Update: Microsoft CEO Confirms New Xbox 360 Next Year?

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Update: Microsoft CEO Confirms New Xbox 360 Next Year?

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer seemingly confirmed rumors of a new Xbox today, announcing that a new system equipped with what sounds like Natal will hit store shelves next year.

Rumors have become reality as Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer today made remarks at The Executive's Club of Chicago today, during which he reportedly announced that a new Xbox 360 will launch next year.

TG Daily [http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/42919/118/] reported on the event, and are saying that Ballmer described the system as being equipped with technology that's "really, really close" to real life, and which has a "natural interface" with what TG Daily calls "a built in camera with the ability to recognize movement and voice." Well TG Daily might not know what that technology's called, but I think we can all agree that it's Natal. So, we're getting some sort of system with Natal incorporated in some way next year.

TG Daily says that it's a "new Xbox 360," but considering they didn't know what Natal is called, I'm not entirely sure if they're sure what they're talking about. Ballmer could have been talking about a new SKU (like the Arcade or Elite) that comes with the Natal, which would match with other rumors [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92455-Microsoft-Responds-to-New-Xbox-Rumors]. Or he could have just been talking about Natal in general and TG Daily didn't get that he wasn't talking about a new system.

My money's on a new SKU with a new look, but we'll keep you posted once we know more.

UPDATE: Seems that there's a bit of a communication breakdown going on here. Microsoft's Aaron Greenberg is doing his best to set the record straight regarding these new rumors and his CEO's statements as well. As he tells Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5296104/microsoft-there-will-be-no-new-console]:

"There will be no new console. We're not going to be launching a new console any time soon. I really believe [Ballmer] was speaking about Project Natal."

Which sounds like it confirms my suspicions that the original report wasn't entirely clear on what Ballmer was talking about. As for the possibility of a new SKU, well Greenberg didn't deny it, saying that "yes, we have looked at that, but we haven't announced any details for something like that."

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
I also think it's a new SKU.

It doesn't seem necessary to upgrade the hardware for Natal, and I think a new box would warrant a big announcement.

VitalSigns

May 20, 2009
The Great JT said:
Could it be...X-Box 360: Red Ring Of Death-Proof Edition?
A man can dream.

All in all if the new xbox is for some stupid reason a NATAL only system, they are going to feel some pretty ridiculous sales reprocussions and a total abandonment of the hardcore fan base.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Oh boy! I can't wait to see them release it before it's ready and have a bunch of consoles break down. :D

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
The Great JT said:
Could it be...X-Box 360: Red Ring Of Death-Proof Edition?
Ironically, no. The RRoD is how it is supposed to work. The bug has been that it has allowed you to play games and other media. The new Xbox will now only run the RRoD.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
whoppee, another peripheral &/or console package for me to ignore while I happily use my fat ps2 to watch DVDs. Im so out the loop :,(

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
All the Xbox360 needs is a beer dispenser.

Think about it, ice cold beer AND it's prevent the system from overheating.

You're welcome to the idea, Microsoft!

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Er, this is a suprise how?

I mean, I think that this was sort of a standard announcement. This seems to confirm what I had already thought: they're not making a entirely new Box for Natal, just bundling it with a 360. It'll be like a new 360 Elite. Hopefully they fix them red rings while they're at it so people can stop complaining about 'em.

countrysteaksauce

Jul 10, 2008
Cliff_m85 said:

It must only dispense natty light, blare Eye of the Tiger 24/7 and allow bros to blast their pecs.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
countrysteaksauce said:
Cliff_m85 said:

It must only dispense natty light, blare Eye of the Tiger 24/7 and allow bros to blast their pecs.
I was thinking more of having a sex-hole on the side.

Plus I don't see how any other machine prevents pec flexification.

countrysteaksauce

Jul 10, 2008
Cliff_m85 said:
countrysteaksauce said:
Cliff_m85 said:

I was thinking more of having a sex-hole on the side.

Plus I don't see how any other machine prevents pec flexification.
But playing xbox and blasting pecs are hard to do at the same time.

super_smash_jesus

Dec 11, 2007
CarrionRoc said:
How about a 360 that doesn't die too quickly and has wi-fi built in?
why they didn't have wi-fi built in to begin with is a mystery to me. My money is on a new box, with a larger hardrive with a possibility of a fix on all the issues plaguing the 360 right now (overheating, and RROD)