Bionic Commando Rated "M" Because of RE5

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Bionic Commando Rated "M" Because of RE5

Rating games is a tricky business - and sometimes, a rating might not reflect the actual game itself. Just ask Bionic Commando, whose "Mature" rating can be blamed on Resident Evil 5.

Now, the upcoming Bionic Commando isn't the most kid-friendly game in the world. There's some swearing - but it's apparently rather mild - and yes, you can throw cars at people and get headshots. But, as noted by MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/04/16/bionic-commando-is-rated-m-because-of-resident-evil-5/], the majority of M-rated games tend to be way, way worse. Why not do the tiniest bit of pruning down and shoot for a "Teen" rating?

As it turns out, because of Resident Evil 5. Capcom's Director of Communications, Chris Kramer, told MTV Multiplayer that Commando - previously scheduled to ship before RE5 instead of two months afterward - was originally slated to come packaged with the demo for the zombie-killing slaughterfest. Which, by the way, is definitely an M-rated game.

After the plans changed, the rating had already been set, and the Bionic Commando team had adjusted the game's content upward in order to compensate. Whoops! Even so, it's still hardly on the same level as, say, a God of War, Manhunt, or House of the Dead: Overkill. Heck, it isn't even an Onechanbara: Bikini Samurai Squad.

Has the ESRB's "Mature" rating become too broad? Should a softer title like Bionic Commando share the same rating as a maim-a-thon gorefest such as Gears of War? What about a game like Mass Effect, with some minor sexual content but comparatively little violence or language?

And if not, what should developers - and the ESRB - do about it?

Bionic Commando is scheduled for release at the end of May - check it out on The Escapist Show [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-escapist-show/503-Episode-11-Bionic-Commando]!

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I've been thinking this for awhile, ever since I learned that Halo is M rated...

Why?

I've never really noticed any swearing... sure there are some monsters but it's no worse than Star Wars...

Don't get it...

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Honestly, for right now anyway, it just might be best if they keep it pretty broad on the M rating. Until this "violent games are EVIL" hype is gone, it's probably best to keep things that even a few people might consider inappropriate for children out of their reach. At least, until they finally pass that law to make it a felony to sell em to minors, assuming that ever does happen...

captainordo

Mar 28, 2009
I think that the ESRB needs to make a section between T and M. Like the E-10 rating. For games like Halo(M), Republic Commando(T) and Bionic Commando (M). Something like T-15

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Meh, if it involves killing realistic humans an M rating is appropriate IMO.

Scubamike1978

Feb 13, 2008
In New Zealand we have more options in classifying games (Not like Australia which can't classify anything higher than 'M' and therefore doesn't get the really hardcore stuff). The ratings also have a few lines of text for why a particular game has a particular rating.

G - Suitable for a everybody. Ponies, rainbows and kittens abound.

PG - Parental guidance recommended for younger viewers. Generally because the themes are violent, which may be offensive to some people (like vegans, left-wing activists and the Amish).

R13 - Restricted to audiences of 13 years or over. May contain F-Bombs or boobies!

M - Suitable (but not restricted to) mature audiences 16 years and over. May contain violence or sexual content, that could offend the aforemention and upset/confuse younger children (who had a strict Mormon upbringing).

MA(15+) - Like M but a little more hardcore. Contains boobies, F-bombs and graphic headshots! Awesome!

R18 - Restricted to audiences of 18 years or over. Contains swearing, sweaty naked chicks achieving regular explosive headshots while using drugs! Extra awesome!!

And when comparing Bionic Commando to Resident Evil the "horror" aspect of RE5 just doesn't warrant an R18, and Bionic Commando kicking people off high-rise buildings and blood splatter isn't in the same league as a good tank battle.

Here both are "MA(15+) Strong Violence".

As KDR said "If it involves killing realistic humans an M rating is appropriate".

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
PedroSteckecilo said:
I've been thinking this for awhile, ever since I learned that Halo is M rated...

Why?

I've never really noticed any swearing... sure there are some monsters but it's no worse than Star Wars...

Don't get it...
Because IT HAS BLOOD!

I'm pretty sure that's the reason why. Apparently people have never skinned their knees and can't handle that level of realism. OMG PEOPLE BLEED?!? GET OUTTA HERE!

Oh, and you kill a lot of humanoid beings. And non-humanoid beings.

It it has violence, it gets a T almost automatically, regardless of how violent it is. Even cartoony stuff from the old Crash Bandicoot games wouldn't get an E rating in today's climate. And if it has blood or swearing? That puts it up one step further. I personally find it hilarious that swearing sitcks it in the M-rated range, as by the time you're 13-14 you've likely learned them all. Is it sad? Yes, but it's also true.

uppitycracker said:
Honestly, for right now anyway, it just might be best if they keep it pretty broad on the M rating. Until this "violent games are EVIL" hype is gone, it's probably best to keep things that even a few people might consider inappropriate for children out of their reach. At least, until they finally pass that law to make it a felony to sell em to minors, assuming that ever does happen...
Even if that law passes videogames will continue to be society's whipping post. I understand your point though, and it certainly is valid: the M-rating needs to be broad until the heat goes away.

Pumpkin_Eater

Mar 17, 2009
I can't help but wonder why they would put a demo of a rated M game onto a game that was likely to be rated T. The higher rating is guaranteed to hurt the sales of the game they're demo'ing but may not boost the sales of the other game. It certainly didn't help RE 5.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
They may as well pile in the tentacle rape.

No?

Maybe some good decapitation moves with the arm.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
What really surprised me was that Goldeneye got a T rating. You kill humans (or digital representations of them) with realistic firearms, and they recoil in pain, hop when shot in the leg, grab their groins when shot, roll forward and try vainly to get up before collapsing when there's an explosion behind them, blood stains appear on their clothing, and even have pinkish blood stains appear when they're shot in the lung area. You can run them over with a tank, toss a throwing knife into their back, snipe them in the head, and blow them up with grenade launchers. Still a teen rating. Then Halo gets a mature, where you're killing either fully armored people who don't even look human, or ridiculous aliens with green or blue blood, or mutated zombie monsters that explode into yellow goo. The rating system is completely arbitrary, and maybe, just maybe parents should actually think about what they're buying for their kids before they buy it. And maybe we should give kids more credit about what's going to alter their fragile little minds than we do.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
I personally use this kind of nonsense as evidence that I am a member of a small group of people whose brains still works correctly.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
sorry user name taken. said:
so what? would it be 15 or 18 rated in the uk?
If the BBFC do the ratings for it. I'd say 15. They treat games like films which I'm thankful for.

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
SmilingKitsune said:
sorry user name taken. said:
so what? would it be 15 or 18 rated in the uk?
Probably 18, though America tends to be a bit harsher with ratings for games, so it could be 15.
I'd imagine it would be a 15. The BBFC are cool with violence in my experience, and often defer to PEGI; RE5 is an 18, but if it is only violence, it would be a 16+ PEGI rating rather than an 18.

Ghost

Spoony old Bard
Feb 13, 2009
game ratings generally make no sense at all i find. which is true for movies as well... the same rules don't seem to apply to them all

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
You know, the ESRB has a pretty tough job. They've got to rate games on how age appropriate they are or aren't. And they've got to do it in such a way that will make the majority of people happy with that rating.

Thus, they often go more on the conservative side.

We may not agree, but overall I'd say it's for the best. Parents can make their own informed (Or ignorant) choices, the ESRB is just there to help with those that actually care.