166: Beat Your Game to Death

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
wait a minute, did this article get re-published? I coulda sworn I've read this before.
This is the "Best Of" issue.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Hardcore gamers buy less games than casual gamers do they? Wrong. The average hardcore gamer will have at least 100 games and the average casual gamer will have at most a dozen.
The truth is that these days there are far fewer hardcore gamers (proportionally) and importantly they are cynical and hard nosed, they're not going to swallow shit from publishers, they know a good game and they know what they want.

I think the author here is confused about the terms "hardcore gamer" and "casual gamer", the only real difference is the amount and quality of games consumed, rather than the way games are played as the author suggests. Obsessive play isn't the preserve of the hardcore gamer, in fact many casual games are built around the idea of obsessive play. The difference is that hardcore gamers play games with depth that are worth sinking hundreds of hours into.
Of course i'm referring to PC gamers here who are a different breed to console gamers, there may well be a qualitative difference in casual and hardcore gamers between the console and the PC.

Unfortunately it is true however that the sector is split, with developers and hardcore gamers on one side and casuals and soulless publishers/money-men on the other. Even more unfortunately the casuals and money-men hold all the cards, i.e. the casuals have the strength of numbers and a money-men have power over the developers.

The lowest common denominator shits the bed again... sigh.