Valve Doesn't See Microsoft as Big, Bad and Evil

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Valve Doesn't See Microsoft as Big, Bad and Evil

Software giant Microsoft may control a huge portion of the consumer market, but they aren't "big, bad and evil." Or at least Valve doesn't think so.

Whether you're thrilled over the upcoming Left 4 Dead 2 or one of the many throwing a hissy fit [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92174-Valve-Fans-Form-Left-4-Dead-2-Boycott-Group], one thing's for sure - you probably have either a gaming PC or an Xbox 360 to play the game on. If you're a PS3 owner, unfortunately, you're left out in the bleak, zombie-less cold.

Had the Valve team ever considered porting Left 4 Dead 2 to the PS3? "If it crossed someone's mind it wasn't the focus," writer Chet Faliszek told Videogamer [http://www.videogamer.com/news/valve_we_don_and_rsquo_t_see_big_bad_and_evil_side_of_microsoft.html] at last week's E3. "The focus was 360 and PC. A) it's what we develop on. B) it's the platform we think lends itself to the interaction of our game the best."

Maybe it has something to do with Gabe Newell thinking the PS3 is a waste of time [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/77826-Gabe-Newell-Calls-PlayStation-3-A-Waste-of-Time], but Faliszek says that no, the team at Valve simply has a fairly close relationship with their colleagues in Redmond - in fact, as Faliszek describes it, many of Microsoft's marketing staff are hardcore L4D players.

"Microsoft didn't know about L4D at first," explained Faliszek. "Then they saw it last year and they just started coming to our offices to play. I think it had little to do with actual work, they just wanted to play. And actually we had them out to come take a look at L4D2 before the announcement and everything. Talking with those guys, their marketing guys, they're like, oh we play every Friday. And they do. They're hardcore players. They all knew how to play. I didn't have to give them any instruction. I thought we'd have to put it on easy for you guys. Let me tell you, you guys are good."

In fact, Faliszek thinks that Microsoft has a scary reputation that isn't wholly deserved. "This is a really good relationship and they're really supportive, they've been really helpful, super great. I know they're supposed to be big, bad and evil but that's not the side we see of them."

Unfortunately, that means bad news for gamers whose only platform is Sony's PS3. When asked if he thought that Left 4 Dead (or its sequel) would ever appear on a Sony console, Faliszek was ambivalent at best. "Right now it's PC and 360. That's definitely what we're going to do. It's just the platform that lends itself to it. And Xbox LIVE just makes it an easy thing to do."

On the other hand, the PS3 will be getting The Last Guardian. So maybe that makes up for it. Less zombies in New Orleans, more fantastic adventures with a fairly foreseeable ending [http://penny-arcade.com/images/2009/20090608.jpg]. Your choice.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
I'll go with cop-op Zombie murder fest. I really don't want to play NeverEnding Story...*cough*

But anyway this statement will just fuel the L4D2 boycotts to say "Valve sold their souls to M$!!!"

yankeefan19

Mar 20, 2009
I hate how people are pissed because of a game of all things. There are so many worse things to be pissed off at and they choose a FUCKING VIDEO GAME!

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
yankeefan19 said:
I hate how people are pissed because of a game of all things. There are so many worse things to be pissed off at and they choose a FUCKING VIDEO GAME!
It's not just a videogame. It's a training tool for the Zombie Apocalypse.

PhantomCritic

May 9, 2009
Personally I'm not affected because my family is soon to get a pretty good gaming pc and i have a ps3 so...BRING ON THE ZOMBIES!!!

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Valve, you just became my favourite developers.

(I still love you Bethy!)

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Psychosocial said:
oliveira8 said:
I'll go with cop-op Zombie murder fest. I really don't want to play Never Ending Story...*cough*

But anyway this statement will just fuel the L4D2 boycotts to say "Valve sold their souls to M$!!!"
My god, now you made me think of how an official game based on The Neverending Story would be, which is not in any way a good thing..
NeverdEnding Stoooryyyy la la la la la la la la NeverEnding Stoooooryyyy!

Arassar

Nov 25, 2008
Let's see: Microsoft releases a broken product for way too much money, doesn't support it, then a short time later releases a new product that works the way the first product should have and expects you to buy it again. Valve releases an incredibly brief game, doesn't support it, then a short time later releas... WAIT A MINUTE!

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
hmm i think it would be costly to convert the game across so think wont be a worth while investment there a company at the end of the day

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Eh, I've pretty much gotten over Gabe's assholery dick-shove pimp slap whatever, meanyness to PS3 owners. I'd assume VALVe's relationship with Microsoft is akin to most of Sony's 2nd party developers working with Sony a lot.

One thing I will hold against them (mainly Newell, once again) is that they (or he) said "If L4D sells well, we might consider porting it to PS3." HeeeellllllllOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooo!! They're fucking VALVe for Christ's sake! Of fucking COURSE it'll sell well!! Don't give us false hope, just say "no, we're not developing it for PS3."

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Psychosocial said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
yankeefan19 said:
We already have a book for that. Two if you're gonna be picky, one preparing you and one explaining what a typical scenario would look like.
Zombie Survival Guide I understand. But I thought World War Z was a historical document detailing the 10-year Zombie War, not a typical scenario.

Zarthek

Apr 12, 2009
All companies are evil to some degree's, just some are less evil than others. Sony and Microsoft are probably 2 of the worst, each slowly raising a fan-boy army to kill the other side.
On a more serious note I don't have any faith in Valve til' they actually announce half-life 2: Episode 3 (if they make it 360 only then damn it i'll finally buy a 360), I was raised to have no faith in Microsoft (my dad is a big hater, he blames it all on the Windows operating system, which i find to work well but still have its flaws... like almost everything). I've played a 360 and enjoyed it... til' the rings shut down my friends, then i had to listen to everyone whine because they clearly didn't see it coming. And sony makes some fairly bad choices towards console development, but I still am ok with their consoles... minus the price on the PS3.
No trolling intended.

Is it just me or is the last sentence or 2 promoting the Xbox and shooting the PS3 in the foot?

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Zarthek said:
All companies are evil to some degree's, just some are less evil than others. Sony and Microsoft are probably 2 of the worst, each slowly raising a fan-boy army to kill the other side.
The difference is that Sony can only raise a human being fanboy army and Microsoft Killer Robot Machines like Terminator. ^^

Sindre1

Nov 8, 2008
Psychosocial said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
yankeefan19 said:
We already have a book for that. Two if you're gonna be picky, one preparing you and one explaining what a typical scenario would look like.
Also a training video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnNIs4YKtZM

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
File under "No Duh"

I think Valve's feelings towards MS and Sony have been pretty transparent, haven't they. Isn't that Newman guy from there: pops up every few months to foam at the mouth about Sony? As far as I can tell they're just not as transparent about how well their bread is being buttered on the MS side.

That said.
L4D2 looks cool and I might actually get that one but if they continue to be petty pricks, I'll just buy it used.

belgariontheking

Jun 9, 2009
I'm wondering why anyone in the world cares about PS3 owners. If they hit two systems, they're bound to leave out two. Wii is the first logical choice to hit the chopping block. After that, you look at them and you say "hey, developing for the xbox and the PC has a pretty low marginal cost to a high marginal benefit. Let's do that."

Fenixhart

Mar 26, 2009
Microsoft may be big and might be inept at product support. But Evil?

Sounds like some people confuse "Evil" with being a business.