New Details on 3rd DLC for Fallout 3

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
New Details on 3rd DLC for Fallout 3

Monday in London, UK, Bethesda Softworks presented journalists with an exclusive sneak peek at the third Fallout 3 DLC, Broken Steel, complete with new weapons, armor, monsters, missions and a higher level cap.

Executive Producer Todd Howard and his team at Bethesda Softworks have been focusing on developing Broken Steel since Fallout 3's launch. The DLC is the last piece of the puzzle before they're set to move on to developing something new and as-yet unannounced, according to Bethesda's Vice President of PR and Marketing, Pete Hines, which many presume will be a fifth installment of The Elder Scrolls series.

The most ambitious DLC pack for Fallout 3 yet, Broken Steel not only adds additional content, but changes the ending of Fallout 3 and expands the missions cap from Level 20 to Level 30, and adds plenty of extra perks.

Players will experience the Broken Steel adventure after completing Fallout 3's main quest and will allow players to continue playing in the game world even after all of the main story quests are finished. Originally, Fallout 3 ended immediately once the main quest was completed, leaving any uncompleted side quests or undiscovered places forever out of players' reach, a design decision to which many players objected.

Hines said Bethesda "got the message," and designed the add-on to resolve the issue, while leaving the story elements of the original ending intact. Players will be able to experience the original ending(s) of Fallout 3 and Broken Steel will then pick up where the main story leaves off. The players' decisions in the main quest will affect certain aspects of the world after it's complete and they will now have more options for completing the story.

In Broken Steel, players must assist the Brotherhood of Steel in tracking down an Enclave base and building a new weapon, the Tesla Cannon, to combat them. Much of the Broken Steel campaign takes place on a new game map, Adams Air Force Base, separate from the Wasteland, accessible via the secret Presidential Metro line, running underneath the destroyed White House.

The new campaign comprises about 4-5 hours of gameplay, longer than both previous DLCs, Project Anchorage and The Pitt, but additional side quests will expand that estimate considerably. In addition to fighting the Enclave, players can take on various new quests in the Wasteland assisting the Brotherhood, which may tie in to existing quests. As a result, Broken Steel should add considerably more gameplay.

The biggest addition included in the expansion pack is the increase in Fallout 3's level cap from 20 to 30. The additional levels increase the game's difficulty considerably, not only affecting the strength of various enemies, but increasing the XP requirements between the new levels. Pete Hines says the goal was to provide more incentive for players to play on after completing the main quest: "We want folks to really be able to play this a ton before they get to level 30."

The new levels also come with new perks, one of which, "The Puppy Perk" will essentially make Dog Meat immortal, creating a virtual clone each time he perishes in battle. Players who had grown attached to their in-game canine companion can now spend a perk slot ensuring his miraculous long-term survival.

New weapons include the Tesla Cannon ("Great for taking down Vertibirds"), the tri-laser and an Enclave "fire projectile weapon." There is also a new suit of Enclave armor and several new enemies, including the Feral Ghoul Reaver, the Enclave Hellfire Trooper and the Super Mutant Overlord.

Broken Steel will be available May 5th for 800 points.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
The new levels also come with new perks, one of which, "The Puppy Perk" will essentially make Dog Meat immortal, creating a virtual clone each time he perishes in battle.
I think that's awesome - I would definitely take that one. Both times I played through Dogmeat died incredibly quickly.

Yeah, keeping him alive in the other Fallout games was also a huge pain, but I don't think having your dog die is necessarily important to the canon :p

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I... am definitely interested.

Glad about the level cap being raised, mostly, but everything else sounds good too. Especially the Tesla Cannon.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
I still haven't found that damn dog :( On the bright side, might be the first DLC I plan to get (hey, might as well get the 2 others along =D )

SmilingKitsune

Dec 16, 2008
~drools~ I've been waiting so long for this, and it sounds absolutely fantastic.
OA was decent, but too linear, the Pitt was a big step in the right direction and I've enjoyed it a lot so far, this though, really seems like the real deal.
Raised level cap, new enemies, armour and weapons, a continuation to the mainquest and new side quests.
I'm genuinely considering freezing myself untill this comes out.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
This is worth just for the Puppy Perk.

...Okay, okay, other things are good, too.

