Metroid Creator Is For a Prime Sequel

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Metroid Creator Is For a Prime Sequel

Metroid overseer Yoshio Sakamoto has nothing against Retro Studios making a sequel to the Metroid Prime series - he said that he'd "encourage" them to develop a new idea for the series.

Just because Nintendo has teamed up with Team Ninja to make the still mysterious Metroid: Other M doesn't mean that the company has forgotten about their previous partners when it comes to all things Samus. Reggie Fils-Aime may say that Other M is the direction [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92351-Metroid-Other-M-Is-a-Traditional-Metroid] that Nintendo wants to take Metroid in for now, but Samus' creator himself is open to the possibility of other things.

"With regards to the Prime series, if the team at Retro comes up with an idea that does bring a sequel to the series to fruition, I by all means encourage them to do that," Metroid creator Yoshio Sakamoto said. "But I'm not directly involved with the Prime games. In terms of the Metroid series stories that I've told, the games that I've been involved in, I started with the NES Metroid and took it through Fusion."

So don't count the Prime series as dead and done, just expect the franchise to steer in another direction for the near future. And that direction, according to Sakamoto, will find Nintendo digging deeper into Samus' story and character. Other M, he says, isn't some sort of spin-off storywise but takes place in the Metroid timeline proper, filling in the narrative gap between Super Metroid and the GBA's Metroid Fusion.

"One of my goals is to present Samus as an appealing human character, and that involves explaining a little bit about what happened in her past as well as the characters that influenced her," Sakamoto said. "The story will play a big part."

But will it reveal Samus' workout routine? Because I really want to know her fitness secrets.

[Via Game|Life [http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/06/metroid-interview/]]

gmer412

Feb 21, 2008
Psychosocial said:
I consider Metroid Prime 3: Corruption to be one of the best FPS' to ever have been made, so I'm all for more of them!
I second the motion. Also: "Other M, he says, isn't some sort of spin-off storywise but takes place in the Metroid timeline proper, filling in the narrative gap between Super Metroid and the GBA's Metroid Fusion." I knew it!

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption currently holds the title of best game ever made ever, Retro just kept getting better so another game from them would be marvelous.

I am kinda nervous about team ninja what with them being the makers of Ninja Gaiden, (Is it Gay-den or guy-den?) a game about carving everything you see a new one and Dead or alive a game about scantily clad women beating each other up. I don't want to sit through a scene where Samus carves up a million people while in her underwear. Metroid is about subtlety pacing and exploration, things I am not sure team ninja gets, it is basically akin to being a rat in a maze with electrified fences instead of walls and several cats in certain parts of said maze.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
Psychosocial said:
I consider Metroid Prime 3: Corruption to be one of the best FPS' to ever have been made, so I'm all for more of them!
Maybe not the best but still awesome non the less.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
Psychosocial said:
War Penguin said:
Psychosocial said:
One of the best.

I didn't say it was THE best, only one of the best.
Okay. Misread. Agreed. One of Nintedo's best.

bowserboy26578

Oct 23, 2008
I don't think you should be going to team ninja to create an 'appealling human character' unless by appealing you mean it has huge tits. I don't trust the idea. If samus isn't running down a 2-d corridor or looking out of her own eyes in a masive fight against a masive worm beast, I don't trust it. Metroid was made to be an FPS not a freaking NInja Gaiden clone with guns!

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
All I can say is that I hope Other M has lots of exploration. Metroid has always been about exploration of places punctuated by action instead of an action games that you wander around in. If they can keep a good balance, the game should be good. Also, it will be nice to see what is going on with Samus's past, as all we have seen previously are screenshots from the end of the GBA games.

Keane Ng said:
But will it reveal Samus' workout routine? Because I really want to know her fitness secrets.
Spend your entire childhood training to become an elite warrior, then become a bounty hunter that will explore the depths of unknown planets all by yourself.

That tends to work up a sweat.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
Psychosocial said:
War Penguin said:
Psychosocial said:
War Penguin said:
Psychosocial said:
One of the best.

I didn't say it was THE best, only one of the best.
Okay. Misread. Agreed. One of Nintedo's best.
That I can agree with!

It's up there next to Kid Icarus and Punch-Out!! IMO.
What about Zelda?

FinalGamer

Mar 8, 2009
Have to bear in mind Gunpei Yokoi created Metroid and Samus originally, though I guess Yoshio has taken over the project.
I hope the main musician of the series since Super Metroid will still do the music. He has the same sort of credibility to the series in the way Akira Yamaoka has to Silent Hill, as in they're one of the few people to truly understand the series and its characters.

zenmekir

May 21, 2009
I may have to rethink that whole not bothering with the Wii thing one of these days; but I can say I thoroughly enjoyed the Prime series minus the fact of not having the full experience of 3.

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
In my opinion the last hope for a hardcore gamer Nintendo fan is Metroid so to hear two of them could be soon means hope may not be lost

then i remembered about the vitality sensor, so much for the hope...

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
I think Metroid Prime is one of the best contributions to the FPS genre. But 3 wasn't as good as I thought it would be, so I hope they will make it better this time. However, Other M sounds like a game with potential. Let's just hope they don't screw it up.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
bowserboy26578 said:
I don't think you should be going to team ninja to create an 'appealling human character' unless by appealing you mean it has huge tits. I don't trust the idea. If samus isn't running down a 2-d corridor or looking out of her own eyes in a masive fight against a masive worm beast, I don't trust it. Metroid was made to be an FPS not a freaking NInja Gaiden clone with guns!
Methinks Team Ninja are doing the gameplay, while Nintendo's doing the story.
And despite their typical reluctance to (see: Mario, Kirby) they CAN tell a good story.

chozoone19

Feb 12, 2009
Oh yeah, Im all for something new to the Prime series. Sure Corruption wrapped everything up rather nicely, but I still think that they could do so much more with it. And the hidden ending of Corruption made me want there to be something else. So to Retro if you do happen to make another Metroid game, more power to you.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
chozoone19 said:
Oh yeah, Im all for something new to the Prime series. Sure Corruption wrapped everything up rather nicely, but I still think that they could do so much more with it. And the hidden ending of Corruption made me want there to be something else. So to Retro if you do happen to make another Metroid game, more power to you.
Corruption wrapped up everything as far as events pre-Super Metroid, there's still a lot of stuff after Super Metroid to consider (and after Metroid Fusion even, given the way that game ended).

Although it's not very deep, there is a certain charm to the story and mythos of the Metroid series that, when it is explored, comes out very nice.

chozoone19

Feb 12, 2009
AceDiamond said:
chozoone19 said:
Corruption wrapped up everything as far as events pre-Super Metroid, there's still a lot of stuff after Super Metroid to consider (and after Metroid Fusion even, given the way that game ended).

Although it's not very deep, there is a certain charm to the story and mythos of the Metroid series that, when it is explored, comes out very nice.

Thats what I meant, everything up to that point with the Prime series(which would actually be pre-Metroid II). And thats another thing Id like to see, an actual continuation of the series after Fusion. Im dieing to see what happens with Samus after her actions on the BSL.

Simple at its surface but has a huge amount of content if you happen to delve just a little bit deeper. So therefore I thank Rare for giving us the scan visor and log entries.