BioShock Team Working on "Huge Surprise"

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
Erana said:
Survival horror, whoo!
I'm not sure about this but both Bioshock and System Shock were "survival horror"ish, and hence that may not fall under "style they've never tried before" label.
They're as much a survivor horror as RE4 was...
Really, I don't want them to go the Survival horror route, but it seems pretty plausible, given the creepy atmosphere.

Dr Spaceman

Sep 22, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
Let us not forget Irrational's other fantastic properties "Freedom Force" and "Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich" back when they couldn't get good studio backing to save their lives. I loved those games and FF vs The Third Reich is one of the best super hero games EVER.

I am excited and I think that whatever 2k Boston does will be worth playing.
It kills me that the Freedom Force games are so often forgotten as both great games in general and as important elements of Irrational's catalog. If anything, these two games demonstrate this team's ability to make games outside of the FPS genre. I'm excited to see what they come up with next.

And yes, these are the best superhero games ever. Why? Largely because there was absolutely no need whatsoever to follow an established license at all, allowing for fantastic storytelling in a 60s comic environment.

dekkarax

Apr 3, 2008
They were rumoured to be making an X-com game a while ago, I'll see if I can find the link.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
maybe their gonna prevent the other deparment from trashing bioshock 2.... at the moment im not interested by that if they keep the big daddy story line.

Maniac536

Jan 14, 2009
The last Freedom Force game had a major cliffhanger, and Irrational was huge fans of that series even though the second game (while a superior product to the first) didn't sell as many as the first did, they could do a new Freedom Force game.

For Freedom!

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
dekkarax said:
They were rumoured to be making an X-com game a while ago, I'll see if I can find the link.
I was about to post this. X-Com for the win.

http://kotaku.com/386976/ken-levine-and-co-at-work-on-new-x+com-game

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
L.B. Jeffries said:
A game design they've never done before? That rules out RPG stats, squad combat, exploration, horror, stealth, and most elements of the FPS in general.

Give the man's love for political discourse, I'd say they're making a vehicle game. Possibly giant robots.
Mmmm. Mecha game from 2K Boston? Yes plz.
Mecha RTS.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
The big surprise is "a type of gameplay that is completely new to us--something the BioShock team has never really explored in depth before"? Um... okay. So are we supposed to be excited for them? I don't get it.

Yes, I'm grumpy right now. ;-)

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
Foolish Mortal said:
I would kill for a Barbie Horse Adventures sequel.

I would also kill for some kind of unholy Valve/2K Boston hybrid. That would be beyond belief.
This :D

Seriously, a Valve/2k collaboration would be worth millions just for the two names stamped side by side on the box.

runedeadthA

Feb 18, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
I bet 2K Boston's new title is going to be a Barbie Horse Adventures sequel.

I just pray to god that Gabe isn't part of the Bioshock 2 focus group...

SamLowry

Aug 27, 2008
Working on a huge surprise?
Oh, boy! That can only be IT!

IT*!!

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
There will be no leak of info...I found this Audio Tape scattered around 2K:

Levine: I chose the impossible, I chose...THIS GAME

Dev:please Mr.Levine I have been working on facial animations to make this NPC look "Confused with a slight hint of melancholy wonder all night!"

Levine: Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?

Dev: I quit.

Levine: Would You Kindly come back and do some more animating....

[Gavo]

Jun 29, 2008
L.B. Jeffries said:
A game design they've never done before? That rules out RPG stats, squad combat, exploration, horror, stealth, and most elements of the FPS in general.

Give the man's love for political discourse, I'd say they're making a vehicle game. Possibly giant robots.
Wait...oh my god. MECHWARRIOR/GOOD MECH GAMES RETURN!

I wish that series would come back.