BioShock Team Working on "Huge Surprise"

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
BioShock Team Working on "Huge Surprise"

2K Boston lead Ken Levine told Gamestop that post-BioShock, his team is working on an unannounced title that will come as a "huge surprise."

The full interview [http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6206477.html] is actually pretty interesting. Levine talks about a wide range of subjects, such as his feelings on 2K Marin handling the second BioShock - "[it] wasn't the right thing for 2K Boston; it was the right thing for 2K Marin."

Most intriguing, however, is Levine's tiny and cryptic teaser about his studio's next project:

[blockquote]2K Boston is focused on our next project, which will probably come as a huge surprise to our audience and yet at the same time will make total sense once they see it. I will say that we're clicking on all cylinders.

Besides delivering on the narrative experience we're known for, it will include a type of gameplay that is completely new to us--something the BioShock team has never really explored in depth before. In all areas (art, design, and programming), we spend half our day being totally psyched, and half our day wondering what we've gotten ourselves into. We're kind of humbled by the challenge.[/blockquote]

Very, very interesting. Very vague, but also very interesting. As far as art style goes ... well, 2K Boston - previously known as Irrational Games - has already tackled cyberpunk with System Shock and, uh, Art-Deco-punk with BioShock, and once upon a time launched the stealth action game with Thief back when Looking Glass was still around. So, they've already touched on quite a few genres - where could they be going from here?

I admit, I'm intrigued. Levine and the 2K Boston team have been able to deliver on awesomeness so far. Hopefully whatever they'll pull out of the bag will follow suit.

Okay, wild mass speculation ... GO!

I bet 2K Boston's new title is going to be a Barbie Horse Adventures sequel.

(CVG [http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6206477.html])

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
My girlfriend kept saying that she had a huge surprise for me for when we would go on this date.

She dumped me, so forgive me if I can't be really enthusiastic about this.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Let us not forget Irrational's other fantastic properties "Freedom Force" and "Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich" back when they couldn't get good studio backing to save their lives. I loved those games and FF vs The Third Reich is one of the best super hero games EVER.

I am excited and I think that whatever 2k Boston does will be worth playing.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
A game design they've never done before? That rules out RPG stats, squad combat, exploration, horror, stealth, and most elements of the FPS in general.

Give the man's love for political discourse, I'd say they're making a vehicle game. Possibly giant robots.

Undeed

May 22, 2008
Catkid906 said:
My girlfriend kept saying that she had a huge surprise for me for when we would go on this date.

/thread

But seriously, I expect good things.

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
Catkid906 said:

Whoa, emotion dump!

"Germany once broke a promise with Russia so I don't trust you either."

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
L.B. Jeffries said:
A game design they've never done before? That rules out RPG stats, squad combat, exploration, horror, stealth, and most elements of the FPS in general.

Give the man's love for political discourse, I'd say they're making a vehicle game. Possibly giant robots.
Mmmm. Mecha game from 2K Boston? Yes plz.

Thrasher4567

Aug 19, 2008
I am very confused, first they give it the sea of dreams title then take it away and now its back again?

Foolish Mortal

May 5, 2008
I would kill for a Barbie Horse Adventures sequel.

I would also kill for some kind of unholy Valve/2K Boston hybrid. That would be beyond belief.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Erana said:
Survival horror, whoo!
I'm not sure about this but both Bioshock and System Shock were "survival horror"ish, and hence that may not fall under "style they've never tried before" label.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
oliveira8 said:
Ah ma god! Barbie Horse Adventures sequel!!

Cant wait!!!
Interesting how I thought basically the same thing. I was just going to post this:

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-1838851020570691020&hl=en-CA

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Wouldukindly said:
Catkid906 said:

So what could the developer do that is possibly worse?
Announce that they are going to be working on casual games on the wii themed around pony riding.