PETA Protests Seal Slaughter in World of Warcraft

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
scotth266 said:
No. I deny you.

This CANNOT EXIST. Stupidity of this magnitude? It has to be some sort of joke.
Mind-boggling, isn't it?

Every story I hear about PETA makes me question their sanity just a little bit more. By this point I'm already imagining them sitting around their office wearing party hats and full chemical warfare protection suits, shouting about how they believe in aliens who they will protect by campaigning against games like (insert game where you kill aliens).

Bless 'em.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
sorry user name taken. said:
Doug said:
lasherman said:
that's twice in like a week ive heard of peta protesting something that isn't even real; this seal clubbing thing and being able to kill attack dogs in some war game. i cant believe they would spend any time and effort to protest something fictional.

EDIT: wait, i just re-read it; are peta protesting killing in-game seals, or are they protesting killing real seals just using the game?
Using the in-game seals to protest the killing of the real world ones, I do believe
=/....This all very clever and good advertising

but can't they shut the fuck up...
Thats like asking why Jack Thompson is still trying after all this time... their genetically retarded and unable to work out we don't care about their opinions.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Actually, I think reaching out for people that way and organising a protest in a multiplayer world is kinda clever. I know it's PETA who generally just make people who care about animals look silly, but I think they might be into something here. At least it's lots better then what they usually come up, but that's not saying much...

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Doug said:
1) PETA hides are leather like and barely usable.
I disagree, with hides and skulls as thick as some PETA members, they would make excellent body armour.

Impervious to conventional, biological, chemical, nuclear and logical attack!
True, I hadn't thought of that use. Tank armour another possible use for it. Could probably stop a depleted Uranium tank shell.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
PETA just seems to be getting dumber and dumber.

It's just saddening that these are the people who fight for animal rights.

May 7, 2008
Doug said:
sorry user name taken. said:
Doug said:
lasherman said:
that's twice in like a week ive heard of peta protesting something that isn't even real; this seal clubbing thing and being able to kill attack dogs in some war game. i cant believe they would spend any time and effort to protest something fictional.

EDIT: wait, i just re-read it; are peta protesting killing in-game seals, or are they protesting killing real seals just using the game?
Using the in-game seals to protest the killing of the real world ones, I do believe
=/....This all very clever and good advertising

but can't they shut the fuck up...
Thats like asking why Jack Thompson is still trying after all this time... their genetically retarded and unable to work out we don't care about their opinions.
=[

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3o4dEoFdl8

=D!

Jenny Creed

May 7, 2008
The other day I said that PETA would soon foolproof themselves by changing their name to PELT, People for Ethical Live-animal Treatment. Since they, sensibly, aren't concerned with dead animals. I thought I was joking. But I guess if they're actually protecting imaginary animals as well as real ones, the sky's the limit.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
I agree with PETA on the fact that the Seal hunt is sick (mostly because these Seals are days old), but I find this completely retarded.

May 7, 2008
nathan-dts said:
I agree with PETA on the fact that the Seal hunt is sick (mostly because these Seals are days old), but I find this completely retarded.
to connect with a larger audience that will most likely watch because its using WoW ...maybe?

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
scotth266 said:
No. I deny you.

This CANNOT EXIST. Stupidity of this magnitude? It has to be some sort of joke.
thecaptainof said:
Mind-boggling, isn't it?

Every story I hear about PETA makes me question their sanity just a little bit more. By this point I'm already imagining them sitting around their office wearing party hats and full chemical warfare protection suits, shouting about how they believe in aliens who they will protect by campaigning against games like (insert game where you kill aliens).

Bless 'em.
Why, God, why are they so smug when they didn't even bother to read the OP?

They are protesting against THE REAL seal clubbing USING World of Warcraft, not protesting against virtual seal clubbing in world of warcraft.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
You have no idea how crushed I feel after seeing that this isn't an old article from April 1... that being said, I'll go back to ignoring the PeTA-tards now.

-- Steve

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
I'm Canadian, and I am a fervent environmentalist who does not consider the whole of non-human life too be more important than all other life, thus making me not anthropocentric. I am ecocentric, which means I care about eco-systems as a whole, instead of crying over a few dead animals because they were cute, as the biocentric do. Biocentric means to think that all animals are equal, which would suggest that Albert Einstein is equal to a mosquito. The reality is that the high seal population is causing problems for the fish population. There are 4.4 million seals, and the government has authorised the hunting, not slaughter, of 300,000 of them. Not going to make much of a dent on the falling fish population, which the people of Newfoundland and Labrador are so dependent on. Oh ya, and I have testosterone too, so the cuteness of the seals makes them all the more worth killing.

Krelle

Apr 1, 2009
The whole thing is pretty unclear. If they're just trying to get people talking about them, though, I guess it's working. PETA should stage a rally at the DHETA site and march to warsong hold. It's a pity that they're not on a pvp server, though, so that folk could grief them.

Fark linked an intriguing story the other day (at http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/petas-pet-slaughterhouse/ which itself was linking a story from http://www.petakillsanimals.com/) about how PETA routinely kills the animals that it takes into care in order to save money. The irony was as delicious as baby puppy meat.

As for the seal hunt, I know that baby seals are cute but a grown seal is basically a highly evolved fish-killing machine. If we stopped hunting seals our fisheries would be in ever deeper trouble than they are now from lack of stock. I'm all for humane killing, don't get me wrong, but the seal hunt protests are such a Hollywood A-list joke. Protesting uneccessary cruelty is fine but don't protest the seal hunt because "seals are cute." Seals are assholes. Delicious assholes with lovely pelts that eat our fish. There's no reason not to hunt them.

Of course, PETA wouldn't care about the fisheries since fish are the "kittens of the sea" and they want people to write to the fisheries minister to urge them to "stop hunting sea kittens" and close down the fishing industry. I guess if everything went their way there would be enough sea kittens to go around for all the seals.

...Right. Pardon the rant. PETA bugs me.

Krelle

Apr 1, 2009
Lonan said:
I'm Canadian, and I am a fervent environmentalist who does not consider the whole of non-human life too be more important than all other life, thus making me not anthropocentric. I am ecocentric, which means I care about eco-systems as a whole, instead of crying over a few dead animals because they were cute, as the biocentric do. Biocentric means to think that all animals are equal, which would suggest that Albert Einstein is equal to a mosquito. The reality is that the high seal population is causing problems for the fish population. There are 4.4 million seals, and the government has authorised the hunting, not slaughter, of 300,000 of them. Not going to make much of a dent on the falling fish population, which the people of Newfoundland and Labrador are so dependent on. Oh ya, and I have testosterone too, so the cuteness of the seals makes them all the more worth killing.
Yes. Thank you.
Let's run away together and make babies and teach them to hunt seals.

(edit - sorry for double post. Lonan posted while I was hunting down urls. Hunting them down like seals.

.. all right I'll stop. I've beaten the joke to death. Like a-!

Heh.)