Tomb Raider Movies May Be Getting Reboot

Feb 13, 2008
Tomb Raider Movies May Be Getting Reboot

Franchise reboots seem to be "the new black" at the moment in Hollywood and in the vein of Batman Begins and Superman Returns, Lara Croft may soon get her own new beginning.

In an interview with About.com [http://video.about.com/movies/Dan-Lin-Interview.htm], producer Dan Lin let slip some interesting information about the possible reboot of the Tomb Raider film franchise.

Lin says that this next movie will be an origin story so viewers can find out more about who Lara is, and was. That means a much younger Lara. Gamepro [http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/210342/next-tomb-raider-movie-will-have-younger-lara-croft/] seem to think that means a lack of Angelina Jolie, who played Lara in the previous two Tomb Raider flicks, but Lin steered clear of officially denying her return.

While the "Angelina Croft" movies were passable as entertainment, they got routine panned [http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/lara_croft_tomb_raider/] for focusing primarily on the action without any character depth. That depth is what Lin hopes to bring back to Lara.

"It's definitely a tightrope. You want to honor the existing mythology but at the same time bring in new fans," he says.

As a big Tomb Raider fan, I hope they look into bringing someone new in. The celluloid Lara never had that air of vulnerability that made the character interesting. Angelina was far more Lara's doppleganger [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdshPu4GthE&feature=related] than the real deal.

(Image) [http://rogueink.deviantart.com/art/Lara-in-living-colour-103474931]

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Ur...Why? Tomb Raider doesn't even make that good of a plot...or interesting character...

At least Indiana Jones had Harrison Ford, Nazis and crazy shamans that ripped peoples hearts and put them on fire.

So unless they get rid of "Personality? I don't need no stinkin' personality" that is Lara Croft, this reboot won't be good. And we know how Holywood works so this wont be good. You heard it here first! The new Tomb Raider will be average/bad save you money folks!

grinklehi

Sep 10, 2008
Cute picture. Back OT: I never liked the Tomb Raider franchise, mostly because if they're not releasing a new game with only a minor gimmick (TR: Underworld, I'm looking at you) they're focusing too much on her physique. Besides, the Movies were only Mediocre, and I can't believe you just said that:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
As a big Tomb Raider fan,
Now I don't know what to think about you, seeing as, at least in this respect, we seem to be diametrically opposed.

Feb 13, 2008
Well, given Dan Lin was the guy in charge of Terminator Salvation, I'm holding out on this being at least a chance.

And holding up Temple Of Doom as Indiana's best effort doesn't do you any favors ;)

grinklehi said:
Now I don't know what to think about you, seeing as, at least in this respect, we seem to be diametrically opposed.
As long as you don't like Torchwood, we'll get along fine :)

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Angelina Croft
This may be because I'm slightly stupid, but when you said that I thought it was some kind of animated series, so I googled it, in retrospect I realize what it means. If however you do google it, stay clear of the first page (I didn't check after that) there's apparently a women going by the name of Angelina Croft, I will let you see what I mean...

SykoSilver

Sep 10, 2007
Forgive me, but I liked Jolie as Lara. I felt she had the right look. Perhaps the acting could have been better, but she's improved since then, hasn't she?

I just hope they're careful with the casting, or it might be spoiled for me. Lara has a very bodacious look. I heard they may choose Summer Glau, and while I love her and think she's very attractive, she's a different breed than Ms. Croft.

Before everyone gets the wrong idea that there's only one thing I'm interested in, I'll have you know I'm gaaaaaaay. I'm an artist and I hold authenticity in high regard.

grinklehi

Sep 10, 2008
Well, given Dan Lin was the guy in charge of Terminator Salvation, I'm holding out on this being at least a chance.

And holding up Temple Of Doom as Indiana's best effort doesn't do you any favors ;)

grinklehi said:
As long as you don't like Torchwood, we'll get along fine :)
The I guess we will get along Perfectly. I Hated Torchwood!!

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
oliveira8 said:
Ur...Why? Tomb Raider doesn't even make that good of a plot...or interesting character...

At least Indiana Jones had Harrison Ford, Nazis and crazy shamans that ripped peoples hearts and put them on fire.

So unless they get rid of "Personality? I don't need no stinkin' personality" that is Lara Croft, this reboot won't be good. And we know how Holywood works so this wont be good. You heard it here first! The new Tomb Raider will be average/bad save you money folks!
+1. Other movie sucked, new one will.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009

Hey that scene was awesome! I didn't say that the movie was good. :p

I could have listed more Indy cool stuff...and I will!

Sean Connery! face melting wrath of God, Hitler signing Indiana's father diary, a big Nazi guy getting all chopped up in a plane fans, deadly Holy Grail, the truck scene from Raiders, the tank scene from Last Crusader, Face melting wrath of God!, monkey brains, the first 10 minutes of Raiders with the whole boulder escape thing and of course...

Tomb Raider doesn't stand a chance!

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Right. Because apparently, big titties make for an awesome movie. Fuck You Hollywood and your lust for Cocaine Cash.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
cool, i havent seen the first one, but i enjoyed The Cradle of Life. it was pretty awesome.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
SykoSilver said:
Forgive me, but I liked Jolie as Lara. I felt she had the right look. Perhaps the acting could have been better, but she's improved since then, hasn't she?

I just hope they're careful with the casting, or it might be spoiled for me. Lara has a very bodacious look. I heard they may choose Summer Glau, and while I love her and think she's very attractive, she's a different breed than Ms. Croft.

Before everyone gets the wrong idea that there's only one thing I'm interested in, I'll have you know I'm gaaaaaaay. I'm an artist and I hold authenticity in high regard.
agreed. shes pretty good in her role. Angelinas looks are pretty good on her. and to all you people who think TR sucks, go watch Super Mario Bros by Uwe Bowel. only then will you feel the pain of a really bad game movie.

Saboonatic

May 20, 2009
Argh! the Tomb raider movies are only a few years old and pretty crap anyway! they neither need or deserve a reboot!

Feb 13, 2008
WanderFreak said:
Because rebooting video game franchises just works so well, isn't that right Chun-Li.
They managed to make a 6 foot Wolverine work, make a watchable Watchmen film and three reasonable Spidey films; if Dan Lin gets people on board who actually know their stuff, we could be in for a treat.

Fair enough that Hollywood aren't known for their intelligent but strong and flirtatious females, but it's been sometime since we had Lieutenant Ellen Ripley that I think it could happen. Look at Charlise Theron in Monster, there's proof it can be done.

Feb 13, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Torchwood had its moments, although someone got theretarded idea to try and bill it in Australia as an American crime series, like a Noirier Law and Order. I especially like the episoder with the cannibal village.
It also had a piggyback of a season of adverts from Who, some of the dullest/ugliest characters around, ridiculous plotholes, juvenile ideas on maturity, managing to make even guns look stupid (count how many times a gun is drawn but never used), a plot that regularly opposed the point of the series and is almost as laughable as Bonekickers. (Try and get to see that one; you'll be in tears)
Though it did have the Small Worlds episode, which was almost worthy of Who.