Unopened Earthbound Goes For $1000 on eBay

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Unopened Earthbound Goes For $1000 on eBay

Them Earthbound fans be crazy: An unopened copy of the quirky SNES JRPG fetched a hefty price on eBay - over $1000.

What would you pay to get your hands on a legitimate copy of a rare game? Original copies of Final Fantasy VII or Suikoden II have been known to sell for hundreds of dollars on sites like eBay, and those are usually used copies, too. So what would you expect a factory-new, unopened version of the SNES cult classic Earthbound to go for? $200? $500?

When all was said and done, 35 bids had been placed, and the price had skyrocketed. The final sum? A cool $1,025 - and .01 cents [http://cgi.ebay.com/EARTHBOUND-Super-Nintendo-BRAND-New-Factory-SEALED-SNES_W0QQitemZ290313422065QQcategoryZ139973QQcmdZViewItem].

Y'know, the interesting thing is ... if someone is that passionate about Earthbound, they aren't buying this game because they want to play it - no, they probably already own (and love) it. Whoever purchased Earthbound for over a grand probably did so because they wanted to own a pure and unopened copy of the game to look at and lovingly stroke for the rest of their lives.

That's kind of crazy. But then again, so are Earthbound fans.

(GoNintendo [http://gonintendo.com/?p=81413])

Fruitloops89

Feb 20, 2009
If I had a grand to waste I would so buy something like this too, an unopened copy of one of my favorite games. Then again I might also try and buy a copy of Suikoden I & II, Tales of Destiny I & II(Eternia), Star Ocean 2, and Lunar games on the playstation... there went my fictitious grand

Aquatopia

Nov 2, 2007
I'm sure they bought it for the un-scratched scratch-and-sniff cards in the player's guide.

YukoValis

Aug 9, 2008
it is an awesome awesome game, so I'm not surprised. It's just something I personally would never do.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
...................................................................................................
...................................................................................................
.......................................facepalm...............................................

RavingPenguin

Engaged to PaintyFace
Jan 20, 2009
DeadRow said:
Sure I saw this on a thread on the forums first ^^
Yeah, but then it was only going for 700 dollars. I posted on that forum, it was rediculous then, but now its just absurd.

maxusy3k

May 17, 2008
Wouldukindly said:
Is Earthbound any good *awaits to be killed*? Let me reword that. For someone who normally doesn't play JRPSs (I'm not really a fan of their artistic style) is it worth looking into?
Earthbound is... odd. It's certainly different. I enjoyed it and I don't really look into JRPGs so much. I don't know if it's worth going crazy over, but it certainly stands out, and some parts of it will stick with me forever.

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
I realise that this person doesn't want to play it and wants to "preserve" it but if they intend to play it get an emulator!

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
Wouldukindly said:
Is Earthbound any good *awaits to be killed*? Let me reword that. For someone who normally doesn't play JRPSs (I'm not really a fan of their artistic style) is it worth looking into?
Earthbound's artistic style is completely different from any JRPG, or even any game, you have ever played before. The game itself is surreal, weird, funny and completely awesome. If you don't like JRPG's the battle system and the small amount of required level grinding at the beginning of the game may turn you off at first but if you keep playing you probably don't care about that anymore.

TheMatt

Jan 26, 2009
DeadRow said:
Sure I saw this on a thread on the forums first ^^
Who cares, be quiet.

To the issue. IF (and it's a big if) I had disposable cash in this order hell yah i would buy crap like this.

FF 3 unopened? or even better, Fricken battle toads for the NEs unopened? rules.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Wow. If I had a grand I wouldn't do it but if you were that crazy about a game go ahead. Personally I'd buy rare memorabilia instead. Like a Giant statue of Cloud or Marcus Fenix.