"Morality Moments" Coming to Army of Two

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
"Morality Moments" Coming to Army of Two

[gametrailers=53110]​
Army of Two: The 40th Day [http://www.ea.com] giving a brief look at the game's new "morality moments," which include contributions from comic book artists Chris Bachalo and Jock.

In Army of Two: The 40th Day, players will be confronted with situations in which they will be forced to choose one of two courses of action, each with its own unique consequences. The point, said Creative Director Alex Hutchinson, is to allow players to "express themselves as a partnership in the game-space... We really want players to be able to say, 'Who are you when nobody's watching?'"

"What we want to do is get at least a few moments in our game that take co-op outside the TV and onto the couch," he continued. "We want people to argue with each other, to debate a decision with each other, to figure out sometimes what you think is the right choice will have unwanted consequences."

After making their choices, players will see those consequences played out through a series of still shots that illustrate how each decision impacts the lives of the people involved. Those images will be created by noted comic artists Jock [http://chrisbachalo.net/], also known as Mark Simpson, who has a long association with 2000 AD and provided art for other famed characters including Hellblazer and Green Arrow.

Will it work? Will players engage one another in the sort of conversations Hutchinson envisions? It would be fantastic if it happened but I think it's very unlikely. For one thing, players get tired of "unwanted consequences," which is inevitably just shorthand for "sneaky tricks pulled by the developer to remind people that the world is a random and awful place." In the video, for instance, Salem attempts to disarm a security guard but an accidental discharge and a one-in-a-million freak ricochet results in the guard's death instead. When players choose not to kill a guy and he ends up dead anyway, the exercise begins to look futile - and that's when people stop caring.

And the very nature of the game makes the successful inclusion of a morality system dubious at best. Games in which moral choices are a natural fit have trouble pulling it off; why are we supposed to care about a "morality moment" in the middle of a game about two mercenary meatheads who kill people by the truckload? Maybe I'm off-base, but I'm having a hard time seeing this as much more than a pointless gimmick. We'll find out soon enough; Army of Two: The 40th Day is slated for release later this year for the PSP [http://www.xbox.com].

Strategia

za Rodina, tovarishchii
Mar 21, 2008
2009/10/27
GTA V to feature moral choice system

One of the features in the recently announced fifth installment in the Grand Theft Auto series will include moral choices during key missions, according to its lead developer.

One example was cited as follows: "For instance, during one mission, you'll be asked to kill a gang member who's been leaking information to the cops. But as you chase him, he hijacks a bus full of orphans. The choice now becomes to let him get away and suffer the consequences, or blow up the bus - with the orphans still in it."
"Discussion on the couch"? "Partnership outside the game"? Players supposed to care about arbitrary characters introduced at random? I don't know what they're smoking, but I want some.

Woem

May 28, 2009
Kwil said:
Psst.. the choice wasn't to kill the guy or not.. it was to take the weapons or return them, and the two chose to take the weapons, with the result that the security guard died.
Exactly.

I'm afraid people will get punished for making the "good" choice. For instance if you let someone live, that he will grow up to be a gangster that enslaves orphans. For instance in the example with the guard (as far as I can see) he gets bribed and bad things happen.

Wilfy

Oct 4, 2008
If I'm perfectly honest, it would annoy the hell out of me if when all I do is take a gun and the guard ends up dead.
Not that I'd care that the guard died. Just that the game didn't do what I wanted it to.
And what was that about discussing what you were going to do? Chances are one of you will just press a button.

shifty89

Jul 21, 2009
An unneeded system to a fail of a game. I think there's plenty of other things that could be worked on before introducing things like this, For instance the game mechanics just do not work in my opinion.

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
As long as no one works gay sex into this I'm sure it will be adequate, and by adequate I mean it won't detract from the game play like some moral choice systems do.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
In their defense, I played Kane & Lynch all the way through on co-op and when we got to the final choice between taking the Helicopter or saving the Dead Men, it turned into a pretty fierce argument between me and the other player.

He was Kane, I was Lynch. Since one choice involved me getting left behind & dying, I wasn't really for it. To him, keeping the kid alive was the most important thing.

So yeah, this could work, not sure how often though.

Woem

May 28, 2009
Eh. When combined with Alpha Protocol's sex scenes this could lead to distasteful and unsatisfying "partnership outside the game".

mykalwane

Oct 18, 2008
See that choice I got to agree with shifty89. Nice idea but wrong setting. If it was something more along the lines of effecting wither you got the rocket launcher or a minigun(the name of the weapon the heavy in Team Fortress 2 carries if I got the wrong name) it might make more sense. Even something more along the lines wither to keep someone alive so the big boss comes out or kill the guy and go threw all the cronies to get to the big boss would make more sense. One may prefer to simply run and gun threw killing everyone, or just take out the boss so the cronies run away or are easier to take out makes more sense. One choice isn't better then the other since both lead to killing the big boss. Choices like that would be more fitting, and would make more sense, since it effects how you play. Going with a what if cut scene from your choices most people aren't going to care about. If killing the guy means more ammo, kill him. In this kind of game, moral doesn't matter, getting the job does. Unless it means that moving about the area is easier since the guy will be manning the camera room, no one will care. Unless both choices effect how you play the game as simply different advantages one will get it doesn't matter. Then will people think, because it means more ammo or make it easier to track the enemies. Unless it does that it will just be more of choice doesn't matter.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Kwil said:
Psst.. the choice wasn't to kill the guy or not.. it was to take the weapons or return them, and the two chose to take the weapons, with the result that the security guard died.
True, sort of; the video says, "Salem chose to disarm the security guard," obviously implying that the mini-meathead is going to take the guard's gun away so they don't have to kill him. Disarming him means choosing not to kill him, but he ends up dead anyway. And yes, that shit can happen in real life, but this isn't a case of freakishly bad luck, this is the developer purposely setting up a situation in which the guy dies because the player made the "wrong" choice.

9NineBreaker9

Nov 1, 2007
Malygris said:
... is to allow players to "express themselves as a partnership in the game-space... We really want players to be able to say, 'Who are you when nobody's watching?'"
I thought they were getting rid of the homoerotic undertones in the second Army of Two?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I just groaned when the guard dies and they show a random picture of his wife and son. Crappy implication of sympathy is crappy!

Teh_Doomage

Jan 11, 2009
Morality systems in most games will always fail, because of the simple fact that, there are lots of little tiny shades of gray. Not everything is good or evil.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
do they not realise that i won't care? i'm sorry developers, but a guard who dies 20 seconds after i meet him is not going to affect me

TheEnglishman

Jun 13, 2009
From the example in the video there didn't seem to be any difference to the main characters no matter what your choice, you both continued on, just with an extra cut scene.