Hideo Kojima Feels "Pressure" to Continue Metal Gear

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Hideo Kojima Feels "Pressure" to Continue Metal Gear

Despite a professed desire to move on to other things, Metal Gear [http://www.konami.jp/kojima_pro/english/index.html] creator Hideo Kojima says he still feels pressured to continue working on the series.

Since wrapping up Kojima Productions [http://www.konami.jp/mgs4/global/] to include a U.S. operation.

But in an interview with Develop [http://www.developmag.com/news/31918/Kojima-feels-the-pressure-to-continue-Metal-Gear], the famed designer admitted that despite his other interests, he feels "absolute pressure" to stick with his most famous creation. "Maybe if I quit Konami that pressure might be a bit better, but since Konami handles the business side of our operations, yeah, there's definitely a demand continue a series as successful as Metal Gear."

While Kojima said he'd "love to" work with some of the Western studios he visited on his tour, he also seemed uncertain about the idea of handing the franchise over to anyone else. "I think that Metal Gear, well, that's..." he continued, before pausing to consider his words. "I think that what you might expect from a Metal Gear might only be possible from Kojima Productions, rather than leaving it to an outside studio to produce a satisfactory product. But, then again, if I got an offer saying a company wanted to do it, maybe!"

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Onmi said:
I wonder if he means pressure from the fans or pressure from Konami...
I imagine both. Although I also imagine Konami aren't sending him death threats to keep the series going, so the fans would be the ones applying more pressure here.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
Onmi said:
I imagine both. Although I also imagine Konami aren't sending him death threats to keep the series going, so the fans would be the ones applying more pressure here.
I'll say more Konami. Metal Gear sells ALOT, so releasing a game with the MGS name will sell much more on release than a brand new franchise....or Zone of Enders!

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
oliveira8 said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Onmi said:
I'll say more Konami. Metal Gear sells ALOT, so releasing a game with the MGS name will sell much more on release than a brand new franchise....or Zone of Enders!
True, but are Konami telling them that they will effectively stop his heart? I think not, and that's pretty much what the fans are saying here. I guess the fact that it makes an arse load of cash probably eggs him on.

God I hope this next title isn't MGS. I love it, but his talent is being wasted. Come up with something else or bring Snatcher into the current generation, I need more cyberpunk in my life.

quiet_samurai

Apr 24, 2009
I've never played MGS4, so in my statement below if I got anything that conflicts with the story in MGS4, that is my excuse.

Maybe Raiden can permanently take over for Snake when he dies, according to the writers all he has to do is graft a piece of Snake's body onto his own and he will then turn into Snake. Or maybe he could just carry his mustache arounf in his pocket, "Don't you know me Hal? It's me Snake... I live on throught this mustache."

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
oliveira8 said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Onmi said:
True, but are Konami telling them that they will effectively stop his heart? I think not, and that's pretty much what the fans are saying here. I guess the fact that it makes an arse load of cash probably eggs him on.

God I hope this next title isn't MGS. I love it, but his talent is being wasted. Come up with something else or bring Snatcher into the current generation, I need more cyberpunk in my life.
"Maybe if I quit Konami that pressure might be a bit better, but since Konami handles the business side of our operations, yeah, there's definitely a demand continue a series as successful as Metal Gear."

Its on the news text. :p

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Random argument man said:
Just by saying the comment, he'll probably receive a call soon.
I think not. I remember from his PSM interview (during the E3 trailer of MGS3) that the only reason he came back to it was because no one stepped up. He basically let anyone from his team volunteer to take the lead. Some time passed, and not a single person answered.

Tony Grande

Feb 7, 2009
He could give me a full length movie and I'd buy it as a game! The man knows how to tell a story.

black lincon

Aug 21, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
black lincon said:
RebelRising said:
You guys like using that picture, don't you?
It is, after all, the best way to describe Kojima without words.
But that picture really doesn't do the man justice, does it?
A grown man deep in thought riding a duck. From what I hear about MGS4's story I think that sums up the creator quite nicely.

roastbeefy

Apr 20, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
oliveira8 said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Onmi said:

I read that he was working on a new snatcher game with Suda 51, calling it Project 'S'.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
oliveira8 said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
oliveira8 said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Onmi said:

"Maybe if I quit Konami that pressure might be a bit better, but since Konami handles the business side of our operations, yeah, there's definitely a demand continue a series as successful as Metal Gear."

Its on the news text. :p
Oh I'm not denying that one. I imagine the pressure would get a bit lighter if you go from corporate pressure and death threats, to just death threats.

roastbeefy said:
Ah yes I remember that. One can only hope, because that would be insane, two warped genius minds working on one title. Suda's been making the rounds recently it seems, how the hell is he going to get all of it done?