Take-Two Alleges Offshore Banking Shenanigans at 3D Realms

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Take-Two Alleges Offshore Banking Shenanigans at 3D Realms

3D Realms [http://www.take2games.com/] of having "substantial" amounts of money stashed in an offshore account, presumably to keep it hidden and immune from any consequences arising from the studio's failure to deliver Duke Nukem Forever.

In documents originally filed in mid-May, Take-Two revealed that it had asked Xbox 360 [http://www.apogeesoftware.com/] version of Duke Nukem Forever. Apogee would only agree to do so, however, if Take-Two agreed to "fully fund Apogee's reaching certain milestone," which in the light of more than a decade of delays in the PC version the publisher was hesitant to do. It offered to fund half the costs of concurrent development of the PC and Xbox 360 versions of the game up to the "Alpha Milestone" of the PC version, and then fund the rest of the game development once it was completed.

Despite being contractually obligated to complete and deliver Duke Nukem Forever on the PC anyway, Apogee declined the deal. Take-Two claims in the lawsuit that its subsequent decision to develop the game independently has been stymied by the refusal of 3D Realms to hand over the source code and other materials relevant to the game.

Further, Take-Two said it is concerned that former members of the DNF development team, angered by their surprise dismissal, may leak proprietary information about the game "in an effort to obtain recognition for years of prior work on the DNF project, to improperly sell the information to a third party and/or to retaliate against Apogee," which could potentially harm Take-Two's exclusive rights to "publish, exploit and control the DNF brand." The suit specifically cites the case of Tramell Isaac, formerly the art director on the project, who posted unreleased DNF renders [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91584-Unreleased-Duke-Nuke-Forever-Renders-Posted] on his personal blog.

But the most interesting claim in the lawsuit is this: "Notwithstanding Apogee's consistent assurances that it would soon complete development of DNF, on May 6, 2009, Apogee closed its studios, terminated development of DNF and laid off all employees who had been involved in the DNF project. Upon information and belief, Apogee has title to a substantial amount of funds deposited in an off-shore account, which Take-Two believes Apogee can use to fund its outstanding obligations." [Emphasis mine.]

A year ago, the suggestion that Apogee was stashing Duke Nukem Forever development money in an offshore bank account could have been the punchline for any of a number of webcomics. Today, it doesn't seem so far-fetched. It'll be a shame if this is settled out of court, even though it most likely will be; I'd love to know if Take-Two's allegations are correct, and if so, just how much money Apogee has socked away over the years.

One other interesting point: In spite of the drama, it doesn't sound like Take-Two is quite ready to walk away from Duke Nukem Forever just yet: The publisher is seeking an injunction that "compels Apogee to reasonably cooperate in good faith with Take-Two in the development of the console versions of DNF." A full copy of Take-Two's complaint is available at FileShack [http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/14603/Duke+Nukem+Forever+Take-Two+vs.+Apogee+Software+Summons+and+Complaint]. (PDF format)

Source: Shacknews [http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/59148]

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Wow what madness. I think Yahtzee said it best when he said any competent developer could have crapped it out in a weekend. Isn't Take Two bound to lose even more money by not finding a competent developer to get this freaking game out there while dealing with being ripped off?

Lucas Auraelius

WARNING: Cartoon Violence
Feb 25, 2009
I'd expect this kind of fiduciary irresponsibility from a bank (topical humor!), but a game studio? That had its own existence at stake with this game?

I swear, if there is justice in this univerese, each 3D Realms employee should be forced to finish the game by himself or herself in a 10x10 cell and not be allowed to come out until the game is ****ing done.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
This might be the craziest videogame production story ever. Duke Nukem Forever is the gaming industry's Apocalypse Now, Fitzcarraldo or The Man Who Killed Don Quixote. Although it's beginning to look a little bit more like The Smartest Guys in the Room with this off-shore thing (which has to be totally illegal, right? Companies can't just push money off the books like that, correct?). All we need now is a love-triangle and maybe a murder, and it should be set.

DRADIS C0ntact

Mar 26, 2009
HobbesMkii said:
Although it's beginning to look a little bit more like The Smartest Guys in the Room with this off-shore thing (which has to be totally illegal, right? Companies can't just push money off the books like that, correct?). All we need now is a love-triangle and maybe a murder, and it should be set.
Sounds like a summer blockbuster movie to me :)

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
GuNsLiNgEr X said:
And? Anything relating to DNF stopped being relevant and attention-worthy about eight years ago.
Did you even read the story or are you just trying to be preemptively cool?

RheynbowDash

Jan 26, 2009
Apogee just needs to give up the f***ing source code so a REAL developer can make this game. If they are gonna be idiots about it, hand it over to someone thats gonna do something with it.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
pheeeewww the gloves are finally off. Personally, if I was running the business, I would have been fuming at the thought that all this money had vanished because of some two-bit goons whose game was only popular because they had strippers in it.

snuffler

Jun 4, 2008
Yeah I'm not gunna lie if Take-Two is worried about screenshots / software being released by 3d realms ex-employees they shouldn't be too nervous at all. Judging by the stuff that Tramell Isaac posted, all of it is made for a ridiculously outdated game engine anyway. Like...seriously...terribad. Any half decent 3d modeller with some software can produce better stuff than that. If Take-Two owns the rights to it (? haven't really followed that closely to the DNF story) they should drop on by some mod development forums and pick up some modders-by-hobby to do their dirty work. Probably fairly cheap/easy to set up a team.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
You know what? I think the story behind DNF deserves some sort of documentary. I mean, geez. This tale is a epic one... and it's still going.

Bobkat1252

The Psychotic Psyker
Mar 18, 2008
Glad to see someone's taking Apogee to task for their monumental failure. Let's hope Take-Two teaches these guys a lesson.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
See, now, Apogee were the publisher for the first 5 Commander Keen games. Let's see any of you justify piracy better than THAT. I hope whatever rights still exist in their hands to those games filter back to id and id makes more.

Oh, right, everyone was talking about DNF, my bad.

Offshore banking = not cool.

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
Either Take-Two actually seen the code and seen parts of the game in action to be convinced that this game can be made or they are just trying to save face.

I believe that 3D Realms just figured out that they would rather waste the money on themselves than on a nonexistent game.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
HobbesMkii said:
This might be the craziest videogame production story ever. Duke Nukem Forever is the gaming industry's Apocalypse Now, Fitzcarraldo or The Man Who Killed Don Quixote. Although it's beginning to look a little bit more like The Smartest Guys in the Room with this off-shore thing (which has to be totally illegal, right? Companies can't just push money off the books like that, correct?). All we need now is a love-triangle and maybe a murder, and it should be set.
I was more thinking along the lines of Watergate....

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
Those fuckers!... If it would've been Activision, or some other douche-bags, that they ripped off I would've laughed... But Take-Two! The company that brought us GTA, Civ, Bioshock, Max Payne, Mafia and Midnight Club... Seriously! The only producer in the industry who can take some risks...

FUCK YOU 3D REALMS!!!!

I hope they lose the case!

Also, sorry for caps and bad language, but it was necessary.