Majora's Mosquito

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Majora's Mosquito

Tom embarks on an uncomfortable weekend of mosquito bites and strange masks and loves every minute of it.

Read Full Article

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Wonderful article with a very appropriate conclusion. I know I for one am part of the problem. I just can't afford to take risks with games I purchase. So while I've long been wanting to try a Katamari game or such, whenever I can afford to splurge a little with my budget, I usually go for the franchises or developers I'm rarely disappointed with.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Personally, I enjoyed Majora's Mask. Eh, maybe it's a "my opinion" thing because a lot of people didn't care for it when stacked up against the preceeding game and the game to whom this is the predecessor, Wind Waker and Ocarina Of Time respectively.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
I haven't bought a game without knowing anything about it in such a long time. Maybe I should change that.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
I loved Majora's Mask! For me it's a close contender with OoT. The whole game feels like a giant puzzle, everything you do is a puzzle element to the greater problem, and I loved the experience.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
[sarcasm]Mister Misquito is clearly the greatest game ever. How dare you not praise it highly and lay many awards upon it! It's weird and eccentric![/sarcasm]

Having actually owned MM, I must say the the bathtub level was disturbing on so many levels.

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
The funny thing is that only female mosquitos drink blood. So is Mr. Mosquito transgender?

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
An interesting read. Majora's Mask is a very interesting study in game design, but it sounds like a chore to actually play it. And Mr. Mosquito just sounds... strange, and not really very appealing in any way =/

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Majoras Mask remains one of my 5 favourite games of all time to this day. I too am not sure what its target audience was, but I'm sure I was a part of it.
Ditto.

I love the dark appeal that the game had in relation to the other Zelda games. There wasn't a single zone where you weren't dealing with pain, misery, and death in some manner. From the petrified Deku during the opening, to Darmani's lamenting and the Zora-dude's children he left behind, it deals with some pretty serious subject matter. Culminating, of course, with the actual question; was the Skull Kid really evil, or was he just a tool of the Mask?

Shy_Guy

Apr 13, 2009
Flying-Emu said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Majoras Mask remains one of my 5 favourite games of all time to this day. I too am not sure what its target audience was, but I'm sure I was a part of it.
Ditto.

I love the dark appeal that the game had in relation to the other Zelda games. There wasn't a single zone where you weren't dealing with pain, misery, and death in some manner. From the petrified Deku during the opening, to Darmani's lamenting and the Zora-dude's children he left behind, it deals with some pretty serious subject matter. Culminating, of course, with the actual question; was the Skull Kid really evil, or was he just a tool of the Mask?
I too loved it for being so dark and yet not being so black and white about things.

It was the first game to really get emotions from me. The giants and their song almost brought tears to my eyes. There was some infinite sadness there that no other game has made me feel.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
This. I loved it. It was excellently made. Probably my favorite Zelda game to date.

AroLombardi

Apr 16, 2009
Shy_Guy said:
Flying-Emu said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Ditto.

I too loved it for being so dark and yet not being so black and white about things.

It was the first game to really get emotions from me. The giants and their song almost brought tears to my eyes. There was some infinite sadness there that no other game has made me feel.
Agreed. The thought in all the songs shows such emotion that one could never expect in a 64 game. And for me, the song of healing calmed my nerves at any time..... ah, beautiful....

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
A LttP remains my favorite Zelda game, however Majora's Mask is a close second. The game is not terribly complicated once you understand that you're resetting everything in the world on a time limit. Once you understand how it works, you just can't help but come to love the game.

The Mister Mosquito review is right on the money, though as a person who understands the attraction of the voyeur, I found the level where you basically attack and exploit the teenage girl's friend to be far more suggestive than the bath tub. Warning though: This game contains scenes of extreme itchiness.

ReSpawn

Feb 24, 2009
I'm sorry, what?

Majora's Mask is complex and wonderful, but not complicated. Certainly not in a convoluted or counter intuitive sense.

