15k job, moving house. What would be the perfect rent?

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Strange question I know, but there are people here on the Big-E with more life experience so it can't hurt to ask. I have a new job paying 15.5k, getting paid just over £300 per week (paid weekly). I'm looking for a new place and wonder what a good bracket for rent prices would be, considering things like food and possible bills...

Yes I am new at this.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
I think youve over estimated your weekly salary. I earn the top end of 18k ATM and i only get 1100-1200 a month (which is about 300 a week) expect to be on less on 15k.

At that salary id highly recommend you share with a friend or find a flat share (bills are included with flatshare)

If you go on your own try and go as cheap as possible (300 if possible). My rent is 460, gas/electric is 28 (i think eon made a mistake so expect 80-100), tax is 100, internet is another 30 (bearing in mind you HAVE to pay BT line rental to get broadband) and a few other bits and pieces such as TV license etc it all adds up to about 700-800 a month

Its not cheap buddy welcome to the real world ;)

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
No more than a third of your if you can manage it, that often means house shares.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Along with what has already been said about tax & giving some room for slack, you've also got to consider where you're living in the country. Some places are way cheaper than others, whereas London is nearly always very very expensive. You can cut down on your weekly spend but it all depends on how far you're willing to sacrifice lifestyle choices.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Esotera said:
Along with what has already been said about tax & giving some room for slack, you've also got to consider where you're living in the country. Some places are way cheaper than others, whereas London is nearly always very very expensive. You can cut down on your weekly spend but it all depends on how far you're willing to sacrifice lifestyle choices.
This ^

try looking at different locations. If you live near a city then youd be cheaper living outside the city and travelling further everyday (assuming you arent an idiot like me with a 25mpg car)

Generally speaking 300 is about as cheap as you can get. If you live in a relative shithole you might be able to get 200-250 for a pokey little studio

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
shootthebandit said:
I think youve over estimated your weekly salary. I earn the top end of 18k ATM and i only get 1100-1200 a month (which is about 300 a week) expect to be on less on 15k.

At that salary id highly recommend you share with a friend or find a flat share (bills are included with flatshare)

If you go on your own try and go as cheap as possible (300 if possible). My rent is 460, gas/electric is 28 (i think eon made a mistake so expect 80-100), tax is 100, internet is another 30 (bearing in mind you HAVE to pay BT line rental to get broadband) and a few other bits and pieces such as TV license etc it all adds up to about 700-800 a month

Its not cheap buddy welcome to the real world ;)
I work 9 hours a day at £7.50, making around £67.50 a day (without adding any overtime)
I do that five days of the week (weekend wage is doubled but I'm not doing it) which adds to... £337. I've had wages through already and it all adds up on my end, why think it must be less?

I've seen spots around 450-500 and they do seem to be decent bets, just wish I wasn't working in Winchester (one of the more expensive areas).

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Though I admit I'm not taking tax into this, so that could be throwing my maths off substantially. I was rather hoping I wouldn't have to go back with houseshares at this point :/ Downsides to the first job I guess.

farscythe

Dec 8, 2010
ive got roughly a similar ammount of money coming in as you do (i swing between 1200-1600 monthly) i pay 550 a month rent.
+100 electricity n gas and 200 and some in insurances (and another 100 ish in others ..internet etc) so yea...i scrape by on roughly 300 for food and whatnots a month on average.

wich isnt enough for much more than the basics (and finding the money for emergencys is a right pain in the arse)
that said im paying for 3 at the moment and if the missus finds work somewhere well be pretty set.

(as a side note thats 12-1600 after tax)

so yea back on topic..if your going to be living on your own and only paying your expences etc.. i wouldnt go over 500 at your budget... and..probably want to stay well under 500 if you dont want your social life to take a hit.

[edit] should also mention i live in holland now so my expenses may differ from yours to some extent

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
ZombieGenesis said:
Though I admit I'm not taking tax into this, so that could be throwing my maths off substantially. I was rather hoping I wouldn't have to go back with houseshares at this point :/ Downsides to the first job I guess.
Yeah i was about to say you probably didnt take tax into account