162: When Worlds Collide

Howard Wen

Jan 30, 2007
When Worlds Collide

One of the experiments of the AR Second Life project at Georgia Tech brings avatars out of the virtual world of Second Life and into the real world to interact with real people. Imagine wearing a head-mounted display and checking out that sexy avatar you've had your eye on standing right in front of you in life-sized form.

Read Full Article

BallPtPenTheif

Jun 11, 2008
LOL

great, an AR eyepiece that allows me to see my world covered in Mark Echo advertisements and logos.

nice article.

it's funny, i used to comment that people with blue tooth headsets are indiscernable from street corner shizophrenics when they are arguing over their phone. it would seem like this AR technology would continue to narrow the gap between those who seem insane and those who are not. i can imagine walking down the street seeing somebody waving wildly in the air only to discover that they had an AR eyepiece and were only playing a videogame while waiting for the bus.

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
No, no, no and no. We are already to dependant on electronics without our eyewear being filled with them.

BallPtPenTheif

Jun 11, 2008
sammyfreak said:
No, no, no and no. We are already to dependant on electronics without our eyewear being filled with them.
i see the use for this device being more functional if it were hooked up to Wikipedia. like creating AR pop up windows when i focus on an object, with a background description of what it was.

addittionally, it would be funny to create a modified reality overlay on reality. it would be much like a second conciousness complete with internal references and jokes that only people with the AR eyepiece could relate to.

currently media seems to seperate people into seperate perspectives of reality
- radio
- television
- internet

AR would probably create another avenue of information that would further splinter our generational perspectives.

TomNook

Feb 21, 2008
I can just see 25 people standing in some field pseudo-larping SLAYING THE DRAGON!

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Lets be serious though if you could get an eyepiece that only you could see what you were looking at, what are 90% of guys gonna do 90% of the time? Just being realistic, although I wouldn't be against it (I am one of the 10%, we only look it up 80% of the time) because it would be pretty useful

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
I can see science fiction authors getting really giddy and setting off to go write a 1984-type novel where AR goes horribly wrong.

BallPtPenTheif

Jun 11, 2008
needausername said:
Lets be serious though if you could get an eyepiece that only you could see what you were looking at, what are 90% of guys gonna do 90% of the time? Just being realistic, although I wouldn't be against it (I am one of the 10%, we only look it up 80% of the time) because it would be pretty useful
rough polygon nuditiy skin overlays on women?

kind of sad, no?

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
Huh. Odd, I didn't think of sex.

First thing I thought of when reading this is that this would be a huge boon for tourists.

Imagine going to your favourite tourist spots and the augmented reality at the spot would allow for a virtual tour guide instead of those headsets for audio tours they give people now at the very least and full on re-enactments and displays that give you a sense of "then" in virtual and in reality you see the "now". Museums with AR anyone? Finally, why not have AR graffiti art to beautify a city virtually to attract tourists?

Also, aren't the military interesting in AR too for the use of the soldier as a future warrior weapons platform? A second or more set of eyes, added information from various scans and satellite imagery, essentially letting a soldier see through and around walls in real time, target identification and acquisition - of course, any such notion leaves open the idea of hacking or shutting down an enemies' AR to give your side an advantage. Though, what are the chances anyone actually cares enough to load up a soldier with gear that possibly costs considerably to develop, maintain, and support when they still think of them as canon fodder?

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
CanadianWolverine post=6.68187.628843 said:
Huh. Odd, I didn't think of sex.

First thing I thought of when reading this is that this would be a huge boon for tourists.

Imagine going to your favourite tourist spots and the augmented reality at the spot would allow for a virtual tour guide instead of those headsets for audio tours they give people now at the very least and full on re-enactments and displays that give you a sense of "then" in virtual and in reality you see the "now". Museums with AR anyone? Finally, why not have AR graffiti art to beautify a city virtually to attract tourists?
I can see this at Gettysburg; and how amazing it would be.

They kinda do have AR graffiti :) [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFWcAkxzkv4]

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
I read the part about cell phones bieng used and that would be awesome, standing out on my street and i pull out my camera phone and i see a guy slaying a dragon in front of me.

I would also like an eyepeice, you could put it in my glasses, like a project(?) then when i get a camera int he other eye i will have the best life ever..., MMOs would never be the same...

wfpdk

May 8, 2008
BallPtPenTheif said:
LOL

i can imagine walking down the street seeing somebody waving wildly in the air only to discover that they had an AR eyepiece and were only playing a videogame while waiting for the bus.
my thoughts exactly