Chosen_Chaos

Sep 11, 2008
This intrigues me, especially the bit about the ending being changed. I always believed that was a great weakness with the original game: the fact that after virtually unlimited freedom of action during the course of the game, you get an extremely limited choice rammed down your throat at the end.

Oh, and the fact that there are TWO possible companions (Fawkes and Charon) who are completely IMMUNE to radiation, yet neither will activate the device for you. *sigh*

scarbunny

Beware of geeks bearing gifs.
Aug 11, 2008
I hope there is enough new content in there to actually get me to level 30, 4-5 hours of the main campaign dosnt sound enough, and I really dont want to be grinding kills for hours.

Im looking forward to this but I expect to be disapointed.

Bonde

Apr 9, 2009
Sounds great with an expansion of the game itself. I was really worried that the game would end when I reached the end of the main story. And it's not even that far away from release. Bethesda have been really quick with making new and interesting DLC to FO3.

scarbunny

Aug 11, 2008
Just seen the achivement list for the new DLC

Death From Above 30
Completed "Death From Above"

Shock Value 30
Completed "Shock Value"

Who Dares Wins 30
Completed "Who Dares Wins"

Devil 20
Reached Level 30 with Bad Karma

True Mortal 20
Reached Level 30 with Neutral Karma

Messiah 20
Reached Level 30 with Good Karma

Only 3 new major quests? I take it this is going to be no longer than the Pitt.

Oh well epic grinding here we come.

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
great but once again us ps3 owners get screwed again , the level cap even at 30 is absolute bull shit but to keep playing after the end well seems pointless if you finish all quests and there doesn't have much replay unless you start over

Clemenstation

Dec 9, 2008
scarbunny said:

"In addition to fighting the Enclave, players can take on various new quests in the Wasteland assisting the Brotherhood, which may tie in to existing quests."

I took this to mean that the achievements would be tied to the 'main' set of new quests (the Air Force Base arc), but that there would be some additional stuff around the wasteland to do as well.

I read somewhere else that there would be water caravan missions, etc. Hopefully the achievements don't really reflect the full extent of new content that'll be added.

scarbunny

Aug 11, 2008
Clemenstation said:
scarbunny said:

"In addition to fighting the Enclave, players can take on various new quests in the Wasteland assisting the Brotherhood, which may tie in to existing quests."

I took this to mean that the achievements would be tied to the 'main' set of new quests (the Air Force Base arc), but that there would be some additional stuff around the wasteland to do as well.

I read somewhere else that there would be water caravan missions, etc. Hopefully the achievements don't really reflect the full extent of new content that'll be added.
Im sure there will be other quests as well, but I really dont hold much hope of there being enough to fill another 10 levels. Especially if they have upped the XP needed.

Also I would have thought seen as they have already broken the 1250 cap that they would have had achivements for the sub quests like with the main game, its a nice tally for what you have missed if noting else.

Clemenstation

Dec 9, 2008
scarbunny said:
Im sure there will be other quests as well, but I really dont hold much hope of there being enough to fill another 10 levels. Especially if they have upped the XP needed.

Also I would have thought seen as they have already broken the 1250 cap that they would have had achivements for the sub quests like with the main game, its a nice tally for what you have missed if noting else.
On my first run through the game, I managed to explore a bit, do some achievement quests, and finish up the main storyline JUST after I hit the level cap. I estimate that I hit the cap when I had seen/completed maybe 50% of the game content.

Maybe I'm just inefficient, but it seems to me that you could raise the level cap to 30 and get there pretty easily just by completionist-ing the original wasteland.

Deathsong17

Feb 4, 2009
Microsoft are lucky my PS3 is rejecting my credit cards for some reason or else I would kill them all for denying me this!

And on a side note, if you tell Dogmeat to go to Vault 101, does he leave for ever?

scarbunny

Aug 11, 2008
Clemenstation said:
scarbunny said:

On my first run through the game, I managed to explore a bit, do some achievement quests, and finish up the main storyline JUST after I hit the level cap. I estimate that I hit the cap when I had seen/completed maybe 50% of the game content.

Maybe I'm just inefficient, but it seems to me that you could raise the level cap to 30 and get there pretty easily just by completionist-ing the original wasteland.
The problem I have there is I went and completed everything on my first run through I hit the cap around 60% through my play and ended up breezing through the rest of the game. Maybe I should have left more to do on another play through.

No matter how much i enjoyed play through the first time there isnt enough there for me to start again, Ive tried I just got bored