I'm not entirely sure what he's trying to say.

Feb 18, 2009
I´ll have to join the Majora´s Mask praising choir. It was hard as hell to get into, but when I did, it really sucked me in like a... Anyway, I first gave it shot back in the day it was still fresh, and I hated it. The frustrating jumping back and forth in time and constant hurry (Three days, three days, three days...) soon made me drop the whole thing and move on. Several years passed, I gave it another shot, and it instantly became one of my all-time favourites.

The game does require a whole new way of approach to get into. It´s much more chaotic then Ocarina of Time, and deviates from the main saga so much (No Hyrule, No Ganondorf) it doesn´t come as a surprise, if the mainstream finds it too tough to swallow. It´s a hard nut to crack. Still, it´s great, fantastic even. I especially enjoyed how those little side-stories gradually added more colour and depth into the game world.

So, to sum it up: I liked this article. Great job! Maybe I should give Mr. Mosquito a shot too.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Incredible Bullshitting Man said:
I´ll have to join the Majora´s Mask praising choir. It was hard as hell to get into, but when I did, it really sucked me in like a... Anyway, I first gave it shot back in the day it was still fresh, and I hated it. The frustrating jumping back and forth in time and constant hurry (Three days, three days, three days...) soon made me drop the whole thing and move on. Several years passed, I gave it another shot, and it instantly became one of my all-time favourites.

The game does require a whole new way of approach to get into. It´s much more chaotic then Ocarina of Time, and deviates from the main saga so much (No Hyruke, No Ganondorf) it doesn´t come as a surprise, if the mainstream finds it too tough to swallow. It´s a hard nut to crack. Still, it´s great, fantastic even. I especially enjoyed how those little side-stories gradually added more colour and depth into the game world.

So, to sum it up: I liked this article. Great job! Maybe I should give Mr. Mosquito a shot too.
Agreed, I did the same thing. I played the game for about 2-3 weeks back when it first came out. Got a bunch of masks, but never figured out how to actually beat the game. Years later, I went back to it, and I would always get up to the deku part and give up again. It really is a fantastic game. I just don't have the time to spend on it sadly enough.

Feb 18, 2009
Mr.Pandah said:
Agreed, I did the same thing. I played the game for about 2-3 weeks back when it first came out. Got a bunch of masks, but never figured out how to actually beat the game. Years later, I went back to it, and I would always get up to the deku part and give up again. It really is a fantastic game. I just don't have the time to spend on it sadly enough.
Hopefully you´ll find the time somehow. Majora´s Mask has some pretty tough spots (including few nerve-shattering boss battles), but it does give you enough hints as to what to do next. If all else fails, use some free exploration and just wander around. The game really requires a lot of time, which is kinda ironic, considering how little time you actually have to do anything. After I cleared the Woodfall Temple for the first time, I had two whole seconds to spare.

I haven´t beaten the game myself yet (Got a little stuck with the Mask), but I have found all the masks, except for one. It was fun searching for them, especially the Couple´s Mask.

Damn, now I want to play it again.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Those of you who have played Majora's Mask: when you achieve things (complete a temple or whatever), is there any permenance? Or when you rewind time, does it reset everything, and the key is to just get it all down pat so you can do it quickly enough for the 3 day limit? If the latter, that sounds incredibly frustrating.

Feb 18, 2009
ThaBenMan said:
Those of you who have played Majora's Mask: when you achieve things (complete a temple or whatever), is there any permenance? Or when you rewind time, does it reset everything, and the key is to just get it all down pat so you can do it quickly enough for the 3 day limit? If the latter, that sounds incredibly frustrating.
You get to keep all the important things, like masks, items, hearts, but lose everything expendable (arrows, rupees (you can, however, give them to a guy in Termina for safekeeping and withdraw them later), bombs.) So yes, there is permanence. It´s really not as frustrating game as one might think.