Rare NES Game Sells for $17,500

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Rare NES Game Sells for $17,500

Would you pay $17,500 for a videogame that doesn't even last seven minutes? That's what one enthusiastic classic game collector did for a copy of the "Holy Grail" of classic games, a gold copy of Nintendo World Championships.

What's the most you've ever paid for a videogame? Did you buy the absurd Halo 3 Collector's Edition with the cat helmet? Did you get Steel Battalion? Have you ever shelled out big bucks for a rare game like Panzer Dragoon Saga or Marvel vs. Capcom 2? Whatever your story of irresponsible spending, it probably can't compare to J.J. Hendricks' saga of how he came to own the Holy Grail [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_World_Championships] of classic games, Nintendo World Championships Gold for the NES.

Hendricks shelled out $17,500 for the cartridge, which is one of only 26 existent, but the cash was only part of the cost of getting his hands on the game, he says. His experience acquiring the game was full of "emotional highs and lows," as he recalled in a blog [http://blog.videogamepricecharts.com/2009/06/how-i-got-nintendo-world-championships.html].

Having spotted the cartridge for auction on eBay for $25,000, Hendricks offered the seller $17,500, an offer which was initially rebuffed. When the seller couldn't find anyone else, he agreed to Hendricks' price. Ten days passed after Hendricks wired over the 17 grand, but he never got the game, in fact, right after the seller said he was about to ship the game, FedEx sent Hendricks a "shipment canceled" notice.

"Sorry, I've decided not to sell it," the seller wrote to Hendricks. "I love the game too much."

Two days later Hendricks emailed the seller telling him they have a contract and he must honor it, to which the seller agreed and admitted his guilt over having "cheated" Hendricks. He shipped the game, and after non-stop refreshing of the FedEx status page, the delivery finally arrived at Hendricks' door.

"Nintendo World Championships Gold is neatly packaged inside with a custom built display case and looks just as good as I imagined it would," Hendricks wrote. "I have the 'Holy Grail of Gaming' and the emotional ride is finally over."

So, this must be some game, right? Nope, not really. Nintendo World Championships is really just a collection of three minigames from Mario, Rad Racer and Tetris that kids once competed in back in 1990 to see who was the best at NES. There's a time limit of six minutes and 21 seconds on the game, so essentially, somebody just paid $17,500 for less than seven minutes of gaming. Nintendo World Championships has previously sold for as high as $15,000.

[Via Yahoo! [http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/the-17-500-video-game/1332488]]

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
Wow, I can think of thousands of things to better spend 17,000 on. Ridiculous.

black lincon

Aug 21, 2008
My god. I once spent $60 on a used copy of the Legend of Zelda: Collectors Edition, that was when new games cost $50. My dad thought I was crazy.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Well, if you're a collector, and rich, this sounds like the ultimate item, the penny black of NES games, so I can... sort of understand it.

I'm with ya tho, to me this would be so far down my list of priorities it'd be in danger of being inflated by Digdug.

My most indulgent buy would be a Japanese SNES cart of Streetfighter II, cost me about £120 including the adaptor to play foreign games. Think I paid about £80 for FF3/6 too, but the sheer hours I logged on that almost makes that a bargain, and to be fair I put in a LOT of hours on SF2 too.

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
I have a gold copy of the original Zelda... or I did... its hanging around somewhere I imagine...

I never ever even owned a nintendo either, I bought it off someone in like grade 6 for a couple dollars just to have. It was shiny and I loved A link to the past so I was like, theres a shiny zelda? AWESOME!

I miss when zelda used to be shiny... :(

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
The Rockerfly said:
He paid over 9000?
¬_____¬ Stop. RIGHT there.

And with $17000 I could the Ultimate PC suited to my needs, Get NES Emulator, and play that game absolutely free.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Well it is a collectible to it's likely to increase in value not depreciate. So it's basically the stock market, but you happen to be a little more attached to it then your one millionth percent of a share of Jack's Apple Pie Shop.

WrcklessIntent

Apr 16, 2009
I'm sorry but that is the biggest waste of money. I mean just try to imagine how many hookers you could get with that kind of money. You tell me which is the better buy

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
The Rockerfly said:
He paid over 9000?
Heh XD

Also, I think it's a good buy. It clearly gives him a lot of pleasure, and pleasure is what you should spend your money on, whatever it is.

incinerate94 said:
I'm sorry but that is the biggest waste of money. I mean just try to imagine how many hookers you could get with that kind of money. You tell me which is the better buy
This for example.

Epifols

Aug 30, 2008
How the hell is that the Holy Grail of gaming?

Just because it's rare doesn't mean anything. A studio could make a crappy game and only publish 1 copy, that won't make it any better.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Epifols said:
How the hell is that the Holy Grail of gaming?

Just because it's rare doesn't mean anything. A studio could make a crappy game and only publish 1 copy, that won't make it any better.
QFT.

GamerPhate

Aug 22, 2008
I have played this game though!

When I was kid years ago, Nintendo came into town with some kind of big convention. It was a tie in to the movie The Wizard of course! And they had the competition there as part of the expo! You got to play in it just like the movie (although I assure you it wasn't as "epic" lol) I don't recall fireworks or anything, but they did try to do it up a bit hehe. But it was really kewl to try to play with the timer in place against others I guess.

They had some mini shows, and I won like a Nintendo Fanny Pack that was black for answering some Metal Gear question about a Frequency number (I only remembered cause I heard the show a few times throughout the day, hehe) The whole convention was really awesome though, as they had nearly hundreds of game console setups with new games that had not come out yet. You got to try a little bit of everything, and stuff that you didn't even know was going to come out. I think I remember seeing Chip N Dales 2 and like the Magic Kingdom and a few others, I can't recall all of it, it was sooo long ago.

And lastly, this being the late 80's / early 90's, they had a Mario Music Video thing you could dance with Mario and have your own music video all 80's effects style made. LOL, sadly I do still have this VHS somewhere, and it is too embarrassing to ever upload to youtube. Although if I ever did do it, I would likely instantly get more hits than I would ever like, hehe. LOL, also the whole thing was really a ploy to push the Mario Fruit Snacks that had just come out (as the song uses it in the chorus)

But when I saw this post it reminded me of that who thing, and I thought I would share. I would like to play that game again some day, but again I do not think I would be willing to fork 15 to 25k to own it either. I could do far more eccentric and ridiculous things with that kind of money that would make the press :)