009
I think this is hysterical. I literally wrote an April Fool's day post on my Blog about PETA attacking the Red Faction: Guerrilla Ostrich hammer. I didn't really think that it would happen...

http://thoughtsfromagamer.wordpress.com/2009/04/01/peta-is-up-in-arms/

Rezfon

Feb 25, 2008
I have weird desire to go kill some seals in WoW now...

maybe they thought they could get a foothold on warcraft players because of DHETA in borean tundra???

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Oh my gosh are these people STUPID?! IT'S A DAMN GAME. A GAME, ARE THOSE SEALS REAL? NO!? BY KILLING ONE OF THOSE SEALS ARE YOU HURTING A REAL DAMN SEAL? FUCK NO. I am so tired of these people with their "dun' kill animals in videogames" crap.

May 7, 2008
Doug said:
lasherman said:

Using the in-game seals to protest the killing of the real world ones, I do believe
=/....This all very clever and good advertising

but can't they shut the fuck up...

Jul 9, 2008
You know what? This is actually a decent idea, assuming that they're using the game to protest killing real seals rather than protesting killing virtual seals. I mean, they invite people to come to kill them, and they can tell them about the seal hunt in the mean time!

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Doug said:
1) PETA hides are leather like and barely usable.
I disagree, with hides and skulls as thick as some PETA members, they would make excellent body armour.

Impervious to conventional, biological, chemical, nuclear and logical attack!