Scientists Extract 'Blood' From Dinosaur Bones

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Scientists Extract 'Blood' From Dinosaur Bones

A group of researchers at North Carolina State University have extracted a mix of proteins and structures that they believe once constituted a dinosaur's blood.

More than four years ago, paleontologist Mary Schweitzer published a report [http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn7195-blood-vessels-recovered-from-t-rex-bone.html] in which she claimed to have found soft tissue in the broken, fossilized leg bone of a Tyrannosaurus.

Met with a series of harumphs and cries for further proof from her colleagues, Schweitzer and her team inspected the similarly preserved leg of an 80-million-year-old hadrosaur, hoping to find at least the same sort of collagen they discovered in the T-rex leg.

Instead, and much to their pleasant surprise, the team discovered proteins [http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17060-first-dino-blood-extracted-from-ancient-bone.html] including "haemoglobin, elastin and laminin" -- all of which offer a much more intricate view of an animal's physical characteristics and genomic structure than simple collagen.

Before Schweitzer's research it was widely believed that these organic structures simply couldn't survive the rigors of fossilization.

The researchers hope their discovery will offer new insight into the evolution of our prehistoric forebears. Hopefully that offers some comfort when your family is being eaten by a pack of cloned velociraptors.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
uppitycracker said:
holy crap, time to brush up on my velociraptor survival plans....
Indeed. XKCD should have a good solution up in a couple days.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
WE MUST STOP THEM FROM UNLEASHING RAPTOR ARMAGEDDON

QUICK SOMEONE GRAB THE SHOTGUNS I'LL CONTACT THE MAFIA

I was frankly amazed that they were even able to do this in the first place; it's nearly miraculous.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
In other news, KFC Colonel-looking British gentelmen invests millions on buying a small island and shipping miles of electric fencing to said island in a bid to, and we quote:

"Totally not recreate the dinosaurs in a bid to make a theme-park... Seriously."

Duh

Feb 19, 2009
Agayek said:
uppitycracker said:
holy crap, time to brush up on my velociraptor survival plans....
Indeed. XKCD should have a good solution up in a couple days.
those goddamn doors are gona be the death of me

JC175

Feb 27, 2009
Holy shit, will someone make sure the magnetic locks are all working? And don't let anyone with a can of whipped cream into the facility.

irishdelinquent

Jan 29, 2008
besides the fact that the bone is from a hadrosaur (aka herbivore, probably a Corythasaurus, or something like that), I'm sure that scientists are not stupid enough to clone dinosaurs to adult age.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
irishdelinquent said:
besides the fact that the bone is from a hadrosaur (aka herbivore, probably a Corythasaurus, or something like that), I'm sure that scientists are not stupid enough to clone dinosaurs to adult age.
That's what they said about InGen! WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!

Kogarian

Feb 24, 2008
So what I say is this: we get a group of fellow gamers who are semi-athletic, train for a few weeks in an outdoor's survival/hunting/trapping/shooting session. We then land on an island filled with these beautiful marvels...then duke it out.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Tank207 said:
TMAN10112 said:
This is gonna' take hunting to a whole new level *pumps shotgun*.
"Clever girl." -Raptor pounce-
He never should have died.
Especially because he didn't in the book.

But really, he was too bad-ass.

Edit: On topic, I'd say this is really very neat. I always liked dinosaurs!