Nine-Year-Old Dies Imitating Wrestling Videogame

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Nine-Year-Old Dies Imitating Wrestling Videogame

A nine-year-old boy who died after jumping off the roof of his Brooklyn apartment building was apparently imitating moves he saw in the PlayStation 2 game WWE Smackdown vs. Raw [http://www.smackdownvsraw.com/].

Damori Miles died after jumping from the roof of his 13-story apartment building with a parachute he'd fashioned from string and a plastic bag. The boy had been left in the care of an older sister while his mother went to the store and neighbors said the alarm on the roof access door, which is supposed to sound when the door is opened, was broken. He was discovered early Tuesday evening and transported to hospital, where he died an hour later.

According to his best friend Shakar Murrel, Miles was attempting to imitate moves he'd seen in his favorite PlayStation 2 [http://www.us.playstation.com/] game WWE Smackdown vs. Raw. "He tried to do a swan dive like Jeff Harding (sic) does in SmackDown. That was his favorite game. He played it all the time," Murrel said. "That was what he was trying to do. If I would have seen him up there, I would have told him not to do it."

"It's terrible," added Shakar's mother Sumore. "The kids try to imitate what they see and they think they can fly."

It's difficult to fathom the motivations of a nine-year-old child but pointing the finger at WWE Smackdown vs. Raw seems like a dubious proposition at best. Even if we grant that kids that age may have trouble differentiating between 13 feet and 13 stories, why is the Smackdown vs. Raw videogame the focal point here and not the far more pervasive "real" WWE professional wrestling [http://www.wwe.com/]? WWE representative Robert Zimmerman called for a full investigation, pointing out that the game is intended for teenagers 13 and up and that nobody in the game uses parachutes or jumps off buildings.

"The death of Damori Miles is a tragedy and our condolences go out to his family," he said. "We should allow the authorities to conduct a full investigation... including insecure roof access, before conclusions are made about this unfortunate incident."

Source: GamePolitics [http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/brooklyn/2009/04/15/2009-04-15_a_9yearold_wrestling_fan_jumped_off_his_brooklyn_apartment_roof_wearing_a_homema.html]

DarkBlood626

Nov 9, 2008
A child once killed his 2 month old brother by imitating wrestling on the TV

But Oooo it?s on a video game I can already hear people blowing it out of proportion

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Wait, I know its wrong to insult a dead person, but how on earth could ANYONE think jumping off a 13 story building is in any way safe...

As stated in the article, the child should never have owned the game in the first place too.

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
I am slightly more interested in what Zimmerman said about that stuff not being in the game, and therefore how someone got the idea that this was because of the game.

GRoXERs

Feb 4, 2009
Malygris said:
Damori Miles died after jumping from the roof of his 13-story apartment building with a parachute he'd fashioned from string and a plastic bag.
This sounds more like he was experimenting with parachuting... perhaps we should blame Medal of Honor: Airborne instead.

Honestly, this is a kid being kinda dumb, with tragic consequences. It has nothing to do with video games...
though I wouldn't mind much if professional wrestling games were banned, as they are generally pretty crap.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Okay, I admit I'm not a WWE fan and so may not be terribly current on the rules... but aren't parachutes considered foreign objects, and thus are barred from the ring? This isn't immitating a video game. Kids have been jumping off roofs with makeshift parachutes for far longer than video games have been around. This is a lame attempt to shift blame unto the current scapegoat.

Note that I'm not assigning blame in this, as it's far too early and with far too few facts to do so even assuming it'd be justified or even useful. I'm just saying that if you're looking for culprits, don't pick games just because it's fashionable to do so.

-- Steve

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Same thing happened years ago when Dragonball came out when a kid jumped from a building and called for the magic cloud or whatever its the name in english.

If you wondering nothing showed up and the kid died.

Tech Team FTW!

Apr 1, 2009
Call me misanthropic but it seems that videogames don't make children violent, they make children stupid.

AbsoluteVirtue18

Jan 14, 2009
GRoXERs said:
Malygris said:
Damori Miles died after jumping from the roof of his 13-story apartment building with a parachute he'd fashioned from string and a plastic bag.
This sounds more like he was experimenting with parachuting... perhaps we should blame Medal of Honor: Airborne instead.

Honestly, this is a kid being kinda dumb, with tragic consequences. It has nothing to do with video games...
though I wouldn't mind much if professional wrestling games were banned, as they are generally pretty crap.
Exactly.

Hedberger

Mar 19, 2008
doesn't jumping off something look exactly the same everywere? o_O

They could just as easy claim that he was a friend that jumped off something. Why does he necessarily need to be imitating anything???

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
AHAHAHAH! I love it when natural selection pops up in the news! I was beginning to think it had disappeared, but this is great! Thanks for making my day, Malygris.

On a serious note, it's good to see some intelligent responses from some of the press, and the WWE as well. Much better than the usual blind "games are evil," crap that I find everywhere.

vamp rocks

Aug 27, 2008
correct me if im wrong, seeing as i do not own any wrestling games... but im pretty sure that people do NOT jump off buildings with parachutes and land on their opponents...

this is going to sound terribly cold... but im willing to bet that the 'best friend' suggested it and then when he realised what he had done blamed it on the game, seeing that blaming something on a game will definitely take the fall even if it is not to blame, simply because everyone is just looking for an excuse to ban video games..

the best friend stated :

"He tried to do a swan dive like Jeff Harding (sic) does in SmackDown. That was his favorite game. He played it all the time," Murrel said. "That was what he was trying to do. If I would have seen him up there, I would have told him not to do it."

how the hell does a swan dive have anything to do with a parachute! and how does he know that was the move he was trying to do if he did not see him jump off! he seems to know a god damn lot about exactly what was going through the jumper's head for someone who wasn't there!

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Pandalisk said:
Where the hell was the sister when he decided to scale the roof?
Um...

(Emphasis mine.)

"Scaling the roof" probably consisted of climbing the fire stairs up to the top and then opening the door to the roof. That door should've been locked to prevent this, though it's faintly possible the kid jimmied the lock or slipped out when someone else was doing work up there and had the door open.

As to where the sister was, well, climbing the stairs isn't exactly cause for drama... and you can't expect one kid to hover over the other every minute of the day.

I said above that it's far too early to assign blame yet because we don't have the facts. This is why I said it.

-- Steve