Rare NES Game Sells for $17,500

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
And I feel guilty for pre-ordering the special edition Batman with the cheap plastic batarang.

I cannot understand why people pay so much for things like that. I can understand a few hundred bucks but that is a down payment on a house or the budget for all the games for the rest of your life.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Just imagine how many strippers h you could put through college with that money.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
Nobody is even mentioning that the seller canceled the shipment because the game meant too much to him. For $17,500 I would probably even sell one of my testicles, and wouldn't have a second thought, much less cancel it after I received payment.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I can respect a collector paying that much for something for their collection. I can't respect anyone who spends that much money on something being sent through the mail. That's quite a dangerous risk.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Um, excuse me, I stood in line with my college roommate for three hours outside of GameStop while he bought the Halo 3 Collector's Edition, and that helmet is anything but absurd. Sure, it doesn't actually function, and it's about 3/4ths scale, and basically is a big DVD holder, but man, everybody who came into the room commented on it. I like to think of it as a $60 conversation piece.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Yes, I am surprised he tried to broker a deal of that size via Ebay.

As far as paying big bucks for the cartrige itself, I see no real issue. It's no worse than a baseball card or comic book collector. I imagine that cart is going to do nothing if not increase in price, and will probably become the "Original Superman #1" of game collection.

xHipaboo420x

Apr 22, 2009
Just.... crikey. I've got a whole raft of NES games in a box, I might check how much some of the cartridges I don't tend to play with tend to go for.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Indigo_Dingo said:
Slycne said:
Well it is a collectible to it's likely to increase in value not depreciate. So it's basically the stock market, but you happen to be a little more attached to it then your one millionth percent of a share of Jack's Apple Pie Shop.
And the entire market could drop out instantly when people realize they're paying 17,500 for cartridges that are inferior to regular games.
Collectibles are not traded on the value of their actual worth though. Babe Ruth cards are not valuable because he was the world's greatest baseball player and the DeLorean is certainly not the best car ever made, but they are valuable because of their scarcity. Now you can argue that value should not be based on rarity, but this is one of the building blocks of most economic systems. It's simply supply and demand. The supply of this cartridge is extremely limited. There is also a demand to go along with this, people obviously want to acquire this(sure it might seem silly to us, but it's his money he can do what he wants). Limited supply with a demand for the items equals a nice fat payout.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
hopeneverdies said:
Flying-Emu said:
Pics or it didn't happen.
I ain't making this shit up
Full House Tournament Fighter Turbo
[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiUU0F81yYE[/link]
My cousin has that game. Being a child watching full house, it was fucking awesome.

DM.

Mar 27, 2009
Keane Ng said:
Have you ever shelled out big bucks for a rare game like Panzer Dragoon Saga
Thanks for reminding me that I still haven't gotten past disc 1. :mad:

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
I think the shiny gold plate of the cartridge was what made it a collectible.