Why Modern Warfare 2 Does Not Have Co-op

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Why Modern Warfare 2 Does Not Have Co-op

Some Call of Duty fans might be disappointed that Modern Warfare 2 is dropping the co-op that was in World at War, but developer Infinity Ward thinks it's for the best.

While Treyarch brought the Call of Duty franchise into the "co-op age" with World at War's two-to-four player co-op modes on and offline, Infinity Ward's Modern Warfare 2 won't be sporting a co-op campaign mode in any shape or form. Why not, especially after World at War did it? Well, Infinity Ward says it's just a matter of how their campaign is built.

"We don't do co-op in our story because we're crafting a very specific experience and we don't want to ruin that by cramming co-op into it," Infinity Ward's Robert Bowling told VideoGamer [http://www.videogamer.com/news/infinity_ward_two-player_the_magic_number_for_co-op.html]. Story, Bowling explained, is "all about pacing," and sometimes having more than one player in the mix can kill that pacing. Instead, Infinity Ward will "take the moments that work really well with co-op, we bring them out and we put them in Special Ops."

Special Ops is a two-player co-op mode separate from the campaign that sets specific challenges for players and is meant to be endlessly replayabale. "It's about playing over and over again, getting a better time - you'll have a time at the end of it - it's about challenging a friend going in on co-op and trying to beat it on Veteran," Bowling explained.

The mode has been likened to the memorable Mile High Club mission that served as an epilogue for Call of Duty 4, which should get you interested, but why only two players instead of more? "Two player seemed to be the magic number for co-op," Bowling said, a remark that clarifies even more the philosophical differences between his studio and Treyarch, which had four-player co-op online in World at War. "That's when it stayed really fun and intense without becoming a clusterf**k of things. We just found that two players was the most fun."

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
It is kind of disappointing, multiplayer is fun, but is is probably for the good of the story. It is a little less character development with two people, I am fine with this.

MasterSqueak

May 10, 2009
It sounds like a good idea to seperate the Co-Op from the Campaign. Why am I even posting here? Blargh.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
isnt this old news? im sure they mentioned this back at E3
either way atleast they still have some co-op

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
LimaBravo said:
Because no ones wants co-op clearly. We would rather watch shitty cutscenes and crawl around dieing of radiation.

Co-op bad left 4 dead has no fans of note, again co-op no one wants it.

Apart from every gamer Ive ever met.
Majority of the people enjoyed the single player campaign for what it was. What you deem "shitty cutscenes" made it popular, and my guess is that crawling around and dieing of radiation was your own fault. That never happened to me. I mean, you are entitled to your opinion, but as a business they have to go with what will sell the most.

I like what they're doing. I mean, I enjoy co-op, but half the time when my friend and I play co-op in anything we're killing each other for a laugh. I enjoyed CoD 4's single player campaign more than almost any other FPS, and I like the fact that they're sticking to what worked.

eelel

May 29, 2009
NoMoreSanity said:
I agree with that, the campaign has really memorable set pieces and moments that won't work at all with co-op. Though Special Ops will rape me in game from what I've saw of it.
To true but fortunetly you can play Special Ops with more experienced people.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
I'll be honest, I probably wouldn't play the single player anyway if I have a decent enough PC to run it when it comes out.
So, no real loss for me. However, it would have been a nice addition.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
ZeroMachine said:
LimaBravo said:
Because no ones wants co-op clearly. We would rather watch shitty cutscenes and crawl around dieing of radiation.

Majority of the people enjoyed the single player campaign for what it was. What you deem "shitty cutscenes" made it popular, and my guess is that crawling around and dieing of radiation was your own fault. That never happened to me. I mean, you are entitled to your opinion, but as a business they have to go with what will sell the most.

I like what they're doing. I mean, I enjoy co-op, but half the time when my friend and I play co-op in anything we're killing each other for a laugh. I enjoyed CoD 4's single player campaign more than almost any other FPS, and I like the fact that they're sticking to what worked.
The radiation bit LimaBravo is referring to is for the American Missions when the middle eastern country your attacking has a nuclear bomb of sorts detonated and there's a small level where you walk around falling over with the screen glowing red before you finally fall over and your character dies. I personally thought this was a genius touch, on par with the death-bed ending for Bioshock

OT; I do really like co-op, but making it competitive should suffice as long as it really is infinitely re-playable

Halfbreed13

Apr 21, 2009
Wizzie said:
I'll be honest, I probably wouldn't play the single player anyway if I have a decent enough PC to run it when it comes out.
Is this not for PC?

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
messy said:
ZeroMachine said:
LimaBravo said:

The radiation bit LimaBravo is referring to is for the American Missions when the middle eastern country your attacking has a nuclear bomb of sorts detonated and there's a small level where you walk around falling over with the screen glowing red before you finally fall over and your character dies. I personally thought this was a genius touch, on par with the death-bed ending for Bioshock

OT; I do really like co-op, but making it competitive should suffice as long as it really is infinitely re-playable
That's what he was talking about? What the hell? That part was fucking genious! It sent chills up my spine! I though he was talking about the missions in Chernobyl! I didn't even count that part, it just feels like an interactive cutscene.

Wow o_O picky, picky LimaBravo...

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
Keane Ng said:
"It's about playing over and over again, getting a better time - you'll have a time at the end of it - it's about challenging a friend going in on co-op and trying to beat it on Veteran," Bowling explained.
I really dislike this sentiment, though it fits in with the "speed running" topic of this week. I don't like speed running, I don't like trying to get the best time, I don't want to overcome brutal odds that are meant to frustrate you until you finally win, and I know a lot of other people feel this way. I like experiencing a story with my friends. I really, really want co-op campaign, and Special Ops could not exist for all I care.

It seems they're catering to one school of thought while completely ignoring a whole group of previous fans who loved a feature that's now discontinued.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Halfbreed13 said:
Wizzie said:
Is this not for PC?
It will probably be on all systems, I dunno.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
World at War had no specific co-op moments. They only time I played it was by accident when, instead of Nazi Zombies, we loaded Semper Fi

Nukey

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2009
why not a a separate co-op campaign? or why can't the other players be some of the basic generic soldier's and keep the focus on the main guy?