Square-Enix Teases New Game

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Square-Enix Teases New Game

Square-Enix has a mysterious new teaser site up with a countdown clock. Judging by the title of the site, we're guessing it's for a new game.

Head to this url [http://www.square-enix.co.jp/0706/] on Square-Enix's Japanese site, and you'll be greeted with a quaint little sketch of a pastoral scene. The number 4 rests on the right hand side of the window, with a countdown clock currently ticking down from the 200s sitting above it. Whatever purpose could this site serve? Well...I don't know, guessing from the title of the site my browser is displaying, I'm guessing it's for a NEW GAME.

Subtlety, clearly, is not the forte of whoever put this little package together. As a teaser it definitely meets its aim, however, namely: to tease. I don't have many guesses to wager as to what NEW GAME this site is hinting at, though that 4 seems awfully indicative. Square fans have already put two and two together and figured that this could be for Romancing SaGa 4, or maybe a new Secret of Mana (the main series would be on its fourth title in Japan, where it's Seiken Densetsu).

SaGa seems to be the more likely of the two possibilities, considering the familiarity of the art and music on the teaser site. SaGa has always had a very painterly art style, which reached its peak in the watercolor-esque graphics in SaGa Frontier 2. The series has never really had the same sort of mega-success that Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest do, but hey, you guys are always complaining that Square needs to do different stuff.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Not another clock... the Metal Gear Solid : Rising reveal clocks were a big waste of time; as is this...

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
DanniXXX said:
My guess: For Kingdom Hearts 4 - Kingdom Hearts being so gret it skips 3 and goes straight to 4.
I think this is an awesome idea. You have everyone spreading rumors of what they had to do to KH3. It would be like the old school Final Fantasy games all over again, which is pretty appropriate.

Dang Japanese with their non-existant copies of Kingdom Hearts 3.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I think it'd be hilarious if this was a teaser for a movie called NEW GAME. That'd show us! ... before it came out and sucked like Square's other movies...

And what's up with all the clock-teasers? The only game that I think that really worked for was the Chrono Trigger port to DS, for obvious reasons.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Jarico said:
D_987 said:
Not another clock... the Metal Gear Solid : Rising reveal clocks were a big waste of time; as is this...
I think I remember that...It was on an episode of Machinima's Inside Gaming, they looked into the web script (laugh at me) and figured out that the larger number meant how many times the actual timer had to count down...The date that it was timing down to? E3...
Yep, but someone on The Escapist realized one of the clocks was about to finished so a group on the forums waited for 45 minutes to see what would happen - another clock appeared.

Mackinator

Apr 21, 2009
I really hate teasers. Just tell us what it is or go back to your hole and make me some more games.

God's Clown

Aug 8, 2008
Maybe for fun it's like Breath of fire, though the music slightly reminds me of FF9. I don't know. I am highly doubting Kingdom Hearts. Maybe for awesome good times it'll be Ogre Battle.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
my guess is: I don't give a crap.

In all seriousness though I think it'll be a new IP... the background suggests that it miight be a cell-shaded game, similar in art style to Valkyria Chronicles.

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
This clock'll end at about 4am on the 6th of July, in the UK at least. Just thought I'd work that out for ya.

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
DanniXXX said:
My guess: For Kingdom Hearts 4 - Kingdom Hearts being so gret it skips 3 and goes straight to 4.
Well KH2 is actually the third game so far, but the SaGa answer makes more sense

PhantomCritic

May 9, 2009
D_987 said:
De ja vu, it seems that all game developers have gotten this silly idea in their heads that this serves a "useful" purpose, in reality all it does is waste time as you say.

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
My guess is Grandia 4. If that's what it turns out to be, I want some kind of prediction prize or something.