First Just Cause 2 Trailer Is Just Ridiculous

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
First Just Cause 2 Trailer Is Just Ridiculous

Avalanche Studios has released the first trailer for its upcoming open-world sequel Just Cause 2, and if you thought the first game was over-the-top ridiculous, you haven't seen anything yet.

The number of things you can do with a parachute are limited, but a parachute and a grappling hook? That's a whole other story, as the trailer for Avalanche's Just Cause 2 makes abundantly clear. In this sequel to the 2006 open-world action game, protagonist Rico Rodriguez, who could jump off cars, boats, and planes with his chute and hook in the first game, has expanded his repertoire of nonsensical action hero abilities.

As you can see from the above, Rico can now do things like: grapple onto a helicopter firing its chain gun at him without getting hit, grapple onto people to drag them airborne so they can be shot at, grapple them and attach the hook to a motorcycle so he can ride with a live body in tow, and, last but not least, skydive and then grapple onto a moving jet and then leap off that jet and fire a rocket launcher while floating safely in mid-air.

The story seems completely brainless and the action is absolutely ludicrous, but both of those things are probably the point. Fans of the first game or sandbox titles that don't take themselves seriously like Mercenaries or Saints Row might want to keep this one on their radar for 2010. Anyone else may as well too. Why? Just 'cause.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Just Cause 1 was awesome. This promises to be even more-so. Also, embedding appears to be disabled for that video.

The varied setting are cool, too.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
Well, im glad Rico got rid of the Skinny-Pimp look and actually got a decent pair of clothes, and a grappling hook that doesnt look like a sawn-off DP33.

other than that, Im gonna get this. I loved the large enviroment, breathtaking skydives from thousand of feet, vehicles, the grappling hook, and Well, generally just playing an awesome game. Combat wasnt too shabby - but I really hoped they improve it here, becuase it really brought down the gameplay.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Wow, i'm surprised that theres other people who liked the first other than me :D Looks cool.

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
I loved the first Just Cause just because of the sheer stupid awesomeness of it, I look forward to this improved sequel.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
hmm, I never even heard of the first one, maybe I'll rent the second one for a weekend grind.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
1:16-1:24. Even if that was all the trailer consisted of, I'd be extremely happy. Looks like a whole lot of fun.

Also, yes, no embedding for this video.

The Iron Ninja

Aug 13, 2008
Keane Ng said:
The Video
Might just be me for some odd reason, but the video said "embedding disabled by request"

Edit: Ah, you're already on it

I loved the original, actually I still love it.
As long as they make the playing area as large as the original I'll be happy, but it looks set to be all that and more.
Then again, Mercenaries 2 looked like it was going to be good before it came out...

VZLANemesis

Jan 29, 2009
lol worst pun ever? XD
Looks pretty cool, I would be more than willing to give it a try. Looks like a cooler Bionic Commando.