Death to E3!

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Death to E3!

If the industry did away with E3 entirely, everyone would be much better off.

Read Full Article

Barry93

Mar 5, 2009
My main problem with E3 is that there are a lot of bad games that get overhyped that makes people like me go out and buy them.

loremazd

Dec 20, 2008
Honestly I think it's all in good fun, and there are simply so many alternatives as far as advertising goes that I really don't think smaller developers miss out on much. It's more a geek fair than anything substantial, and an opportunity for developers to show off a bit and brag over what they've done.

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
Yeah makes sense, E3 means almost no good summer titles coming out and we have to wait about 5 or 6 months until the big names that were mentioned at E3 are released. Sure it's a fun time but it just causes delay and yeah some titles I'm waiting for have been announced but I probably would have heard about them here albeit later. Then again that means I am not anxiously waiting for it for about a year in some occasions.
And the article was pretty funny and the election metaphor was right on the money.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Barry93 said:
My main problem with E3 is that there are a lot of bad games that get overhyped that makes people like me go out and buy them.
"Bad" is subjective opinion... so games you might not like may be hyped up - that doesn't make them bad games it just means they arn't your style.

An intresting article, but I for one simply love the mass chaos of E3 - just suddenly hearing all this amazing infomation at once is fantastic.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Sure it's always been kind of a circle jerk but I too have always been torn between appreciating the spectacle and wondering what they could do if they spend that money on R&D.

Barry93

Mar 5, 2009
D_987 said:
Barry93 said:
"Bad" is subjective opinion... so games you might not like may be hyped up - that doesn't make them bad games it just means they arn't your style.
Ok, by "bad" I mean really buggy, unfinished games. Mercs 2 got a lot of hype last year but turned out to have hundreds of bugs. I don't beleive anyone actually liked this game in the slightest.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
I think that E3 is something to keep. Sure, it can steal news that would be released in adjacent months, but it's just... magical somehow. Even to us poor losers who couldn't go, E3 is a shining beacon that screams fun AND news at the same time. Just watching the press conferences gave me a distinct buzz, as most frequenters of the Gaming Discussion section know already.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Barry93 said:
D_987 said:
Barry93 said:
Ok, by "bad" I mean really buggy, unfinished games. Mercs 2 got a lot of hype last year but turned out to have hundreds of bugs. I don't beleive anyone actually liked this game in the slightest.
I know people that liked the game; sure it had some bugs, but what do you expect in a large open-world game?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Aha, Shamus, you are repeating yourself! First "Death to Good Graphics!" and now "Death to E3!"? What's next, "Death to Butter Tea!"? O-ho-ho-ho!

Personally I always love watching E3 and finding out the breaking news and such. It's not just a big advertisement thing, it's a place where gamers from everywhere can come together and play the latest games that they're interested in. Someday I'll finally be able to go to E3 and I'd be playing the demos all day long.

Barry93

Mar 5, 2009
D_987 said:
Barry93 said:
D_987 said:
Barry93 said:
I know people that liked the game; sure it had some bugs, but what do you expect in a large open-world game?
I expect HVT's not to kill themselves when you want to subdue and capture them. I also don't like it when my Apache Longbow gets sucked into a different dimmension (disapears before your eyes).

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
Barry93 said:
There are these things called reviews and also these better things called player reviews you should check them out

Barry93

Mar 5, 2009
UNKNOWNINCOGNITO said:
Barry93 said:
There are these things called reviews and also these better things called player reviews you should check them out
Wow, I didn't realize that all the games at E3 were already released and people had already written hundreds of reviews for them. No, I won't read them anyway because people give their opinions and often critique graphics, plot, and other things I don't care about in a game. After all, I'm part of the .01% of gamers that hated CoD4 regardless of how many 25 kill streaks i got. That game was given the GOTY title by millions of people. That's why I don't read or care for reviews anymore because I got the game based on everyone's opinion.

SatansBestBuddy

Sep 7, 2007
E3 is awesome, I have no idea what you're complaining about.

See, it's all about the hype; show one reporter one game at one show, and he'll examine it in detail, run through the checklist questions, and bring his opinons back to his website saying the game is good. Show ten reporters ten games at one show, when you're surrounded by dozens of other devlopers showing off their games at the same time, and you've got hype for one game building on top of hype for two, for three, for ten, then these oversimulated reporters go back and you can feel the excitment coming from them as they write about how awesome all these games are.

Informantion overload works wonders for creating hype; hype for one game rubs off onto another, and another, and so on.

The fact that there's beer and babes doesn't hurt, either.

kanester2k11

Jan 29, 2009
i think e3 is good its nice to get positive press about gaming before i saw e3 on the news the last story was about a boy killing his friend and then blaming it on halo

it makes a change

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
How do you make a small fortune from E3? You start with a big one.

There is some success at E3; people will read about it and they're going to pay attention to at least one product that they didn't know about. You're right that there will be a lot of losers, but there are some winners as well. It all depends on if you can elbow everyone else out of the way to get the consumers to look your way.

shMerker

Oct 24, 2007
Jumplion said:
Personally I always love watching E3 and finding out the breaking news and such. It's not just a big advertisement thing, it's a place where gamers from everywhere can come together and play the latest games that they're interested in. Someday I'll finally be able to go to E3 and I'd be playing the demos all day long.
That's PAX you're thinking of. E3 is press and industry only. Most of us gamers just hear about it.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
I agree. E3 is a big waste of everyone's time. What exact value comes from all the hype and imaginary non-products they show every year? Nothing, that's what. E3 demos are a joke in the industry; sort of a public fish story contest where they compete to see who can tell the biggest lies. Good riddance I say.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
At least gaming actually gets paid some attention and treated as a legitimate hobby at E3, as opposed to the rest of the time, when it becomes a blame figure for poor parents. Even if E3 is nothing but pointless hype and self-congratulation, it's still worth having. Once gaming becomes even more popular and culturally accepted, then we can worry about replacing it with a better version of the same idea.

It's not like there's never any pre or post-E3 news. What about the post-E3 news of the new Zelda? Small game devs aren't hurt in any way by E3 that I can see. If they can't afford to go, they shouldn't. If they have a history of making fun games (even freeware), their rep will still insure that people will pay attention to the games they're making. The Behemoth has only made two commercially-released games, but there are still tons of people waiting to see what they'll make next. It doesn't matter whether they go to E3 or not-any game made by them will get some attention, and they can always release any news they want to the press.

Perhaps I'm not understanding what about E3 makes it bad. Even if it's a flawed system, it's far better than nothing. Games get overhyped all the time, with or without E3.