Metroid Prime Trilogy Coming To Wii

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Metroid Prime Trilogy Coming To Wii

Nintendo is releasing a compilation of all three main Metroid Prime games for the Wii this August. Metroid Prime Trilogy adds widescreen and Wii Remote support for the first two GameCube Prime games.

If you happened to miss any of Retro Studios' Metroid Prime games, Nintendo is now giving you the chance to try them for the first time in a single package with the Metroid Prime Trilogy compilation. If you have played the games before, Nintendo is now giving you the chance to buy them all again.

And you just might have some incentive to: In addition to saving shelf space by housing all three games on a single disc, Metroid Prime Trilogy outfits the first two games, which were built for the GameCube, with modern-day features like widescreen presentation, the same "breakthrough" Wii Remote controls from Metroid Prime 3, and "other enhancements."

"Metroid Prime Trilogy puts the best first-person adventures all in one place, with a host of new additions that make these three timeless titles more engaging than ever," said Cammie Dunaway of Nintendo. "A great deal of care and detail has gone into Metroid Prime Trilogy, providing longtime fans with new ways to experience the games they love."

The compilation will also feature an unlockables system that rewards you with music and art for "accomplishing objectives across all three games."

Is Nintendo priming gamers for a new Metroid or are they just trying to make some easy cash off first-timers and eager double-dippers? Maybe both. I'm just angry that Metroid Prime Pinball isn't included here.

Trilogy will be available August 24 and will run for $49.99.

MrPop

May 14, 2009
I enjoyed the trilogy on GC so it would be good for that. Although I just can't help but feeling that Nintendo is just pushing out another retired train for a bit of money and also to fill in the void of a lack of decent Wii games coming out in the future.

Also you could probably buy all 3 for the GC and use 'em on your Wii for the less but I suppose if you want some motion control... >.<

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
I'm really interested in seeing what Metroid Prime 2 is like.

Nexus424

Master Of All That Is Frosty
Dec 26, 2008
I hadn't gotten the chance to play number three so this would work well as I enjoyed the first two very much so.

blackcherry

Apr 9, 2008
If I didn't own all three I would buy this when it comes out. Sure it looks like the beating of a dead dog, but the Wii controls really do make the difference.

After playing the third, it was almost a shame to go back to the old controller scheme of prime!

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Cosndiering that I have all 3 games in my home, I can't see the justification for buying this.

I'm getting sick of Wii motion controls. Constantly holding up the gun to the screen and messing around with the motion bar to ensure proper movement detection is annoying.

Maybe if they actually add substantial content to the game I would consider buying it. It's the same problem I had with Pikmin Wii. I love Pikmin, but I already own the damn game and the requirements to play it are not a hassle at all. I bought Super Mario 64 on the virtual console because I didn't want to dig through a tangle of wires to connect my N64 to the TV. With Pikmin (and the Metroid Prime games), I can just pop the disk in.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
tendo82 said:
I'm really interested in seeing what Metroid Prime 2 is like.
Frickin' hard.

This sounds, pretty good. I'm interested to see how the motion controls work in Prime 1/2.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
i SO hope this comes out in the UK as well though they will probably charge a fortune for it.

smithy1234

Dec 12, 2008
I'm really mad now because I just bought Metroid Prime 3 for the same price when I could of gotten Metroid Prime 3 as well as Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2. :mad:

Grounogeos

Mar 20, 2009
Nice. I've been wondering what it wold be like to play MP and MP2 with Wii controls.

I just hope that they continue the series... it would be so tragic to see such a great franchise die...

Gamer137

Jun 7, 2008
I am a sucker for Metroid. I'm sure to buy it if I have any extra cash. Maybe the controls will make it a bit easier since MP3 had the best of the trilogy.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
What is this, a nintendo advertising site? :/ Never liked metroid games anyway - those blobby things that stuck to your face were a *****. Also I felt it was a little too much like Quake 3.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Ashbax said:
Also I felt it was a little too much like Quake 3.
....I am failing to see the comparison. Care to explain?

Anyway, it's a good thing I didn't buy 2 or 3 yet. I find this a surprising treat from Nintendo. One of the very few anymore. Of course this is likely just more money wringing from one of their stagnating franchises.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
DeadlyYellow said:
Ashbax said:
Also I felt it was a little too much like Quake 3.
....I am failing to see the comparison. Care to explain?

Anyway, it's a good thing I didn't buy 2 or 3 yet. I find this a surprising treat from Nintendo. One of the very few anymore. Of course this is likely just more money wringing from one of their stagnating franchises.
*Shrugs* alot of the bosses just seem like Quake aliens, and the combat feels similair also. Not that there was anything wrong with quake three - it was a great game. Im just pointing out something...

grinklehi

Sep 10, 2008
Ashbax said:
What is this, a nintendo advertising site? :/ Never liked metroid games anyway - those blobby things that stuck to your face were a *****. Also I felt it was a little too much like Quake 3.
Those Blobby things are the Metroids, which, you know, the games were named after and all. I personally thought that the game was fun, but the bits with the half-pipes were as annoying as hell. The Wii motions in MP3 seemed a bit finicky to me, but I preferred them over the old Gamecube controls, and the auto-aim is nice and smooth.

capnjack

Jan 6, 2009
Keane Ng said:
In addition to saving shelf space by housing all three games on a single disc
Keane, what kind of self-respecting gamer would actually see that as a positive thing?

I'm just angry that Metroid Prime Pinball isn't included here.
Dude, you're just all sorts of confusing today. You're angry that a company is selling three games for the price of one instead of four?

MrPop said:
I enjoyed the trilogy on GC so it would be good for that. Although I just can't help but feeling that Nintendo is just pushing out another retired train for a bit of money and also to fill in the void of a lack of decent Wii games coming out in the future.
You really can't please some people... If Nintendo just wanted to cash in (I'm not saying they don't; they're a business after all) they would have released each game separately for a discounted price.

Internet Kraken said:
Cosndiering that I have all 3 games in my home, I can't see the justification for buying this.

I'm getting sick of Wii motion controls. Constantly holding up the gun to the screen and messing around with the motion bar to ensure proper movement detection is annoying.
YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.

No, seriously, there are old Japanese ladies who probably have an easier time playing Metroid than you do. You should feel ashamed, man.

Maybe if they actually add substantial content to the game I would consider buying it. It's the same problem I had with Pikmin Wii. I love Pikmin, but I already own the damn game and the requirements to play it are not a hassle at all. I bought Super Mario 64 on the virtual console because I didn't want to dig through a tangle of wires to connect my N64 to the TV. With Pikmin (and the Metroid Prime games), I can just pop the disk in.
Obviously it's not for you, then. It's for people who don't own the games. Three amazing games for the price of one, with highly-improved controls and better visuals. Fans are going to eat this up, as are people who already planned on buying Metroid Prime 3 but didn't buy it yet.

Ashbax said:
Those blobby things (aka METROIDS) are supposed to be a *****. Not every game is made for people who don't know how to play them.

And Metroid feels like Quake 3??? Um, yeah, maybe if you didn't play Metroid Prime for more than 5 minutes.